Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 02:06 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,780,745 times

Advertisements

I used to live down in East Sac on the 7th floor of a condo tower between 2 freeways. I always slept with the window open, loved that fresh air. Once I got used to the constant hum, I found the sound sort of comforting, like white noise. The black dust mentioned above was never an issue in comparison with the green pine dust. I've never experienced the Roseville trains, but I know the ones in Antelope are loud. Aren't they the same tracks? I would not want to live anywhere in close proximity to an active train track with trains blowing horns, especially at night. No way. And thankfully, I rarely hear the freight planes flying over my house into Mather at night. But, everyone has a different level of tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:55 AM

8,679 posts, read 17,186,497 times
Sounds like the light rail tracks a couple blocks from the condo on R Street weren't a problem then?

Old 10-24-2014, 12:52 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,780,745 times
Light rail doesn't make that much noise. It's not the same as a freight train with a loud air horn (or whatever they blow). I had a much different situation than most of the other posters. The walls of that condo was made out of concrete. The loudest noice I routinely heard, was the helicopters flying into UCDMC, which was directly across the treeline from my condo, or other police search 'copters

Old 10-25-2014, 03:10 AM

51 posts, read 59,347 times
The main health hazard is from breathing asbestos dust which rubs off the train wheels. But air quality is so terrible in Sacramento even if you do not live near train tracks you still breath in particulate that causes cancer. There is no place in Sac with clean air quality.

For 11 years I lived within 200 feet of train tracks and thought the noise was annoying. It was in Midtown near 26th and C streets. Then I moved to Midtown near 17th and G. No train tracks but the most godawfully noisy neighborood with hard partying neighbors who are carousing in the back alley at 4 am plus pot head neighbors who stink up the entire block with skunky weed. Wish I never moved from that apt next to train tracks. It actually was sort of romantic sounding and much nicer than pot head hard partying screaming downtown midtown neighbors.

I think housing prices might be a bit lower next to the tracks? I lived near train tracks 11 yes and got used to it and sure wish I never moved since the noisy neighbors are much worse. Barking dogs are more annoying than train sounds since a dog can bark for hours and trains are usually once every couple of hours.

Last edited by TruthTeller1954; 10-25-2014 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento