Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:51 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,831 times

Advertisements

What are considered the best schools in the sac area? I am open to private schools as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 03:17 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
UMMM What part of Sacramento????? YOu are talking about a really big area. And if you live in the suburbs (where the good schools are) then you are also looking at Roseville/Rocklin/Lincoln/Granit Bay/Folsom & El Dorado Hills plus even Elk Grove.

YOU tell US where you are thinking of living and we'll help you find a good school

Plus have you tried GreatSchools.net?

Old 06-18-2008, 04:13 PM

Well, I am thinking Fair Oaks and Orangevale. Our daughter goes to a great preschool in Citrus heights and we presently live in Folsom. We don't like Folsom at all. She is in a montessori school. We are looking at buying a home now since prices are good still. Our daughter will only go there for 2-3 more years.

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:23 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
My son went to a Montessori and we didn't like it at all. But that's up here.

We are thinking of moving to Folsom, so why don't you like it?

If you move to Fair Oaks and are willing to pay for private school - I'd say try Country Day, it's very nice

Old 06-18-2008, 04:31 PM

We have lived in Folsom for 8 years and everyone seems to be the same. Everyone looks the same and acts the same. I find people (not all) are snobby and couldn't care about anything but themselves. I could go on and on. I find other people in other areas are much more approachable and that is one of the reasons we want out of Folsom.

The Montessori my daughter goes to is excellent. The school just opened in April but their official opening is for this Fall. It is called Whispering Oaks Montessori Academy. I saw country day and heard some negative things as well. The tuition is high, very high. I never heard of the school but it is one to keep in mind. I have looked at some schools in Orangevale and some have great scores and it is very parent involved. We would move to Davis but home prices are crazy.

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 13,574 times
Default Whispering Oaks is a GREAT school

My husband and I toured it today. What a wonderful school. We live in EDH and I'm even contemplating driving down there 3 days a week so he can attend...maybe you'd want to carpool while you still live in Folsom?

Ed and Shima Daniels (the creators of this school) are clients and dear friends of my husband. This has been a passion and dream of Shima's for years and years. It is wonderful to see someone who cares SOOOO much for children to realize her dream and a dream that our young children are the beneficiaries of! I'm so thrilled to hear your daughter enjoys the school! We are HUGE fans of Montesorri ourselves. just never found one we loved enough to make the change.

We know of a GREAT realtor that is VERY familiar w/ the Fair Oaks/Orangevale area if you need a referral!
Best wishes!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:11 AM

Missy,
I pm'd you

Old 06-22-2008, 01:15 PM

179 posts, read 768,565 times
OH WOW! I was so happy to see this thread!! We LOVE Shima and her school (we were also at her open house yesterday!). We are going to enroll our 2.5 year old daughter there probably for starting in July or August. We first met with Shima about a month ago and fell in love with her school and she is a wonderful woman. Then I went back with my 2.5 year old DD and we observed two classes (they are very small still), but I really loved the two teachers that we met. I have such a great feeling about that school.

Currently, my oldest child attends Claire's Montessori in Orangevale and I can't say enough good things about Claire and her school. The teachers are top notch and the children are so very sweet and nice. I love it beyond words and we are going to keep our oldest child there because she is doing so well. She loves her teacher and classmates and I just don't have the heart to pull her from that school (as much as I also love Shima's school). I only wish we could afford to send all of our kids to Claire's, but right now it's just not possible because I am a SAHM and don't plan on going back to work until our youngest is in school (she's only 18 mo.)

So, I think we will have the best of both worlds - one child at Claire's, one child at Whispering Oak. You can't go wrong with either school.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:28 PM

141 posts, read 534,799 times
You want to move from Folsom to Orangevale for a change and you think Davis is too expensive? I think your mindset is a complete paradox. If you want something different than Folsom you'll have to go to the BAy ARea or LA. Moving to Orangevale is like moving from one development in folsom to another. Good luck but I don't think you'll find what you're looking for and I don't think you even know what ou want.

You'll find great public schools in Folsom, Rocklin, Granite Bay, etc... as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
We have lived in Folsom for 8 years and everyone seems to be the same. Everyone looks the same and acts the same. I find people (not all) are snobby and couldn't care about anything but themselves. I could go on and on. I find other people in other areas are much more approachable and that is one of the reasons we want out of Folsom.

The Montessori my daughter goes to is excellent. The school just opened in April but their official opening is for this Fall. It is called Whispering Oaks Montessori Academy. I saw country day and heard some negative things as well. The tuition is high, very high. I never heard of the school but it is one to keep in mind. I have looked at some schools in Orangevale and some have great scores and it is very parent involved. We would move to Davis but home prices are crazy.

Thanks.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:55 PM

52 posts, read 349,846 times
Folsom happens to be one of the best places in CA to live. We just moved from the Bay Area and if your not rich don't even think about moving there. And if you think everyone is the same here you will find it much worse there and the schools stink (unless you are rich).

If you are in the newer part of Folsom I could see what you are talking about but it's same for most newer areas. but the schools inFolsom are about as good as you can get for public schools. When we were in the Bay Area we had to do private schools and I just could not think of paying the cost from K-12 and then collage, do the math it's a lot.

Since the values are down unless you are renting you would be better off going to private schools in the short term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento