Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:30 AM

110 posts, read 664,823 times

Advertisements

Could someone please give me some info on Elk Grove,such as best neighboorhoods, schools, overall opinion on city...good and bad.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 24,844 times
Default Living in Elk Grove

I have lived in Elk Grove over 5 years now. The city has grown incredibly fast. It used to be a nice little town where you would travel to Sacramento (15-45min drive depending on time of day) if you needed a mall or nice restaraunt. In the last five years, we have acquired alot of new restaraunts, shopping centers and traffic. The city is attempting to upgrade the roads to handle the traffic, but with all of the stop lights a 5 mile drive can take you 15 minutes. There are alot of nice neighborhoods, parks for the kids are everywhere and the schools are o.k. It is a lovely place to live but has changed from the small town to a small city.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:42 PM

49 posts, read 385,518 times
Elk grove is just growing too fast for me. I like Folsom (though it is also growing fast). Most Elk Grove schools are great. Check out elk-grove.com for more opinions

Matt
fromthecapitol.com

Old 01-30-2007, 12:23 AM

3 posts, read 27,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowner View Post
Could someone please give me some info on Elk Grove,such as best neighboorhoods, schools, overall opinion on city...good and bad.Thanks.

Not to get personal or anything but are you Asian? If so Elk Grove is a good place to live near. Lots of good asian restuarants and shopping there. My wife and I love asian food and in Tracy we are just too far away from good restuarants and shopping centers. We have to go to Fremont and Milpitas if we want to get a good authentic dinner or for her grocery shopping and that is over an hour drive for us.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:11 PM

5 posts, read 44,595 times
Default Elk Grove Changes

I moved to Elk Grove 3 years ago to get away from the Bay Area-type environment. At first, I liked EG, but now I dislike the area --- it has become very similar to the Bay Area (San Jose): traffic, inconsiderate people, speeding, crime and if you do some research, you'll see that EG has just put together the largest (per capita) anti-gang force in Sacramento county.

Including myself, I know several people, which are moving out of the area and or state. I live in a nice neighborhood: my car was stolen from in front of my house in broad daylight. A house down the street was busted for being a "pot house", in other words, the house, along with 12 others in EG where busted for being places to grow hundreds of plants.

Furthermore, more and more low-income housing is being built, which the police department has been determined to be locations and surrounding areas of higher crime.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but I would not consider moving to EG.

One more thing, the schools are slipping; I know three teachers, and their opinion is that the schools are going down and overcrowding. In fact, the EG school system has to be year 'round with multiple tracks.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:31 PM

110 posts, read 664,823 times
Thanks for your honest opinion on the Elk Grove area.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:04 AM

1 posts, read 22,432 times
Cool what happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowner View Post
hi my quote is that elk grove used to be a quiet nice calm city. never heard of people getting killed or teens racing their cars in the middle of the day, and never saw cops on every corner posted waiting to pull someone over! rediculous and out of hand is what i think of elk grove. extremely rude people that dont care about anybody but themselves. where did they all come from south sac? somebody needs to take control.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:08 PM

163 posts, read 773,769 times
Depends on what you want. I don't like it too much.

It's a typical California sprawling, overcrowded, chain store/chain restaurant, tract homes far as the eye can see type of suburb.

Sure most of it is "nice" in that it's new and safe....and boring.

Again, if you like that sort a thing.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:04 AM

9 posts, read 52,479 times
A lot of Elk Grove is perfectly fine in terms of crime and looks. Too many people now. Was once America's fastest growing city. lots of business and retail stores and cars.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:33 PM

9 posts, read 59,058 times
Elk Grove looks like a quaint, growing city on the outside - but don't let that fool you. The proximity to the worst crime-ridden area of the region, South Sacramento, is only a few miles away. The result is too much cross over crime, gang activity, street racing and an overall uneasiness that coats the city - like a bomb waiting to go off. The headlines reflect this almost daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento