Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:27 PM

184 posts, read 796,426 times

Advertisements

I think Sacramento will flood before they really get concerned. They are to busy worrying about new things they can build to make people want to live here. But this true with anything that should be top priority. Like they talk about fixing existing roads, but instead they just build more new roads.

My Two Cents,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 09:51 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,871,801 times
Have a look at the quality of most of our freeways or other infrastructure around this state and it will give you an idea of how our State Government has been maintaining things for more than a decade

California's Government has been lousy in spending wisely or on the priorities, and lousy in maintenance,but hopefully things will turn around with Governor Schwarzenegger in office,but this isn't an overnight fix,but we can just hope things will improve in the future for our Beautiful State.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:51 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,423,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerLV View Post
I'm not from the area (moving there in April), so sorry in advance for the ignorance. Sounds like a lot of the developments in the flood-prone areas such as Natomas are new or newer. Does anyone know how or even better, why, the city/county approved such huge developments on those tracts of land? Did they make the developers work in flood drainage or something? Or just the usual too many permits, too much growth, rubber stamp everything too quickly? Wondering if there are other areas they approved that shouldn't have been for any other negative reasons?
Politics It was rubber stamped for the 100 year plane and certified by FEMA, then they found "seepage" miraculously after Katrina hit. They are hitting up Washington for money...unfortunately, the people in Natomas are going to be the ones paying for it. They are putting on Prop 1A for a tax to fix the levees which would be about 67.00 to 69.00 a year.

This would bring them back up to "100 yr" flood by 2010 and "200 yr" in 2014 or so. I just got notification from our HOA on what is happening. I am not a litigious sort, but if you ask me, this has class action suit liability all over it.

There are no private flood insurance it is all through FEMA. I called my Liberty Mutual agent last year when they started first talking about this and thought I should not go without because of the election and so on. They had me fill out the paperwork for FEMA flood insurance at 350.00 a year.

Im sorry for my post to come off snotty, but honestly, it really torques me that we are sitting having to pay for someone else's mistakes or greed.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:44 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,186,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerLV View Post
I'm not from the area (moving there in April), so sorry in advance for the ignorance. Sounds like a lot of the developments in the flood-prone areas such as Natomas are new or newer. Does anyone know how or even better, why, the city/county approved such huge developments on those tracts of land? Did they make the developers work in flood drainage or something? Or just the usual too many permits, too much growth, rubber stamp everything too quickly? Wondering if there are other areas they approved that shouldn't have been for any other negative reasons?

It's all about money. Making money.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:01 AM

58 posts, read 244,313 times
After we put the contract on our house at the end of last year, we called the local Allstate office and they said thank goodness we called when we did because they will not be writing new policies in the state of CA for "a certain period" in 2007, even for long-term, good standing clients. Being a native of Virginia and having family & friends up and down the east coast, it was shocking to me that insurers would refuse to offer homeowner's insurance, but I hear it's becoming more and more common in a lot of places. Since we called the agent in 2006, we were able to get a new policy with no problems. I'm not sure if or when the other insurance agencies will follow suit (or may already be doing this).

As an outsider, we've all heard about the goings-on of the CA state government and the numerous propositions for every last thing, so it will be interesting, to say the least, to live there and see it in action.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:31 AM

I had a friend that was with an insurance company for 20 years and made a claim and was cancelled because she made a claim. It was unrelated to the discussion at hand and was some time back, but it does happen.

I don't want to scare you, I really think you will love the area. I am actually jealous because we just sold and the new retail here just has a wonderful feel in the area. There is a new little area that they built to look like a little gas light district which is just so cool. Every thing is so new here, I think that you will be really pleased with the area.

I just think like with everything and everywhere, there is just a new set of circumstances that come up.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:54 AM

Oh you won't scare me, I've lived in the deep south. ;-) Kidding aside, sounds like the area has a ton going for it, and I've read strings where Californians complain and want to leave asap, but I have to tell you, being a former Army brat and moving everywhere, you guys have it great in that state. Trust me.

I know some people are opposed to all the new development, but I think it's healthy for any area and helps to clean it up and brings in better services, etc. (although a better road plan would be nice!) We ended up in Rocklin, no flood risks there I suppose, and can't wait till April. Looks like that huge downtown railyard redevelopment is going to finally happen as well, don't know much about it but it sounds really good for the city.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:26 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,186,812 times
SpencerLV, you shouldn't have any problems in Rocklin with flooding. An article I was reading last night from SacBee.com said Natomas will likely be under 20 feet of water should a levee go. Pocket under 15 feet.

As a former insurance agent I can tell you the insurance business in CA is getting to be sticky business. The company I used to work for was sending out warning letters I guess you could call them stating if you file a homeowners claim your policy might be "non-renewed". Too many people are using their insurance policies with low deductibles as a maintenance plan for their houses, filing claims for the smallest things that should be taken care of by the homeowner. Homeowners insurance is intended to be used for major issues, not the neighbor hitting a golf ball through the window.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:54 PM

We saw that in Northern VA, too. Neighborhoods were getting canvased by siding companies telling people that there were "recent hail storms" in the area (there were not) that may have damaged siding, and you could replace it with an insurance claim. Tons of people went for it, saved them an average of $10k per house, and then they were shocked to find out they became high risk for insurance.

Of course there were hail storms in the area over the years, and yes I'm sure siding was damaged or dinged at some point, but these companies had people filing claims en masse, which triggered insurance co.'s suspicions. Guess it's the same everywhere.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:14 PM

Congrats!! You will love it in Rocklin. We loved it when we lived up there. We venture up there to shop, or used to before our truxel area started taking shape. It is a beautiful area.

I would check out the SACOG website. I know that they just had a town hall meeting regarding the transportation issues, so it is really good that they are working on it finally!!

The good thing is that generally in Placer County (other than the flippen Auburn Dam) once things get put into motion, it happens pretty quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento