U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:07 AM

46 posts, read 175,237 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I never paid attention about schools since I am single.
I have just become familiar with the locations of all the schools in natomas after signing up for subbing. I'd like to know about twin River and San Juan since I am applying for a position in those districts. I know that San Juan has 5 areas though I do not know all the areas well: Foothills, North Highlands, Fair Oaks, Arden-Arcade, and I forgot the 5th one. For Twin River, I know nothing about it. Can someone helps me know the areas/zones better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 08:11 AM

3,178 posts, read 13,417,319 times
Zones better as in what?

Have you looked on the school district websites for the boundaries of schools in the areas?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 PM

38 posts, read 197,041 times
I think Twin Rivers School District services much of North Sac. Like Foothill, Rio Linda, Del Paso Heights, North Highlands, and other parts in North Sacramento. The district used to be called Grant but they just changed it. I am pretty sure

Old 08-20-2008, 01:24 PM

238 posts, read 1,201,543 times
Twin Rivers is the new district that was formed from 4 different districts that served mostly northern Sacramento county. My wife teaches at one of the elementary schools (as well as another forum member here, coincidentally).

Old 09-06-2008, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,254 times
Twin Rivers is a mess - take it from a parent of two children who are enrolled in the district. Parents, kids, classified employees, teachers - we are all extremely disgruntled with the administration and board of trustees. Do a quick search on sacbee.com - check out the comments from readers about the district. Personally, I am a parent organizing others for change against the dictatorship that is the administration.
Be very cautious of anyone who tells you that all of the changes in the district are going well. It sounds crazy, but I assure you that the administration is actually covering up how large this problem is.
Olivia Henley, parent

Old 09-10-2008, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,197 times
Default twin rivers school district is messed up!!!

Since this twin rivers came into play there has been nothing but problems. First and my main problem is that every wednesday school doesn't start until 10:30 instead of 9 so teachers can have a manditory meeting. Fine, but why can't they have a minimum day on wednesdays and have the meeting after school, the city start would be there to care for our children. Start is NOT there in the mornings. I have heard of twin river reps stating it's been fine in other schools and there are no problems with it, it's not a problem for welfare parents or stay at home parents but what about the working parent, I dont' know of any boss in America that would allow an employee to be an hour and a half late every week. Somebody didn't think this through or more concerning JUST DIDN'T CARE. The first chance I get I will be removing my child and finding a more down to earth district such as woodland,ca.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:38 PM

238 posts, read 1,201,543 times
As aforementioned, my wife is one of the elementary school teachers in the district (new to the district but has been teaching for over 10 years now), and although she doesn't speak for everyone, I think her sentiment is shared by many: the schedule is definitely flawed. Teaching in this district (closer to where we leave) was supposed to be a panacea compared to her old 40-mile commute to the Davis school district, and she genuinely loves her new school and students, but I have never seen her so stressed and tired before. She's routinely still planning and grading papers at 11PM since she does not have the time during the day to do it. I think it's a stretch to assume that anything will get done this school year, but I do hope things get better next year, because SOMEONE royally screwed up and did not seek public input when they devised this schedule.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 PM

261 posts, read 1,217,511 times
I'm the other teacher in the district that Quasi was mentioning, and I can say that the teachers were not a part of the decision to start school late on Wednesdays. Parents, teachers, and students alike are frustrated and stressed about several of the decisions made without any input. But my suggestion is to go complain to the district and contact the board members. Do this over and over again. The reason why schools are reporting that there are not parents that are concerned about these new decisions is because the parents are complaining to the wrong people.

Of course there are many, many families that had to take a huge time and financial blow with this late start. But a good chunk of them just quietly got upset and made things work. It doesn't mean that they like the new schedule by any means. Take it from me, us teachers can't change the decisions that have been made. We need the support of the parents and students. I would love to go back to early out days, but we just need to hear from many more people. My hope is that the board and district officials remember their true reason for combining the districts. This is supposed to be for the benefit of the students. Are the students benefiting with their parents panicking and stressed out? I think not. Are they benefiting from longer academic hours when they cannot use the restroom during the tiny 10 minute break? Are they benefiting when they actually don't have lunch recess after eating and trying to use the restroom? I think not.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm sure I can speak for most teachers when I say that there needs to be a lot of change if we really want to make this district reach it's goal and mission: "to inspire each student to extraordinary achievement every day." This won't happen if the district and board continue to make decisions that make life worse for the kids.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,422 times
It sounds like there are many of us who are very unhappy with Twin Rivers. I have gone to many of the board meetings and they are ridiculous. They are paying consultants and lawyers millions to make all of the decisions and choices that the Board should be making. They don't appear to know how to manage their money at all and I would love to get togehter with others in our community and start our own oversight commitee. Get many of the Board members voted out and start fresh. They have completely lost track of what is important, which is the children's education.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:39 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,339,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyclover View Post
It sounds like there are many of us who are very unhappy with Twin Rivers. I have gone to many of the board meetings and they are ridiculous. They are paying consultants and lawyers millions to make all of the decisions and choices that the Board should be making. They don't appear to know how to manage their money at all and I would love to get togehter with others in our community and start our own oversight commitee. Get many of the Board members voted out and start fresh. They have completely lost track of what is important, which is the children's education.
Just curious...Are things any better there now, two years down the road?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or