Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 11:19 PM

232 posts, read 845,905 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I got a call today about a job possibility in Roseville, CA.

I am currently in So. California so I understand how much we have "mini-economies" around here. The wages and needs of someone in San Diego are very different from someone in say Apple Valley.

Here lies my problem. I was making a high five figure base before but with the economy change........well, you know.

I have been out of work for about 6 months now and I have been looking hard. I am really nervous about leaving So. California where at least I have a few friends to help me out and taking a job somewhere I have never been. This job is less then half what I earned before.

Am I being realistic? Can I make in on $36000 in this area? I know my lifestyle would be different, but at least it would be work.

Somebody offer an opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 06:17 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
$36,000 in Roseville is low enough to put you in the "low-income housing" category.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:11 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Do you have children?

If you are single and are only going to be renting you'll be fine - but Roseville is a suburb - let's say like Chino Hills or maybe Redlands

I was a single mom making 45K, and I found life do-able but I rented

Old 08-26-2008, 09:59 AM

44 posts, read 138,600 times
what Citygirl said. If you are single with no children and not a lot of debt then you'll be ok. Not great but you will be able to live.

Low income qualifying for 1 to 2 ppl with no children in yolo country is about 42,000 just to give you an idea of where you'd fit in the wage scale.

Also, is this a career change? Because if you are changing fields then there is the possiblility of advancement down the road. So while the start pay sucks, could you advance yourself up the ladder after the economy recovers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento