Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 PM

91 posts, read 365,216 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to Folsom or Roseville and am curious as to the nature of the residents from each suburb. I've taken my child to a class in Folsom and encountered some snotty women; but Folsom is a nice area, what can you expect?

Roseville, everyone seems to have the latest strollers, clothes, cars, etc. I say this generally speaking as I have really only been shopping in this area, and some of the people could very well be from other parts of the area.

Was out in EDH not too long ago, and there was all sorts of unfriendliness abound!

So, which suburb is going to be more friendly/less pretentious? We want to raise our children in a modest-but nice home, and don't want them to be teased because they don't have the biggest home on the block with a Mercedes in front or gaggle of SUV's parked in the driveway. I'd also like to be involved in the community and don't want to feel like an outsider or try to keep up with the Joneses.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 11:01 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,319 times
None of the above in my opinion. We just moved from Folsom and El Dorado Hills after 8 years of being there. Roseville is getting snobby but not as bad as Folsom and ELDH. If it were me, I would look in the country like Loomis, Auburn, Placerville, Shingle Springs and Rescue. Much nicer and down to earth people but even the dynamic is changing there a bit.

I don't see myself living in this area much longer than a few more years. Where are you moving from?

The moms are the worst in Folsom/ELDH. Boy can I tell you some stories about the mom groups I was in. Now, saying that, I have met some nice down to earth people there but it wasn't many.

The schools are really good and the area is quite safe but there is a compromise. Neighbors pull up their garage doors and put them down before they get out of the car, well... I could go on and on. Bottom Line..I am not a fan of any of those areas.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:07 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,319 times
None of the above in my opinion. We just moved from Folsom and El Dorado Hills after 8 years of being there. Roseville is getting snobby but not as bad as Folsom and ELDH. If it were me, I would look in the country like Loomis, Auburn, Placerville, Shingle Springs and Rescue. Much nicer and down to earth people but even the dynamic is changing there a bit.

I don't see myself living in this area much longer than a few more years. Where are you moving from?

The moms are the worst in Folsom/ELDH. Boy can I tell you some stories about the mom groups I was in. Now, saying that, I have met some nice down to earth people there but it wasn't many.

The schools are really good and the area is quite safe but there is a compromise. Neighbors pull up their garage doors and put them down before they get out of the car, well... I could go on and on. Bottom Line..I am not a fan of any of those areas.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:04 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,054 times
Hopefully our children will grow up by our examples - and if you are not pretentious then they will not be either - as I cross my fingers

I too am looking at Folsom but ONLY because of the schools, otherwise we'd be in East Sac or Land Park (which we are still looking there too anyway)

Old 09-17-2008, 11:47 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,273,146 times
I guess Roseville has changed a lot...growing up around there in the eighties, the closest thing in Roseville one found to "pretentious" was maybe guys overly proud of their jacked-up monster truck...of course, I grew up in Citrus Heights, where the closest thing was guys overly proud of their bondo & primer covered '68 Camaro!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:53 AM

406 posts, read 1,592,127 times
This behavior is more individual dependent than neighborhood dependent. Where you get is most is where there is a wide disparity incomes living in close proximity to each other. The wealthy think the poor are dangerous or uncultured and the poor think the wealthy are snobs. When I use the terms wealthy and poor here, I mean them in relative terms.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:05 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,054 times
I had a bondo'ed 68 Camaro!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:40 PM

67 posts, read 289,597 times
I am from Chico-- home of the most laid back people on earth, I think. Now we live in Folsom. It is different, but I have never noticed any real 'tude. I only found it a little less laid-back about nursing in public. lol! (In Chico we just whip out the girls, no biggy). This makes me laugh, actually. I tend to think sometimes people think too much about how other people act... I have found Folsom to be full of really friendly people. And the schools are great, the crime is low, it is clean.

I think in large part we attract what we put out.

Good luck.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:53 PM

3 posts, read 18,903 times
Maybe you should look elsewhere to raise your family. Coming here with that outlook will just make you miserable as well as you family. Roseville, Folsom, and EDH are wonderful communities.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:42 PM

91 posts, read 365,216 times
I'm already in the area, thanks. No doubt they are wonderful, but my question was specific to the people that reside in these great communities. And by people, I mean in general.

No need for defensiveness, and I am glad to know I am not the only one who has noticed such behavior in these areas.

Thanks for the input, all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento