Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:31 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
We moved from Folsom to Citrus Heights near Old Auburn Road. It isn't that it is bad or anything but I just don't like the feel of it and am already having thoughts of moving. I love our home but not the area. I really don't want to move back to Folsom. I am just upset and don't know what to do. Isn't there taxes if you sell if it is under 2 years?
My wife and I have lived in Citrus Heights for 20 years (off of Van Maren Lane). We feel safe here, especially now that Citrus Heights has its own police force. Everything is very convenient. All the goods and services you could ever want are within a short driving distance. What more could you want? I would give it some time. You might begin to like the area more as time goes by. Good luck and best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 07:41 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,334 times
I have turned my attention to Citrus Heights. My agent tells me to drive by the place on evenings and weekends. You get a chance to see what kind of neighbors you will have. What a difference it makes when most people are off work.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:22 AM

599 posts, read 1,653,114 times
We did the same thing and the place is so very quiet. I guess I am not a suburban type of person. I think that is the main reason after doing some soul searching as to why I don't like it. I either would like to be out in the country or in a city.

It stinks though for us making this decision b/c the decision was based on schools. It is terrible that you have to decide where to live just based around schools. Just my opinion.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:34 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post

It stinks though for us making this decision b/c the decision was based on schools. It is terrible that you have to decide where to live just based around schools. Just my opinion.
That's our probelm

If we didn't have kids - we'd live in Midtown - hands down

BUt the schools suck so we actually consider Folsom/Fair Oaks, we would never consider it if we didn't have kids

Old 10-14-2008, 01:53 PM

406 posts, read 1,592,830 times
If you prefer midtown to Folsom/Fair Oaks, why not move there? As I recall money wasn't that much of an issue for you. There are some good schools in Sac City District.

Elementary Schools

2008 Growth API School Report - Crocker/Riverside Elementary

2008 Growth API School Report - Phoebe A. Hearst Elementary

Middle Schools

2008 Growth API School Report - Sutter Middle

High Schools

2008 Growth API School Report - West Campus

I think the reason to go out to Fair Oaks, Gold River or Folsom is value for money. For a given amount of money you can get a bigger home with better schools out there. But if money isn't much of an object, there a few areas in the Sac City School District where the schools are pretty good.

Overall test scores, Sacramento County

County List of Schools

Old 10-14-2008, 03:50 PM

Crocker has a wait list even if you live in the area
And Phoebe Hurst is not a "neighborhood" school - you must TEST to get in - then you are wait listed.

And yes I've looked at both those - and yes, I have a realtor for those areas - because we'd actually adore living in those areas

But we also need MORE SPACE. Desperately and our money can buy us more bang for our buck in Folsom

Right now we are a family of four (with ONE bathroom) in 1300 sqft. Have you seen how much CRAP comes with each kid? I look forward to moving just to get rid of the majority of the junk their grandparents buy them.

ANYWAY

We want 2000 sqft minimum and 2200+ preferred. Plus 4 bedrooms since we have ALOT of guests.

Kinda hard to find in Midtown/East Sac/Land Park for 400K or UNDER

PS - If it was just me I'd go right back to living in a studio, but unfortunately with marriage and kids, I can't even find a spot to breathe and call my own.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:54 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
(broken record alert)
1300 sf historic bungalow=2000 sf modern suburban tract home (more efficient use of space)

Old 10-14-2008, 04:02 PM

599 posts, read 1,653,114 times
Sometimes I feel you should live where you want and happiness follows instead to fit yourself in somewhere you don't want to be. I know alot of people who have done this and it works. I am just very depressed at the moment trying to figure what to do.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:05 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Yes it would be nice to love where you live. Take this as one of life's lessons. It's just a small part of your life before you move on to where you want to be.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:10 PM

I worry about moving back to Sac - what if I don't love it like I used to? What if I'm romanticizing it?

Well, then I guess we'd move again, but if I never went BACK to Sac then I'd always pine for it - I know that.

But I'm still worried - like I should TRY harder to like Seattle - but it gets really hard after 9 months of weather below 50 degrees and in the dark.

Did you know that Sacramento is in the TOP TEN of the sunniest cities in the USA?
Did you know that Seattle is in the BOTTOM TEN??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento