Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:09 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDoc313 View Post
"Note I am a Wash DC native and; aside from the Smithsonian, Library of Congress, etc. DC was a rather provincial city---------nothing more than a government town."

That's pretty much what Sacramento is. It does, as others have mentioned, have a nice proximity to a number of places around it, within 2 or so hours (Napa, San Fran, Oakland, Fresno, Tahoe, etc...) but Sacramento itself doesn't have a ton of big city amenities, despite the fact that it could be considered a big city (considering its population size). It depends on what you want. Sac does have a cool Midtown/Downtown with nice restaurants, a number of different types of bars/clubs, some interesting historical museums (which are cool to see about once) but there certainly is nothing like a San Antonio River Walk.

Sacramento offers a few things that have made it appealing. One is the whole proximity thing which makes it nice for people who can't afford to live in one of those others places - at least they're somewhat close. Also, it will be relatively cheaper midland than in the mountains or on the coast, or father south. Crime is average, and if you can afford to live in the right area you'll probably never suffer a serious crime. The population is pretty diverse and the town is more liberal leaning. In the right area, if you're not looking for a spectacular downtown, it can be a great place to raise a family.

It really probably just depends on what you're looking for. I felt that most high school seniors in the area (whether or not they actually did) talked/dreamed of going to college outside of the city because Sac doesn't offer a whole lot for the party goer type. But if you're looking for a place to raise a family that experiences fairly moderate weather, is relatively inexpensive, is sort of close to the things around it, and has average enough crime it's a great city.
The lack of attractions for 'party animals' is a huge plus for me........I outgrew that nonsense by my mid 20's.

Give me an indie coffeehouse with live folk/blues/jazz music, Target, Costco, Albertsons or a similar grocery store and I am good to go. Wal-Mart is of no importance to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 05:19 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,822 times
Many Sacramentans love Sacramento, but as you can see, one thing that you'll have to put up with is the invalidation from the coastal cities. I've lived in the Bay Area, grew up in Sac, and curently live in San Diego (not sure what part of socal you lived in). It's quieter, calmer, has a more varied climate, and is more "midwestern" feeling than other large CA cities... probably adding to the dislike from them. It's not the most metropolitan city in the world either, something that some big city folk can't seem to get their heads around... desiring to live in a non-metropolitan city. It's a comfortable town. Growing up there, I was one of the types that went away to college, and I'm glad for it, but I would have felt that way about any town I grew up in. If my job took me back, I wouldn't have any complaints other than the fact that moving is a pain.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
Many Sacramentans love Sacramento, but as you can see, one thing that you'll have to put up with is the invalidation from the coastal cities. I've lived in the Bay Area, grew up in Sac, and curently live in San Diego (not sure what part of socal you lived in). It's quieter, calmer, has a more varied climate, and is more "midwestern" feeling than other large CA cities... probably adding to the dislike from them. It's not the most metropolitan city in the world either, something that some big city folk can't seem to get their heads around... desiring to live in a non-metropolitan city. It's a comfortable town. Growing up there, I was one of the types that went away to college, and I'm glad for it, but I would have felt that way about any town I grew up in. If my job took me back, I wouldn't have any complaints other than the fact that moving is a pain.
Interesting.

The weather ain't SoCal class------------but; it is a hell of a lot better than Wash DC's climate as well as being much cheaper. Yes; Sac's winters feel 'cold' compared to Phoenix............but, the greater rainfall totals and 'live' rivers along with 10 degree cooler summers would not hurt my feelings

Again: every time I drove by Sacto on I-5 back in 1990; the vibe felt comfortable to me. Now for really weird: Stockton gave me a very bad feeling-----------again, I am discussing 1990.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:15 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Interesting.

The weather ain't SoCal class------------but; it is a hell of a lot better than Wash DC's climate as well as being much cheaper. Yes; Sac's winters feel 'cold' compared to Phoenix............but, the greater rainfall totals and 'live' rivers along with 10 degree cooler summers would not hurt my feelings

Again: every time I drove by Sacto on I-5 back in 1990; the vibe felt comfortable to me. Now for really weird: Stockton gave me a very bad feeling-----------again, I am discussing 1990.

I personally enjoy the seasons, and if you do too, you'll probably like the change in Sacramento, with the benefit of being more moderate than the severity of the winters in DC, and summers will of course be a breeze after AZ. I'll be flying back into Sacto in a few weeks to visit family... I always make a trip in the fall because after all these years in San Diego, I tend to forget what fall looks like!

Def. agree with you on Stockton... it's not my favorite place at all, although Al Spanos, the SD Chargers owner, who hailed from Stockton, tries his best to put money into the town and there's all sorts of new stuff on the North side of town. I drive from SD to Sacramento 1-2 times a year (typically to visit the fam for Christmas - cheaper than flying with the presents), and Stockton always aggravates me. Then again, after that long in the car, I'm probably aggravated pretty easily!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 AM

38 posts, read 148,081 times
"The weather ain't SoCal class------------"

Well, it depends on what you prefer. Not everyone (believe it or not) want to live somewhere where it's summer year round - me included. I love that Sacramento experiences some sort of winter, spring, and fall (even though I don't think you'd call what Sac gets "true" seasons, compared to say the Midwest or Atlantic South).

"Now for really weird: Stockton gave me a very bad feeling-----------again, I am discussing 1990."

Stockton gives most people a bad feeling.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDoc313 View Post
"The weather ain't SoCal class------------"

Well, it depends on what you prefer. Not everyone (believe it or not) want to live somewhere where it's summer year round - me included. I love that Sacramento experiences some sort of winter, spring, and fall (even though I don't think you'd call what Sac gets "true" seasons, compared to say the Midwest or Atlantic South).

"Now for really weird: Stockton gave me a very bad feeling-----------again, I am discussing 1990."

Stockton gives most people a bad feeling.
I am a Wash DC native and by far the #1 reason I left was due to its weather---------especially its skanky winters. Hell; Seattle's are milder (at least its night time lows in January).

Personally I prefer no 'seasons' but, that is just me

Question: does anybody here know why Stockton is so bad? What really hit me while driving N on I-5 from Stockton to Sac was that 'no mans' land' of about 30 miles (no motels, restuarants, etc)--------almost like the Twilight Zone. Yet; once I saw Sacramento, I felt I was back in civilization and that good feeling continued on northward up to and past Dunnigan. Heck; I even liked Arbuckle.

Side note: I have never even stopped in Stockton (nor in Sac)--------yet, the vibes between the two places are like night and day. Another area that hit me weird is SoCal's 'Hi-Desert': I really like Yucca Valley yet detest Victorville, Go figure.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:46 AM

406 posts, read 1,592,830 times
This is a list of unemployment rates by county and political subdivision (city) with each county. In general, what you will notice is that unemployment rates are higher the more dependent a region is on agriculture. You will find places in the Central Valley and the Imperial Valley to have some of the highest unemployment rates in the State.

http://www.calmis.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/allsubs.xls

Why is this? First, work tends to be seasonal with people needed to bring in the various crops. Second, agricultural work, has very low educational needs. It tends to be performed by illegal immigrants who are illiterate not just in English, but often in their native languages as well. In these farm towns, the educated tend to leave for better employment chances when they have a chance. Historically Stockton, like Yuba City, Modesto and Lodi was a farm town. Sacramento's economy was more diversified. While agriculture was a factor in the Sacramento economy, state government was a much bigger driver that attracted a much better work force to the Sacramento region.

What has been driving population growth in both Stockton and Sacramento has been employers and employees priced out of high priced housing markets in the Bay Area. But the two regions have been attracting different types of employers from the Bay Area. In Stockton, the lower quality workforce has been attracting the lower paid, lower value employers. As distribution, warehousing and trucking got priced out of the East Bay, a lot of that moved to Stockton.

In Sacramento, the workforce started out better and that allowed it to attract higher value employers. When the Loma Prieta earthquake struck back in 89 and Bay Area employers wanted a safe place to back up data, that wasn't in an active fault line, many moved some operations to Sacramento, but you didn't see a lot of movement by these employers to Stockton. Because many of these employers were already recruiting at UC Davis and Sac State instead of recruiting them to the Bay Area and having to pay them higher salaries to make up for higher housing costs in the Bay Area, several were persuaded to just move work out to the Sacramento region. That local communties like Roseville, Folsom and Elk Grove were willing to offer inducments to make them move made it much easier. This is how HP, Intel, Apple, and JVC came to the region.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen_klown View Post
This is a list of unemployment rates by county and political subdivision (city) with each county. In general, what you will notice is that unemployment rates are higher the more dependent a region is on agriculture. You will find places in the Central Valley and the Imperial Valley to have some of the highest unemployment rates in the State.

http://www.calmis.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/allsubs.xls

Why is this? First, work tends to be seasonal with people needed to bring in the various crops. Second, agricultural work, has very low educational needs. It tends to be performed by illegal immigrants who are illiterate not just in English, but often in their native languages as well. In these farm towns, the educated tend to leave for better employment chances when they have a chance. Historically Stockton, like Yuba City, Modesto and Lodi was a farm town. Sacramento's economy was more diversified. While agriculture was a factor in the Sacramento economy, state government was a much bigger driver that attracted a much better work force to the Sacramento region.

What has been driving population growth in both Stockton and Sacramento has been employers and employees priced out of high priced housing markets in the Bay Area. But the two regions have been attracting different types of employers from the Bay Area. In Stockton, the lower quality workforce has been attracting the lower paid, lower value employers. As distribution, warehousing and trucking got priced out of the East Bay, a lot of that moved to Stockton.

In Sacramento, the workforce started out better and that allowed it to attract higher value employers. When the Loma Prieta earthquake struck back in 89 and Bay Area employers wanted a safe place to back up data, that wasn't in an active fault line, many moved some operations to Sacramento, but you didn't see a lot of movement by these employers to Stockton. Because many of these employers were already recruiting at UC Davis and Sac State instead of recruiting them to the Bay Area and having to pay them higher salaries to make up for higher housing costs in the Bay Area, several were persuaded to just move work out to the Sacramento region. That local communties like Roseville, Folsom and Elk Grove were willing to offer inducments to make them move made it much easier. This is how HP, Intel, Apple, and JVC came to the region.
I swear that Sac is looking better and better to me all the time

Between the much lower earthquake danger and the more 'educated' workforce on top of housing costs no greater than Phx...............all things to ponder here.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:59 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Although getting the state capital relocated here is a major reason why Sacramento is quite a bit bigger than Stockton, state government as a major factor in Sacramento's employment picture is mostly a post-WWII phenomenon. Prior to that, we had a the railroads and the canneries. Railroads require some brute-force labor, but also a lot of highly technical skills, from mechanical engineering to bookkeeping, and we had two separate major railroad shop/yard operations in town. We were also a regional financial center, if not a national one, with a lot of call for office workers downtown. In the postwar era, the skilled labor in Sacramento moved to the military bases outside of town and the rapidly expanding administrative needs of the state government.

Stockton missed out on the railroads early on (they didn't provide Central Pacific with enough baksheesh to locate their division-point to the Bay Area, so CP established the town of Lathrop just north of Stockton instead) and wasn't a political headquarters so they just relied on agricultural processing and shipping, at least until more railroads arrived and established Mormon Yard and spurs to serve the Port of Stockton. But even then, Stockton was a division point, not a major labor center for the highly technical trades of railroading.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Although getting the state capital relocated here is a major reason why Sacramento is quite a bit bigger than Stockton, state government as a major factor in Sacramento's employment picture is mostly a post-WWII phenomenon. Prior to that, we had a the railroads and the canneries. Railroads require some brute-force labor, but also a lot of highly technical skills, from mechanical engineering to bookkeeping, and we had two separate major railroad shop/yard operations in town. We were also a regional financial center, if not a national one, with a lot of call for office workers downtown. In the postwar era, the skilled labor in Sacramento moved to the military bases outside of town and the rapidly expanding administrative needs of the state government.

Stockton missed out on the railroads early on (they didn't provide Central Pacific with enough baksheesh to locate their division-point to the Bay Area, so CP established the town of Lathrop just north of Stockton instead) and wasn't a political headquarters so they just relied on agricultural processing and shipping, at least until more railroads arrived and established Mormon Yard and spurs to serve the Port of Stockton. But even then, Stockton was a division point, not a major labor center for the highly technical trades of railroading.
Keep talking...........me likey more and more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento