Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:37 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,571,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Sacramento is extremely boring.
Do you like good looking women? They ate everywhere here - everywhere. Easier to talk to than anywhere else I've lived. There, I just named something not so boring to do - meet some cool, great looking single women. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 12:41 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Yeah, the stereotype of Midtown only being for "twentysomethings" is completely silly--it's not just a place without a racial majority, there is also no age majority. I know Midtowners in their sixties who still go out to clubs and play open mic nights, in their seventies who still bike everywhere and are regulars on the art scene. Some of Midtown's most legendary and most respected artist/hipster fixtures were senior citizens--Victor Wong, Bobby Burns, Jose Montoya. They were all still young at heart--maybe that's why people in their fifties get mistaken for people in their twenties.

Also, I'm noticing a change in the "downtown" neighborhoods like Alkali/Manison Flat and Southside Park, with more galleries and hipster-oriented businesses opening up in those neighborhoods vs. Midtown's higher rents and lower vacancy rates, just in the past couple of years. Places like Shine, Insight, Doughbot and Shady Lady are changing the business environment, and when I biked up C Street between 12th-16th I counted 6-8 different signs for art studios and gallery spaces in old industrial buildings (including several in a warehouse that was the Vortex/Vortograph nightclub back in the 1980s.)

Old 02-02-2014, 01:49 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofMA View Post
Its funny because I feel this way about the diversity in Massachusetts...there certainly is diversity once you get beyond the "whiteness" they claim Boston has and theres way too many minority ethnicity groups to name here but they are all segregated from eachother practically. Sacramento seems less segregated than the Boston area for sure but that's more in the city.. seems in Sac region that the segregation hits towns like Roseville, Vacaville, Auburn and Davis perhaps. Sacramento downtown itself, no didn't seem as segregated. Segregated areas breed violence when you cross paths with someone of another race.. but however you don't want so much integration that all the kids come out mixed either. So long as theres boundaries its fine to speak with someone of another race.. kinda like the southern model of doing things.
I see it differently. The mere presence of an occasional mixed couple or variety of enthnicities on the street means nothing to me if there is no apparent 'intercultualism' to be seen in town besides only in the workplace or wherever else you cant avoid other people. Many events and establishements here may as well say "whites only". And that is not saying that others are being deliberately excluded. People of color tend also to gravitatate towards their likeness. I am just hoping to find out why that exists.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Yeah, the stereotype of Midtown only being for "twentysomethings" is completely silly--it's not just a place without a racial majority, there is also no age majority. I know Midtowners in their sixties who still go out to clubs and play open mic nights, in their seventies who still bike everywhere and are regulars on the art scene. Some of Midtown's most legendary and most respected artist/hipster fixtures were senior citizens--Victor Wong, Bobby Burns, Jose Montoya. They were all still young at heart--maybe that's why people in their fifties get mistaken for people in their twenties.

Also, I'm noticing a change in the "downtown" neighborhoods like Alkali/Manison Flat and Southside Park, with more galleries and hipster-oriented businesses opening up in those neighborhoods vs. Midtown's higher rents and lower vacancy rates, just in the past couple of years. Places like Shine, Insight, Doughbot and Shady Lady are changing the business environment, and when I biked up C Street between 12th-16th I counted 6-8 different signs for art studios and gallery spaces in old industrial buildings (including several in a warehouse that was the Vortex/Vortograph nightclub back in the 1980s.)
And the thing I dig is that people do generally seem included in this town. I mean, I'm a white male, so I guess there's a certain perspective lacking, but I never get the vibe at any of places you've listed that I'm not a big enough hipster, that I'm not dressed well, that I'm too well dressed, that I'm too young, too old. Hell, I'm taken my 68-year old mother to Shady Lady while we were waiting for a table at Magpie, and they couldn't have been nicer, even though the whole craft cocktail thing (and cocktails that aren't made from margarita mix) seemed like a pretty new concept to her.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:56 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
I moved here in 2007 and I think its a good combination of about everything most people would want. I'm from Des Moines, went to school in Iowa City, and over the last 20 years I've lived very short-term in Sioux Falls, SD, the Twin Cities in MN, and at least six months in Dayton, OH, Indianapolis, IN, metro DC (Fairfax and then Fredericksburg) and Richmond, and Jackson, MS until now.

I think Sac has far more stuff to offer than nearly all of those places except the Twin Cities and DC in terms of 'stuff to do' but its climate and proximity to the ocean - even if its too cold to swim in, there are tons of free beaches free of rich people's condos - as well as the Sierras, Yosemite, hot springs everywhere, one of the most bike friendly large cities aside from Portland (Davis and Boulder are college towns and really don't count, in my view, as what 'bike friendly' means in a large city context). We have mild winters, and yeah, it gets hot in the summer, and AQ can suck, but we don't have as many bad air days as most of this country has crappy winter, fall and early spring days. Between April and October, it doesn't RAIN - and we have clear or mostly clear skies that entire time.

Many here have already mentioned Midtown and the suburbs, but you've got the urban lifestyle for people that want it -at reasonable prices - and the 'burbs for people that want that.

Yeah, we have gangs and crime, but that crap is everywhere and Sac is like any other city - there are parts of it you need to stay out of, but unlike Oakland, you don't have to leave the ENTIRE city after dark!
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by leaving the entire city after dark?

Old 07-24-2014, 10:11 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I encourage you to move on to Portland then, it's very very white up thataway. Not everyone is comfortable with our level of diversity, and if you just "keep to your own community" you miss out on a lot of the fun stuff that the other communities are doing.
+2000 Agree wholeheartedly!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento