Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:36 PM

406 posts, read 1,592,735 times

Advertisements

I was a big fan of Verailles Cuban restaurant in Culver City. I especially loved the Ironbeer, which is a Cuban softdrink now made in Miami.

That got me to wondering if there are any Cuban restaurants anywhere in this region. I was a big fan of the lemon garlic chicken with fried plantains. But I was also wondering about the availiability in this region of Ironbeer.

Yesterday, I checked Bev Mo and La Superior - neither of them had Ironbeer. Today I was going to probably drop by Corti Bros and maybe Whole Earth Foods. Any other ideas? Has anyone seen it for sale locally anywhere?

Versailles Cuban Restaurant (http://www.versaillescuban.com/index.html - broken link)
Ironbeer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 01:15 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
You sound like me - always wondering about food in Sac.

I would love to find Cuban (there's a great place up here, I know that's no help)

But I want amazing GREEK food in Sac - now where's that??!

PS Where in Culver City? - I used to live up Sepulveda Blvd (toward LAX) in Westchester and actually when I'm in So Cal - I'm usually around the area....I remember going to the Shakey's there after softball games

Old 11-13-2008, 03:24 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
The only Greek place that comes to mind is Opa! Opa! on J Street, although I think there are others. Sacramento has a large Greek population and an annual Greek food fair, as I'm sure you are aware, and in a way I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more Greek restaurants around here. I am unaware of any Cuban restaurants in town.

If you ever use Yelp (San Francisco Restaurants, Dentists, Bars, Beauty Salons, Doctors) they have a very active Sacramento group who tend to post at great length about any Sacramento restaurants--invaluable for restaurant advice and suggestions.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:32 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
Yeah I've been to the Greek Festival at the Sac Convention Center before (that's where it was last time I went)

Old 11-13-2008, 07:15 PM

406 posts, read 1,592,735 times
Versailles is on Venice Blvd not to far from Overland. It has kind of an anti ambiance in the way that Zelda's has a kind of an anti-ambiance. The place probably has never been remodeled since sometime in the late 70's /early 80's. Yet like Zelda's there is just about always a line. Unlike Zelda's the service is incredibly fast.

Versailles Cuban Restaurant (http://www.versaillescuban.com/locations.html - broken link)

As far as Greek Restaurants, I have been to the Greek Village Inn. It was good but pricey. It in Campus Commons in that strip mall between Fair Oaks Blvd , University, and Howe Ave.

I also like the Kabob House its on Fulton Avenue.

Kabob House

If you like Greek food, you might also like some of the Persian places off Fulton Avenue. I am a big fan of Famous Kabob, its at Fulton and Hurley. Looks ugly from outside, but much nicer inside and the food is amazing. There is actually several middle eastern restaurants on Fulton Ave worth checking out.

I also thought Casablanca Moroccan Restaurant at Fair Oaks and Watt was also a lot of fun. Its next to the Shell gas station in a very tiny mini mall. Again it looks like a dump from outside, but its very cool inside. They try to make it seem like you are eating in some sort of tent. On Fridays and Saturday nights they tend to have belly dancers.

In terms of ingredients, their seems to be a pretty big cross over between Greek and Persian Cuisine and to a lesser extent to Morraccan cuisine.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:55 PM

6 posts, read 19,054 times
Greek food!!! I love it!

Old 05-28-2009, 04:02 PM

9 posts, read 19,177 times
I'm presently living in San Jose and am seriously considering relocating to Sacramento for several reasons. I find myself conducting a lot more business there lately, esp. because of my ties in the wine industry (Lodi / Sacramento Valley / Amador County.)

I grew up in Miami, have gone to Versailles in Los Angeles and my personal favorite soda is Materva. So I was looking on this thread for Cuban food in Sacramento.

Here in San Jose we do have one place that the staff is extremely friendly, and the cook is a man in his 70's who takes extreme pride in his food and his guests. It's Habana Cuba Resturant located at 238 Race Street. Their phone number is actually (408) 998-CUBA.

A man born here whose parents are Cuban go frequently from San Ramon to San Jose. You can drive from Sacramento to San Jose in about 2 hours. Visit http://www.998cuba.com/

Old 05-28-2009, 04:57 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
Celestin's on 18th and K is more generally Carribbean than specifically Cuban, but that's about as close as restaurants in Sacramento come. There has never been much of a local Cuban population, and not much demand, so even after perusing the local Yelp! there isn't much help.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:18 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor Elfman View Post
Here in San Jose we do have one place that the staff is extremely friendly, and the cook is a man in his 70's who takes extreme pride in his food and his guests. It's Habana Cuba Resturant located at 238 Race Street. Their phone number is actually (408) 998-CUBA.
I've been to that place - great food! Would love to hear if there are any comparable places in the Sac region.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:49 PM

433 posts, read 1,619,184 times
I would try out Celestin's, it's Cajun and Carribean food but definitley has Cuban influences. They do have pressed Cuban sandwiches which are pretty tasty. Mojitos are good too.

Celestin's Restaurant - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento