U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2009, 08:28 PM

1,020 posts, read 542,813 times
Look at the things Greece leads the world in:

Cigarette consumption, economic aid recieved and the ratio of unemployed females to males (which is basically how much the society discriminates against women).

Then look at the things that Greece is at the bottom of the rankings in, per capita personal computers, gini index (economic inequality) and net migration (the number of people fleaing the country).

NationMaster - Statistics on Greece. facts and figures, stats and information on Greek economy, crime, people, government, health and education. 35 maps and 158 flags

Don't give us this crap that Greece has some great culture. Its screwed up third world country that barely gets buy but for the generosity of EU aid (mostly from Germany). The country is dirt poor, incredibly corrupt, filled with people who discriminate agaist women and rig the system to benefit a small wealthy caste. It does a lousy job of educating limiting upward mobility for those who don't have inherited wealth.

Average years of schooling of adults (most recent) by country

There are some ruins from a time when Greece had a functioning society. But today its a lot like Hellalover. It spends money it doesn't have in a culture where no one is held accountable for malfeasance. No wonder you are up to your ass in debt. Its part of the screwed up cultural legacy you brought over from the third world failed society of Greece.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:16 AM

277 posts, read 365,825 times
I will just say that where I lived in Greece people were well educated and just about everybody spoke english, my neighbor spoke 9 languages. Btw the guys name is not Hellalover it is HellasLover, Hellas=Greece. I disagree that all houses in america are ugly, I bet we have more nice looking houses here then Greece does also, of course we have about 30 times the population.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:16 PM

190 posts, read 396,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaslover View Post
And another thing that bugs me the most, why do they put the garage door in the front? Shouldn't there be the entrance or a large window in the front of the house? Why do they build the houses with entrance on the side and a huge garage door (sometimes 2) in the front?
Ughhh... This is my personal Pet Peave

I live in New England, where the garage as the front door is only a new phenomenon. Thankfully only the newer subdivisions are building like this. In a lot of the older homes, there is either not a garage, or it is detached, or on the side of the house.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:52 PM

63 posts, read 71,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
I have a perfect solution. For all of the people that are unhappy in this country please pack your stuff and don't let the door hit you all in the arse on the way out!!! Then I suggest we implement the following:
1) Build a 100 foot fence around the ENTIRE country.
2) NO MORE immigration of any kind unless you have a talent this country needs...for example, Doctors, Physicists, Engineers, Linguists, etc.......No racism here...No Australians, No Irish, No English, No Guyanese, No Salvadoreans, No Bolivians, No South Africans, No Sudanese, No Libyans, No Egyptians, No Palestinians, No, No, No....No anyone unless WE need you.
3) We IMMEDIATELY stop being the world's policeman. We can begin that process by pulling out of Afghanistan, Iraq, and anywhere else we are.
4) We arrange for a flight to immediately leave the country with the United Nations. Bye, bye to them and good luck in solving the world's problems with the corruption laden body they presently have running things over there.
Please recontact the United States government in about ten years to let us know how it is going. Obviously the world would be a better place without this great Republic (sarcasm). Any attempted force against this country would also result in the full might of the United States Armed Forces should anyone attempt to attack us. Isolationism is sounding better by the second. While we're at it we need to make a lot of changes here at home also, but the above would be a fine beginning to bringing this country back to greatness. Producing for ourselves, drilling for ourselves, taking care of ourselves instead of owing our lungs to China.......Sorry for my rant but I'm tired of people taking pot shots at this country. We are FAR from perfect but if it is so terrible here why is everyone trying to get here?????????????????????
Do you notice that the "We" you talk about are descendnats of Irish, English, German, Italian, Mexicans, Africans, ..need I say more? So, you see, when you start fencing your border, you are no longer "America" and would become one of the many nationlistic countries of Europe, Africa, and Asia. You would no longer be unique and given the fact that you don't really have anything else to take pride in culture-wise (like India or China with its ancient civilization), you will have nothing left to take pride in.

My point: If you get mad, show your anger in a more intelligent way.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:58 PM

63 posts, read 71,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x15 View Post

Cigarette consumption, economic aid recieved and the ratio of unemployed females to males (which is basically how much the society discriminates against women).

Then look at the things that Greece is at the bottom of the rankings in, per capita personal computers, gini index (economic inequality) and net migration (the number of people fleaing the country).

NationMaster - Statistics on Greece. facts and figures, stats and information on Greek economy, crime, people, government, health and education. 35 maps and 158 flags

Don't give us this crap that Greece has some great culture. Its screwed up third world country that barely gets buy but for the generosity of EU aid (mostly from Germany). The country is dirt poor, incredibly corrupt, filled with people who discriminate agaist women and rig the system to benefit a small wealthy caste. It does a lousy job of educating limiting upward mobility for those who don't have inherited wealth.
That what happens with old countries. US will be like that one day, eventually, if not worse.

Quote:

There are some ruins from a time when Greece had a functioning society. But today its a lot like Hellalover. It spends money it doesn't have in a culture where no one is held accountable for malfeasance. No wonder you are up to your ass in debt. Its part of the screwed up cultural legacy you brought over from the third world failed society of Greece.
Americans are so quick on using the term "third world", not realizing that their is heading there too.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 PM

47,395 posts, read 37,409,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda777 View Post
That what happens with old countries. US will be like that one day, eventually, if not worse.

Americans are so quick on using the term "third world", not realizing that their is heading there too.
I have to ask, with your attitude, why are you even living in America? Obviously you think other parts of the world are superior.

Nita

Old 08-18-2009, 02:46 AM

1,020 posts, read 542,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda777 View Post
Probably not for a long time. No country on Earth has produced more Nobel Laureates than the US. When you lead the world in the production of ideas, it allows you to sustain a high wage knowledge economy.

List of Nobel laureates by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you look at most of the cutting edge knowledge industries, generally American firms are the ones leading the world and the high value work gets done in the US. In information technology, its American firms like Intel and Google.

Even in less complicated items, often the high value stuff is done here and the majority of the money spent on the product gets captured here.

15 years ago, your shoes were probably made in South Korea, but when wages got too high there they started getting made in China. If wages in China get too high, then they will start making them somewhere else maybe Vietnam or India.

In the US, you have plenty of people paying $75, $100 or more for a pair of shoes that probably only cost Nike $5 or $6 dollars to make in China. Consumers really don't care if the Nikes are made in China, Vietnam, or India only if they are labelled Nike. Thus the contract manufactures in Vietnam, China and India have very little bargaining power and really aren't making much money at all off the transaction. If they demand too much, Nike moves production somewhere else.

The vast majority of money spent on shoes isn't captured by the contract manufactures, but by Nike. Without actually manufacturing its shoes, Nike is still capturing most of the economic value from the sale of Nike brand shoes. Its the MBA's in the US employed by Nike that convinced consumers that the generic shoes at Big 5 selling for $15 aren't as good as the Air Jordan's selling for $300.

Because this country is really good that high value stuff like convincing people to pay an extra $285 (300-15) for a pair of shoes, that we probably won't become a third world nation anytime soon.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:36 AM

251 posts, read 501,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergirl888 View Post
Ughhh... This is my personal Pet Peave

I live in New England, where the garage as the front door is only a new phenomenon. Thankfully only the newer subdivisions are building like this. In a lot of the older homes, there is either not a garage, or it is detached, or on the side of the house.
And i like that my garage door is in front of my house and not detached.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:44 AM

24,625 posts, read 30,058,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaslover View Post
I don't understand why houses are so ugly and cheap made? I mean, in Europe we use brick and stones to build a house, here they are made out of wood.
This is sooo hillarious.

A good quantity of homes and buildings in Europe would be deemed uninhabitable by our standards.

Furthermore, our middle class lives in much nicer and bigger homes then their European counterparts. Its not even close.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:38 AM

165 posts, read 587,718 times
Ok, i have some catching up to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
hellaslover,

Now you are going to tell me, 4 years ago, at 19 you were driving a Mercades, had your own business etc. I am shocked any company were give you a loan on such a car at your age. Some of the things you are saying just do not add up. As for it being Bushs fault, no, it is the fault of greedy lenders and greedy people who think they have the right to the best of everything even if they can't pay for it. You sound like one of those people by the way.

I do feel sorry for those who have truely worked hard, are not head over heels in dept, do lose their jobs and can't make ends meet. And I do think the credit card companies should take these things into consideration, they too are greedy, but I do not blame this administration or any other for the mess, I blame people for making their own mistakes.

Nita
Few corrections: It's Mercedes, not Mercades, this is a German automaker not a Mexican market. Were should be would. It's Bush's, not Bushs. Truly not truely. Debt and not dept (or else x15 would ***** about it, but i guess it's ok with him you made the same mistake as me previously since you 're agreeing with him). Sorry i had to correct you, but you corrected me for not capitalizing America. Karma is a *****.

And yes, 4 years ago i was driving a Mercedes (not a brand new, a 28k car) which i could afford the payments just fine. And yes, i had my own produce license and was self employed. And i'm not a rich and stuck up kid. I just like nice things and i get them as long as i can afford them.

ps. Credit card companies have always been greedy, that's not what caused the mess. And people that suffer are not just the ones that lived above their means. You can't really blame anyone for not being able to support themselves and pay their bills when they have no job and got laid off because of the economy......so your point is invalid.

And its funny you talking about living above our means. The average American lives in a lot bigger house than he/she really needs, and there's more cars than drivers per household.

Kid Quake:
"And face it, if God didn't put our oil under Iraqi sand we would've never invaded that *****hole. Iraq could've just said, okay, take our oil and go, but no, they wanted to play cowboys and Iraqis."

OMG you have to be the dumbest American on earth!!!
I putting this quote as my signature on another forum. I'm sure people can use a good laugh! I'm not even gonna bother make a comment on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they are only ugly if you dont own them once you do they become beautiful.
When you own them you are "forced" to like them and look at them as being beautiful. It's like getting a bad tattoo.

Quote:

Even though i do agree that Greece is corrupt and poor, how can you compare a small country like Greece to a country like the U.S? A fair comparison would be comparing an average size U.S state to Greece, and in that case Greece wins hands up. And yes we do smoke a lot, but what exactly are you trying to say? That we are low class because of that? Is it better than 1/2 kids smoke weed? What has your country done to educate kids on smoking weed? You are really not making much sense. And we do not discriminate on women any more than you discriminate on blacks.

The links you have posted do not tell me anything about Greece's culture. A country that is small and "poor" can have culture. It is the bigger countries that have lost their identity due to immigration. If you want to prove that Greece has no culture you 're gonna have to do a lot more google search, and good luck with that. Since you pointed out our education level, let me first say that average Greek has a lot more knowledge than the average American. Greeks have the brain and the skills to succeed. Greece does not provide the opportunities and has a ****ed up system and government. Some of the richest people in Sacramento area alone are Greeks, including Spanos and Tsakopoulos (passed away recently)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
I will just say that where I lived in Greece people were well educated and just about everybody spoke english, my neighbor spoke 9 languages. Btw the guys name is not Hellalover it is HellasLover, Hellas=Greece. I disagree that all houses in america are ugly, I bet we have more nice looking houses here then Greece does also, of course we have about 30 times the population.
I read in your previous post that you lived in Glyfada. Truth is that Glyfada is one of the more upscale areas in Athens. Not many Greeks speak so many languages or even fluently English. I am guessing you didn't stay long enough to fully understand Greece and its people, if not, can you make a comment on our culture? I have always wondered what people thought of Greece after living there. (if you had a bad experience that's ok, but be honest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is sooo hillarious.

A good quantity of homes and buildings in Europe would be deemed uninhabitable by our standards.

Furthermore, our middle class lives in much nicer and bigger homes then their European counterparts. Its not even close.

Bigger does not mean better or "quality". Is a big car a nice car? Is this how you judge things, by their size? And how exactly do you define "nice"? Houses that are build in bulks, out of wood, with a huge garage and a tiny entrance on the side is not appealing to me. Not matter the square footage. I would much rather have a smaller house, custom built to my taste that has personality and character, and does not shake when i jump (no i'm not fat).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento