U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-06-2008, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,494 times
Smile Possible relocation to Sacramento, CA

I am waiting on a job offer and if all works out, my partner and I will have to relocate to Sac. I wanted to get some feedback regarding neighborhoods to live in. I am a professional and my partner is a retired police officer. No kids, but we have pets. We want to rent a home first before possible purchase to get to know the different areas.

We'd actually not like to live smack dab..next to a school if at all possible; I've been reading some of the postings and there's discussions on
suburbs.. What suburb is a good one: crime rate; commuting into sac; diversity, (gay).

Appreciate your feedback!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 10:31 PM

754 posts, read 1,505,871 times
The suburbs around Sacramento aren't particularly ethnically diverse, and are even less welcoming to an openly gay couple. El Dorado and Placer Counties are very Republican, very "Christian", and in many ways, are really behind the times when it comes to socially progressive issues. I'm not saying people there are hostile per say, but if you want to live in a more comfortable social climate, I would recommend living in Sacramento - Midtown, Land Park, East Sacramento are very tolerant and diverse. Outside of the city to the west, I think Davis would be a good fit as well.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:07 PM

1,020 posts, read 622,980 times
Perhaps this will help you narrow down your options.

Interactive Graphics - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/1232/rich_media/1355616.html - broken link)

Old 12-08-2008, 12:14 PM

6,050 posts, read 11,173,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
The suburbs around Sacramento aren't particularly ethnically diverse, and are even less welcoming to an openly gay couple. El Dorado and Placer Counties are very Republican, very "Christian", and in many ways, are really behind the times when it comes to socially progressive issues. I'm not saying people there are hostile per say, but if you want to live in a more comfortable social climate, I would recommend living in Sacramento - Midtown, Land Park, East Sacramento are very tolerant and diverse. Outside of the city to the west, I think Davis would be a good fit as well.
There are at least 5 gay couples that live in my little neck of the woods and nobody cares about it at all. While my voting precinct has the highest percentage of republican voters in the county, it also has the highest # of greens as well.

The foothills of CA are a place where nobody actually gives a D**m about the way you live, because they don't want you to give a D**m about them either.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:37 PM

754 posts, read 1,505,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
There are at least 5 gay couples that live in my little neck of the woods and nobody cares about it at all. While my voting precinct has the highest percentage of republican voters in the county, it also has the highest # of greens as well.

The foothills of CA are a place where nobody actually gives a D**m about the way you live, because they don't want you to give a D**m about them either.
I really beg to differ.
I worked in Placer County for over 5 years and heard many ignorant, racial slurs and homophobic comments. This baloney would never fly in any progressive city, (even Sacramento), without getting your face bashed in. Also, there was just a complete lack of awareness of the real world especially from college-aged young people. If it didn't have to do with shopping, plastic surgery, or the kiddie's soccer games, adults were just not interested. Of course, there was always plenty of time for them to shove their religious beliefs down your throat.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:17 PM

114 posts, read 322,269 times
Default Bull****

Don't purport as fact your biased opinions. It IS a fact that Placer County is quite Republican according to voting records (one of the highest in the state if not THE highest). But to say these citizens are behind the times or even Christian is purely the voices in your head.

You should look into the education level of downtown Sac vs Rocklin/Roseville/Granite Bay and see if you can make a premise about how education plays a roll in people's attitudes towards being with the times or socially progressive. In most studies in every part of the world the more educatated one is the more socially progressive and even less religious one is.

I'll give you another clue. Lots of families with kids live in these communities. You won't find gay couples holding hands in parks simply because few live around there. It's boring as hell in that context because everyone's busy doing their own family thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post

Old 12-12-2008, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 37,026 times
I hate to tell you this, but the crime rate in Sacramento is VERY HIGH!!! in fact, it is second to Los Angeles in terms of murder and other crimes. When I moved here I had no idea how high the crime rate was, I would never have purchased where I did. West Sacramento is also a very high crime rate. I would check the figures before you choose a community.

Commuting into Sacramento from Davis can be challenging, but Davis is a nice community if you want to live in a liberal environment. Remember, Davis is a college town. Consider also: Fair Oaks, Orangevale, Citrus Heights, Carmichael. While Land Park is beautiful as is the Mid town area, tons of homeless and awful crime, wouldn't want to live there for sure! Cost to live in the City of Sacramento is pretty high as well. If you are looking to rent, it doesn't really matter, but the utilites in the City of Sac are really high, and the property taxes are as well. Do your research before you purchase!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardius View Post
Perhaps this will help you narrow down your options.

Interactive Graphics - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/1232/rich_media/1355616.html - broken link)
Thanks for the interactive graphics from sacbee. That's reall interesting and helpful. My partner and I are down home people; normal in that we are past the partying "gay" life; and the issue of being "out" for us is not about holding hands in public..but, living our lives truthfully... so, the question of what community is best is really about diversity and general overall environment - good people.

Thanks for all your feedback. It truly helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento