U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-29-2008, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 15,354 times

Advertisements

Hello there I have been out of CDC for about a month and am trying to find a job to help support my family if any one knows of any company that will hire a ex-felon I would appreciate any info you may offer. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 PM

6,136 posts, read 11,474,055 times
Try roofing contractors or paving contractors. Perhaps even construction trades unions.

Good Luck!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:44 PM

6,039 posts, read 5,180,439 times
Some states offers tax credits to employers who hire felons, in kansas there are jobs with lot of felons on the line working

Old 12-29-2008, 07:15 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,755,345 times
If you are serious about starting over you are going to have to work twice as hard as others to find a job. They are out there, don't give up. But you'll have to work hard to find someone willing to take the initial chance on you. Good luck!

One company that takes the chance is Electronic Recyclers Intl (HQ in Fresno).

ERI is run by one of the founders of LA's Homeboy Tortillas (now Homeboy Industries), John Shegerian. He also owns Addicted.com. What he has said is "I believe you can recycle everything, including lives."

They have hired people serious about a fresh start in life. Over 1/3 of their 200 employees are in its second chances program for ex-cons and ex-addicts.

Not all can make it working there (they are serious about what they expect from people in the second chance program) but ERI claims many take advantage of the chance to start a new life and stay out of repeat trouble. They also promote from within so some who have started at minimum wage are now supervisors and managers.

ERI now has locations in Fresno and across the US in Denver, Boston, Seattle, and other states.
Recycle Computer and E-waste Here – California and Massachusetts – Electronic Recyclers International®

Here are a couple of videos about the company and its work with people with felony records. They include comments from others who are in their program.
Valley Business Offers Second Chances : Electronic Recyclers
ABC30 - Anti Gang Plan : Electronic Recyclers
CBS47 - Anti Gang Plan : Electronic Recyclers

Old 01-01-2009, 04:14 PM

307 posts, read 334,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leyva1717 View Post
Hello there I have been out of CDC for about a month and am trying to find a job to help support my family if any one knows of any company that will hire a ex-felon I would appreciate any info you may offer. Thank you

Sorry to here your having trouble. Without knowing anything about you it makes it tough to recommend. Interests, Skills, Education, Past Jobs, etc will define many areas to check. Whether you were a computer geek with a Masters or a construction worker with 5 years of Drywall experience will radically change our answers. Like wise the crime you are convicted of is important. Whether you were convicted of battery or embezzlement will radically change the chance of you getting a job as a cashier, or as an aid to the Elderly. Likewise do you have a car, or Pickup truck. How long can you go before you NEED to make money.

Since we lack that information I’ll just throw out a few general suggestions.

Try sending Applications to Companies on Craigs List. They tend to think a bit outside the box.
craigslist: sacramento classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Especially Part Time
classifieds - craigslist

And General Labor
sacramento general labor jobs classifieds - craigslist

If you have a PO (Parole Officer) try talking to him or her.

If you are religious try going to your church/Synagogue/Temple. Even if you have not been to religious services for a while many will welcome you.

Temp Agencies might be worth a try.

You may need to work some of the lower jobs initially. Construction in any other economy would be a good choice, but with the housing market it may be tough.

I know the Sacramento Bee had, and may still have, openings in the paper processing room. (Slinging, wrapping and distributing the paper). Likewise either them or the “news and reviews” has delivery jobs. N&R was one day a week, but you would make several hundred dollars.

Pizza Delivery may be willing.

Check the smaller fast food restaurants, Adalbertos, local burger joints, etc.

A few websites and the pertinent info I found

Hire American Ex-offenders/find A Job--new [Archive] - Prison Talk

“I know this may not be much of a job for those looking, any job is better then none. I managed a Pizza Hut for years, and they like to hire at least one felon and one mentally challenged indivial per unit as they get a tax break for it.”

What employers hire convited felons? - Yahoo! Answers

“Felons get jobs all the freaking time. For a while, after my conviction, I had a slew of jobs –

a.Delivering newspapers from 2:30 am to 5:30 am. ($200 a week)
b.Washed dishes for $7.00/hour every mid-day. ($150 a week)
c.Waited tables as a waiter every evening. ($150.00 a week)

I didn’t sleep much, but three part time jobs paid me $25,000 a year. I didn’t see my wife much, except on the weekends. But I made an ‘acceptable’ living and paid my bills, holding my head high.

After a while, my paper delivery job collided with my dish washing job, so I got a different job during the day – working as a general laborer for Labor Ready ($30 a day).

While working the three jobs, I also applied to numerous job applications in the Sunday paper, on Monster.com and on career builders.com. Every week or so, I would get a “bite.” Someone would call or email with interest in hiring me. I would ask – “What are the requirements? Drug test? Background check? Credit Check?” Most people would say – “Yes, a background check and drug test.”

But, you know what? Sometimes….every now and then, someone would say –

“No….no background check, but we do test all applicants for drugs.” Once I heard that, I would work very, very, very hard to get that job.

After a year of working three jobs and sending resumes, I was hired. My salary - $32,000.

Best of Luck, and know that we are behind you.

Random

Old 06-26-2009, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 13,768 times
Hi my name is Anthony, an im an ex-convict thats been looking for work that could support my family an I for some time now. I was sent away for assault an battery An a G.B.I. An for me that makes it very hard to find good work. An to make a long story short , the guy was a neighbor an would come by once an a while to say hi to the family an our new bourn Apryl Sky Abernathy. One day a little girl my wife used to watch came over an told me about the neighbor sleeping with her. Some say i over reacted, some sobbed an cried because of the way i was treated by the police an or court. Note the police had already knew about the situation an did nothing.( said they where investigating) an this so called man (Andrew poor) was charged an convicted for what he did, an only because what i did. He was released an i was sent away a later released with the major struggle with employment. An there's my short story. So if there's any one with an advice or help please let me kno, Im from sacramento with many skills. Thanks for your moment of time. Anthony

Old 06-26-2009, 09:10 PM

3,771 posts, read 4,815,461 times
You should both be working with the State Employment Development Department,that is until Arnold shuts the State down. Tell them your history and they can certify you for the WOTC (Work Opportunity Tax Credit) a Federal tax credit that is worth up to $2400 the first year. Don't try to get a job alone. Find an agency to work with. And good for you for turning your lives around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento