Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 11,708 times

Advertisements

I am 15 years old almost 16 and I am looking for a part time job. I am attending home school and am available any time. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 11:18 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
hehe I was going to suggest selling candy at school for 50% mark up but you are home schooled so that won't work. Are you authorized to work yet? I know there is extra rules for minors if they want to work. You are going to have to look into fast food places, retail etc.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Go to school!

Old 01-12-2009, 12:15 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Or gain your riches at Taco Bell, they always need deep friers.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:48 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,895,511 times
To get hired in the formal economy, you are going to need a work permit. When I was in high school, I would have got mine from the school counselor, but as a home school student, I am not sure where you would get one - but you might check with the Sacramento County Office of Education.

The jobs that paid the best were tutoring. In high school, I was tutoring people in Math. I was charging $15 dollars an hour. But usually that was only two or three hours a week.

The most enjoyable jobs I had would working at a summer camp, working in a video store and working at yogurt shop. The eastiest jobs to get were washing dishes in a restaurant and mowing lawns.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:09 PM

15 posts, read 89,581 times
I think it is a wonderful thing that you want to work! As many adults and parents out there would suggest... just make sure you keep school your priority! You will struggle much more in life as an adult without a good education!

With that being said.....

I would choose a job at a place that you think you would enjoy. Be Professional when you show up to put in an application and ask to speak to the Manager. Don't ask if they are hiring until you speak to the Manager. Just submitting an application will not leave an impression of you, especially if you have never had a job before. Once the Manager shows up tell him that you are looking for part time work and that you are home schooled so you can work around whatever hours they would need. Be very positive and assured in who you are. Always remember when you walk into an interview or meet a Manager about wanting a job to be Mature, Professional (no ripped jeans) and let them know why it is beneficial for them to hire you. I would make sure that you tell them a positive reason as to why you are being home schooled as well. It's really good to be self assured when talking to them but not too cocky.

Good luck in finding a job!

Old 01-15-2009, 01:51 PM

59 posts, read 160,264 times
babysitting is always a good job for teens. i used to do that until i was 17 and got a job as a waitress working only two hours a day but the tips were great.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:48 PM

47 posts, read 220,942 times
I was also homeschooled and grew up in Sac - you do have to get a work permit though the school that is in your district (where you would go to school if you went to public school). There are very specific restrictions about when and where you can work, and I'm pretty sure your boss has to sign something and then you give it back to the school. The best places to find a job are the little mom & pop shops - that was my first job. Good luck!!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:41 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
The park districts in your area might be hiring for pool cashiers, life guards, summer camp staff, etc. Fun and easy jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento