Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 22,591 times

Advertisements

My Son is looking for an apartment that is close to Beale AFB so that he can bring his new bride home. Does anyone have any suggestions for a place that is nice and also safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 04:05 PM

209 posts, read 586,860 times
Since no one else responded, I'll tell you what I know. I lived on Beale AFB back in the 70s when I was a kid. The base is pretty isolated. The nearest towns are Wheatland (about 5 miles away) and Marysville/Yuba City (twin cities that are about 10 miles away) Wheatland is only about 2500 people, whereas Marysville/Yuba City is more like 75,000.

Not having been to any of these places in 30 years, I can't tell you about where good apartments are, but perhaps you can use the city names to google for further information yourself.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:34 AM

15 posts, read 89,353 times
When my ex husband and I looked for homes in Lawton, Oklahoma years ago, we enlisted the help of a Real Estate Agent... I would suggest that you contact a Realtor in that area and just ask which "areas" would be good to rent or possibly contact a local property management company to ask those questions. Wheatland, Yuba City/Marysville are actually a bit of a drive from Sacramento so I don't know if you will get the help that you need from this board....

Old 01-24-2009, 08:45 AM

9 posts, read 57,242 times
Wheatland is popular and is close to the gate. Very popular with Beale workers and troops.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:42 PM

167 posts, read 449,529 times
Wheatland would be my suggestion. you might also look for a rental home near camp far west lake. there used to be quite a few out there.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:23 PM

6 posts, read 41,060 times
Wheatland is a small farm town... I havent been there in about a year, but they were putting in some new homes. My husband was at Beale and we lived in Roseville. It was about a 40 min. commute but well worth it to us. The places he had lived in off base in Marysville/Yuba were NOT good and I hardly ever felt safe being out by myself. Another area to check out is Lincoln. It is near the malls and Roseville. Everyone who was stationed at Beale always drove into Roseville for anything like shopping, dining, movies.... Lincoln is also the fastest growing town and is about 30 mins from base. I think that would be a good area for him. Wheatland is pretty small. The base is pretty isolated... hardly anything going around...

My husband jokes that he was so excited to get stationed in CA, thinking it was like the CA he sees on TV... then once he got to Beale he realized what a mistake he had made!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:28 PM

43 posts, read 247,838 times
I lived in wheatland and marysville for about 17 years until last month. Im 19 years old which im guessing is withing a few years of your sons age. Wheatland has grown and has a couple of new housing areas, I really like it. The people there are some of the nicest people i've met and they tend to be the type to give you the shirt off their backs, actually thats basically everyone in the areas around the base.

marysville and yuba city are bigger and have a small mall and a bunch of shopping centers. Its about ten minutes from wheatland and about 45 minutes from Sacramento/Roseville area. As for the crime, dont worry about it. I see slinville85 said she felt afraid to walk alone. Maybe she just wasnt used to the area, but i dont know of ANYONE who would say that. The houses aren't the most upkept and stuff but i really feel i could trust the vast majority of people and have never have problems. I've gone to san francisco a bunch of times and even in the nice areas i faced way more problems than i ever have in yuba/sutter county. that being said STAY OUT OF LINDA, which is a little southeast of marysville.

Lincoln and roseville are alot more expensive but thats where everyone goes for shopping and movies and pretty much everything. if they can afford it then they should move there, but yuba city really isnt that bad once you get over that fact that california isnt really like baywatch. by the way, tahoe is a little over a hour away and San francisco is 2 hours, which is really nice.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 37,031 times
you can rent a house in edgewater or there are some decent apartments in yuba city. if you don't want to live on base that is the way to go.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 30,395 times
I grew up in Yuba City - not a bad town, but not anything special. Small town and crime isn't really that bad, but there are areas to stay away from. River Oaks Apartments - newly built in a nice, new area in South Yuba City. I also lived in North Yuba City near Granada Apartments and Garden West (One and Two) Apartments. As a single 18 year old female back then, never had any problems. I now live in Roseville and absolutely love it. Probably because for "things to do" people from Yuba City come to Sacramento and Roseville. Tons of restaurants, shopping, also never had a problem here. It is a bit more expensive than Yuba City. Last I checked, a one bedroom at River Oaks (definitely the nicest apartment complex in Yuba) ran about 800-900. They go up to 1200 I believe. Decent apartments in Roseville are the same. They can be lower or higher. Crime rates are lower in Roseville. Marysville is a bit run down and Wheatland is small, but friendly from what I've heard. Depends on your personality, I've had friends love it and hate it. Everybody knows everybody there.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:01 PM

7 posts, read 27,629 times
lol ZOMBIE THREAD

Wheatland is OK if you don't mind having nothing but the base and a very, very small town nearby. Lincoln/Rocklin/Roseville are best if you want to live near civilization and don't mind a commute. Yuba/Sutter is a pretty dirty area for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento