Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:13 AM

771 posts, read 1,575,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen_klown View Post
If you have hang ups about organized religion, then I would avoid most of the Republican leaning suburbs including Granite Bay, Roseville and Folsom. If you have hang ups about homosexuals, I would avoid most of the liberal leaning suburbs like Davis and Curtis Park.

Some people aren't well suited at dealing with people who don't think exactly like themselves. If you are one of those people seek out other members of your tribe, so you don't have to deal with thoughts and beliefs that overwhelm your limited coping skills.
But the best hamburger in Sacramento is in Land Park at Dad's Kitchen... and that place is gay central. But who CARES?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 02:09 PM

406 posts, read 1,586,883 times
To each his own.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:38 PM

23 posts, read 144,281 times
we are democrats and don't attend a local church and feel totally at home in the community. it's a great area- very family-oriented, with friendly people who take great care of their homes and town. we considered davis, but didn't like the look of homes or neighborhoods, thought it was overpriced, and found that many homes were run-down in appearance. Granite Bay is a wonderful place to live.
I strongly disagree with people's comments about excessive displays of wealth-- I think the people who do that are in the minority and I highly doubt if people who make those claims about GB actually live here. It's an unfair stereotype.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:18 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,882,607 times
If you can afford to live in Granite Bay, I agree its nice place to live. But there are a lot of people who resent people who are more successful than they are. That too is a part of life.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:55 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
If just avoiding a church oriented area is your only concern, you can live anywhere in the Sac area and be just fine, but if, with your adversity to living a religious comes liberal views on other things, as someone has said, you will probably find a better fit in places like Davis.. This doesn't mean you will be unhappy in Granite Bay and certainly not everyone is a republican, consevative or extremely religious..

Nita

Old 04-15-2009, 11:36 PM

815 posts, read 2,688,637 times
Even if I had the millions to buy a nice spread; I certainly would pick a different area of California to spread my wealth than Granite Bay.
There is absolutely nothing worthwhile in that region -- It really sucks, quite honestly, for all the reasons already listed, not too mention the heat, the smog, and the racists.
I would much prefer living in Napa, Sonoma, or Marin County.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:42 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
Even if I had the millions to buy a nice spread; I certainly would pick a different area of California to spread my wealth than Granite Bay.
There is absolutely nothing worthwhile in that region -- It really sucks, quite honestly, for all the reasons already listed, not too mention the heat, the smog, and the racists.
wow, tell us how you real feel????

Nita

Old 04-16-2009, 11:38 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,529,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
If Napa, Sonoma, or Marin County were comparable in price and had as many good schools as Granite Bay, I might actually agree with you. We love those areas too, but they are typically at least double the price for anything somewhat comparable in terms of housing. And many of the schools are not rated as high. It's not really a good comparison, as we quickly found out by doing our research.

Please do elaborate on the racist comment though. My wife is proud of her Mexican heritage, and my daughter shares half of that heritage as well. I'd like to get more info from people like you who might have experienced certain negative situations involving race in the Granite Bay area. When we moved out to Denver we assumed we might encounter some different treatment, but we found that this wasn't the case. We've seen some misguided (and sometimes ignorant) assumptions being made here and there, but no real negative experiences to speak of. It's difficult to imagine the Sacramento region being less accepting of different races than Denver.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 15,344 times
Wink Granite bay churches

Hi grew up in granite bay not religous focused more materialistic now. Cars clothes money. Safe area great schools not country like it used to be. Don't need to be religous here. No one cares. Yuppy community thanks to all the transplants. Locals great. Live in neighboring town 22 years now Rocklin great community also not as expensive but not country anymore like Loomis Newcastle Penryn or Auburn Placer county is great. Safe mainly caucasian.Huge churches every where but we don't attend them and people don't bug u about it lots like us just good honest people. Most of us.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:21 PM

142 posts, read 532,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
If Napa, Sonoma, or Marin County were comparable in price and had as many good schools as Granite Bay, I might actually agree with you. We love those areas too, but they are typically at least double the price for anything somewhat comparable in terms of housing. And many of the schools are not rated as high. It's not really a good comparison, as we quickly found out by doing our research.

Please do elaborate on the racist comment though. My wife is proud of her Mexican heritage, and my daughter shares half of that heritage as well. I'd like to get more info from people like you who might have experienced certain negative situations involving race in the Granite Bay area. When we moved out to Denver we assumed we might encounter some different treatment, but we found that this wasn't the case. We've seen some misguided (and sometimes ignorant) assumptions being made here and there, but no real negative experiences to speak of. It's difficult to imagine the Sacramento region being less accepting of different races than Denver.
In the US people are reluctant to discuss issues of class, so often issues of class are discussed in through the prism of race.

Look at the demographics of Granite Bay and compare them with the demographics of say East Sac.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

If you compare the two regions there are about 5% more white people in Granite Bay than East Sac. The racial composition in the two places isn't that dissimiliar, but the income differences are pretty significant. There are a few more Asians in Granite Bay and few less African Americans and Hispanics in Granite Bay. Median household income is almost 101K in Granite Bay vs 55.8k in East Sac.

I think a lot of the race baiting regarding Granite Bay is more a function of resentment of the higher incomes in Granite Bay and then any actual racial animus. Granite Bay isn't the type of place you are going to find lots of racist skinhead gangs. This is where the children of the doctors and lawyers live. These are children of priviledge, they have much better options than joining a gang.

It tough to attack a region for having bigger homes or better schools or even wealthier people, so it gets attacked as being racist. But I think a lot of this is just class resentment from people who resent Granite Bay for being the home of the wealthy.

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2009 at 04:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento