U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-05-2009, 12:51 PM

165 posts, read 625,856 times

Advertisements

I will be opening a fruit stand soon and would like to sell drinks, chips and snacks. Who exactly do i have to contact (is it the warehouse in sacramento?) or a like a toll free number? How does it work? What percentage will be my profit and who's responsible for the things that expire before they 're sold? Also, will i have to make some sort of contract with the company and pay any money up front?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 02:29 PM

6,541 posts, read 15,130,177 times
If your volume is too low you will likely purchase from distributers or CostCo.
Most catering trucks buy from the CostCo, pallet loads.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:43 PM

406 posts, read 1,033,489 times
Are you going to be selling this stuff out of a roach coach or were you planning on renting a space somewhere?

After you have leased a space and the notice of occupany goes up, you will start hearing from various sale people who will try to sell stuff to businesses. If you don't hear from Pepsi or Coke, you can contact their local bottlers they should have telephone numbers in the phone book.

Your profit margin is whatever price you decide to mark up the Coke or the Pepsi.

Its probably worthwhile to contact both the sales reps for both Coke or Pepsi. If you haggle with the sales reps, you should be able to get one or both to throw in a cooler for selling their product.

You also might want to shop around after you have heard from the sales rep. If your shop isn't selling a lot of product, you may find that its cheaper to buy the product from either costco or even the local grocery store when its on sale.

If you are selling from a roach coach, you may need to contact the bottlers directly.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:32 PM

it's an actual store. i just want to have more than just produce. so i will have hot food (i might have a catering truck in the front of the store, there's plenty of room) and i though i need to have drinks, chips etc and maybe coffee and donuts. i don't know how many customers i would get since i haven't opened yet but generally is it a better idea to get the stuff from the companies or buy wholesale?
zen what do you mean i might get them to throw in a cooler? doesn't that come standard? otherwise i would have to buy one of those vending machines from costco that go for like 5k. and i don't even want a vending machine, more like one of those coke refrigerators that you get what you want and pay at the register.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:08 PM

This is the type of cooler I am talking about.

True Manufacturing 23 Cu.Ft Cooler Merchandiser Display w/ 1 Glass Door GDM-23 | ACityDiscount Restaurant Equipment
True Manufacturing 23 Cu.Ft Cooler Merchandiser Display w/ 1 Glass Door GDM-23 | ACityDiscount Restaurant Equipment

Let me clarify what I mean when I talk about them giving you a cooler. What I really mean is that they own the cooler, but they will lease it to you for nothing as long as you continue to stock their product in your store, and as long you don't stick the other guys stuff in this cooler. (if you get the cooler from Coke, you can't stick Pepsi products in it, if you get the cooler from Pepsi, you can't put Coke products in it). They will also probably have some sort of minimum order size that you need to place in order to keep being able to use the cooler for free. I would go with which ever sales rep requires a smaller minimum order size.

You might also want to start watching the paper for bankruptcy actions. If you get lucky you might be able to buy a lot of the fixtures for your shop second hand. That will help to reduce your start up costs.

What you may find is that its cheaper to get one of these coolers second hand and buy your beverages directly from costco or the grocery store when they have it on sale if you aren't selling a lot of Coke or Pepsi.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:39 PM

zen thanks for the links.
I really don't know how much i will sell. I do expect it to be busy since it's the only fruit stand in the area with 40-50k cars passing by (it's on highway 99).
My dillema is should i go with coke (ofcourse i will only sell their products) and only get 35% from the profits but have something less to worry about (the cooler is free, things that expire not my fault, restocking for free etc) or pay 1500 or so for a cooler and do everything myself. The store already has one big cooler that i will use to sell drinks from costco etc. but should i also bring coke products or get another cooler my own?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:16 PM

If you don't know what your sales are, I would hold off buying a cooler and I would hold off agreeing to take a cooler from either Coke or Pepsi. Use the existing cooler you have now and if the business later needs a new another cooler, then consider it then. When businesses first start out the business is pretty slow as you build up your base of regulars. Its probably more important to conserve cash in case business is slower than you anticipated.

I also wouldn't buy the cooler brand new. The failure rate for these types of shops is pretty high, so you probably can pick up a used one for not much money. Check the bankruptcy notices in the papers for auctions of people existing the business.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 31,090 times
how can i have a consignment for the coca cola products and services for the sinulog?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 31,090 times
anybody who can help me provide a contact number for the sales dept of coca cola?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:33 PM

229 posts, read 349,945 times
your best bet is to call Coca Cola directly, tell them your intentions and they will re-direct you to the right people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento