U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2009, 10:02 PM
 
461 posts, read 937,374 times
Reputation: 140

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontKnowIfImComingOrGoing View Post
Why do you dislike Sacramento Valley so much? Weather? I'm just curious.
There is a lot I dislike. Like the weather except from June -Sept. Dont' like the heat. Cost of living, people's attitudes for the most part. The job market isn't that great. I am from the east coast. I am use to that lifestyle.

 
Old 09-05-2009, 10:29 AM
 
59 posts, read 109,103 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
There is a lot I dislike. Like the weather except from June -Sept. Dont' like the heat. Cost of living, people's attitudes for the most part. The job market isn't that great. I am from the east coast. I am use to that lifestyle.
What do you mean by attitude?

I'm from the east coast as well (upstate New York) and my partner
and I also were just discussing about the next move (we've been in Sac for
two years).

We spent hours trying to put our finger on what we dislike about Sacramento.
We don't hate it, but we don't love it either. It's not jobs, we both have great jobs.
It's not the weather, we like that your not house-bound due to snow/cold for 5 months
of the year. Obviously enough people like Sacramento to live here, but we haven't
been crazy about it.

It's just that Sacramento lacks some sort
of character. This is kind of vague, so I'll elaborate. Character means some strong personality or benefit. Where I lived in Albany, New York had
character filled homes like the 1800's brownstones I restored and lived in, lots
of cultural events: from May to September every weekend downtown there was
a state sponsored concert, fair or something and most importantly, the people
were very sociable. Note I didn't say friendly, my neighbors here are friendly, but
no one has ever spontaneously invited me to a party, there are few community oriented events, no poker nights in the neighborhoods I've lived in (both midtown and
Elk grove).

As to a the cause, maybe its because people commute a lot here so are always
busy. As to the lack of events, maybe its because people are spoiled by the great
weather. In Albany from May to October, you got out and did stuff because
by Nov it was snowing and the snow didn't melt until April.

We are trying to love Sac for what it is, but it seems to be losing battle!
 
Old 09-06-2009, 03:27 PM
 
Location: San Diego (Unv Heights)
756 posts, read 1,561,210 times
Reputation: 527
[quote=nratchis;10607004] Good pace of life, not too much traffic, houses are really reasonable now. quote]

Not too much traffic? You have a point if you are comparing it to So Cal. But I would hardly say the Sac region has "not too much traffic".
It's pretty bad IMO.
 
Old 09-06-2009, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,477 posts, read 16,376,460 times
Reputation: 5319
[quote=cityx;10636814]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nratchis View Post
Good pace of life, not too much traffic, houses are really reasonable now. quote]

Not too much traffic? You have a point if you are comparing it to So Cal. But I would hardly say the Sac region has "not too much traffic".
It's pretty bad IMO.
Kind of odd, but I find that the east/west traffic moves very well, even in rush hour. However, I find that the north/south traffic can be very bad.

I suspect it is due to very limited bridges over the rivers.
 
Old 09-07-2009, 11:11 AM
 
Location: In exile in Richardson, TX
719 posts, read 730,178 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontKnowIfImComingOrGoing View Post
What do you mean by attitude?

I'm from the east coast as well (upstate New York) and my partner
and I also were just discussing about the next move (we've been in Sac for
two years).

We spent hours trying to put our finger on what we dislike about Sacramento.
We don't hate it, but we don't love it either. It's not jobs, we both have great jobs.
It's not the weather, we like that your not house-bound due to snow/cold for 5 months
of the year. Obviously enough people like Sacramento to live here, but we haven't
been crazy about it.

It's just that Sacramento lacks some sort
of character. This is kind of vague, so I'll elaborate. Character means some strong personality or benefit. Where I lived in Albany, New York had
character filled homes like the 1800's brownstones I restored and lived in, lots
of cultural events: from May to September every weekend downtown there was
a state sponsored concert, fair or something and most importantly, the people
were very sociable. Note I didn't say friendly, my neighbors here are friendly, but
no one has ever spontaneously invited me to a party, there are few community oriented events, no poker nights in the neighborhoods I've lived in (both midtown and
Elk grove).

As to a the cause, maybe its because people commute a lot here so are always
busy. As to the lack of events, maybe its because people are spoiled by the great
weather. In Albany from May to October, you got out and did stuff because
by Nov it was snowing and the snow didn't melt until April.

We are trying to love Sac for what it is, but it seems to be losing battle!
I agree with what you've written, even though I have just as much trouble putting my finger on the issue as you have above.

I've been here almost exactly two years, and the lack of "character" also is an issue for me.

When I hear locals extol the virtues of Sacramento, invariably in the top two or three is Sacramento's proximity to the Bay Area, Lake Tahoe, the ocean, etc, et al. OK, that's nice and all, but when one of the biggest selling points of a city is how easily you can *leave* and go other places, that strikes me as rather odd.

(I also have the additional difficulty of being a middle-aged gay man trying to find someone to date in the California pretty-boy culture, which is additionally taxing but not entirely relevant to this discussion!)

To be honest, I doubt I'll be staying here long-term.
 
Old 09-07-2009, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
50,145 posts, read 42,630,930 times
Reputation: 21652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
There is a lot I dislike. Like the weather except from June -Sept. Dont' like the heat. Cost of living, people's attitudes for the most part. The job market isn't that great. I am from the east coast. I am use to that lifestyle.
You don't like the weather except from Jane to Sept because you don't like heat? What the heck are you talking about? that is the hot part of the year. How about the heat on the east coast. I have lived both places, I am not crazy over heat either and don't like the temps in Sac during the summer, but they are not as bad as the east coast. You are from the east coast and don't like the cost of living, I would like to know where on the east coast you lived to think it is high in Sac? Now, the job market, where in Calif do you think it might be much better and life styple, you are used to the East Coast? There is nowhere in Calif other than maybe SFO you will get an east coarst life style?

Myabe you will get a chance to move back to the east coast one of these days.

Nita
 
Old 09-07-2009, 03:28 PM
 
461 posts, read 937,374 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You don't like the weather except from Jane to Sept because you don't like heat? What the heck are you talking about? that is the hot part of the year. How about the heat on the east coast. I have lived both places, I am not crazy over heat either and don't like the temps in Sac during the summer, but they are not as bad as the east coast. You are from the east coast and don't like the cost of living, I would like to know where on the east coast you lived to think it is high in Sac? Now, the job market, where in Calif do you think it might be much better and life styple, you are used to the East Coast? There is nowhere in Calif other than maybe SFO you will get an east coarst life style?

Myabe you will get a chance to move back to the east coast one of these days.

Nita
Don't like the weather from May-Sept. I wrote the wrong time frame. I am not getting into a huge debate over my personal opinion. This area isn't for me.
 
Old 09-07-2009, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
50,145 posts, read 42,630,930 times
Reputation: 21652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Don't like the weather from May-Sept. I wrote the wrong time frame. I am not getting into a huge debate over my personal opinion. This area isn't for me.
I understand your hot liking it and it not being for you, but I always have problems with people who confuse fact with opinion: when you said things like cost of living and job opportunities, these are more opinion than fact. Sac does not have a high cost of living compared to other places in California or even the east coast and the job market, though not good isn't any worse than in other parts of the state.

You opinion, is one thing and we all have a right to it, but when you say things as fact you are giving some people wrong information.

Nita
 
Old 09-07-2009, 04:33 PM
 
461 posts, read 937,374 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I understand your hot liking it and it not being for you, but I always have problems with people who confuse fact with opinion: when you said things like cost of living and job opportunities, these are more opinion than fact. Sac does not have a high cost of living compared to other places in California or even the east coast and the job market, though not good isn't any worse than in other parts of the state.

You opinion, is one thing and we all have a right to it, but when you say things as fact you are giving some people wrong information.

Nita
What facts was I stating that aren't true?
 
Old 09-07-2009, 04:37 PM
 
461 posts, read 937,374 times
Reputation: 140
I didn't state any facts in this post. See, this is why I don't get into why I dislike the Sacramento valley. Topics like this just seem to end badly and I really don't mean anything bad about it or am upset but just giving my view on this. I am not saying anything more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top