Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 10:53 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,202,875 times

Advertisements

i don't think i could ever leave Sac unless I get married and decide to start a new life elsewhere. I cannot afford the bigger cities such as San Diego, LA, or SF, but Sacramento does the trick.

I have a nice lifestyle here which I could never afford in those other cities. I own a nice home in a nice part of a nice suburb. I love mexican and asian food and Sacramento have alot of good quality restaurants for those cuisines. Hell, with the exception of soul food and a true BBQ joint, SAcramento has great restaurants, PERIOD!!!! I don't like traffic and Sacramento isn't known for its traffic. I give Sacramento two thumbs up!

Old 08-04-2014, 11:19 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,195,778 times
Stop by 24th and K Street in a couple of months--the space formerly occupied by Rick's Dessert Diner is planning to reopen as a soul food/BBQ restaurant in a couple of months. And South, a Southern style restaurant, is getting ready to open at 11th and T Street not long after that.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Stop by 24th and K Street in a couple of months--the space formerly occupied by Rick's Dessert Diner is planning to reopen as a soul food/BBQ restaurant in a couple of months. And South, a Southern style restaurant, is getting ready to open at 11th and T Street not long after that.

Ay, good looking out, dude. The only place that I heard that had decent soul food was Sandradees (sp?) But that food is crap compared to Gussies in SF or Rosco's chicken and waffles.

Is there any good bbq places that you know of. I've been to the tank house and i wasn't impressed. I mean, i am a damn good BBQ'er so I have high standards. Dickey's is solid but it's very over priced.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:55 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,787,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
I mean, i am a damn good BBQ'er so I have high standards. Dickey's is solid but it's very over priced.
Dickey's is cheap chain BBQ. Gag

Old 08-05-2014, 01:31 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,563,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontKnowIfImComingOrGoing View Post
What do you mean by attitude?

I'm from the east coast as well (upstate New York) and my partner
and I also were just discussing about the next move (we've been in Sac for
two years).

We spent hours trying to put our finger on what we dislike about Sacramento.
We don't hate it, but we don't love it either. It's not jobs, we both have great jobs.
It's not the weather, we like that your not house-bound due to snow/cold for 5 months
of the year. Obviously enough people like Sacramento to live here, but we haven't
been crazy about it.

It's just that Sacramento lacks some sort
of character. This is kind of vague, so I'll elaborate. Character means some strong personality or benefit. Where I lived in Albany, New York had
character filled homes like the 1800's brownstones I restored and lived in, lots
of cultural events: from May to September every weekend downtown there was
a state sponsored concert, fair or something and most importantly, the people
were very sociable. Note I didn't say friendly, my neighbors here are friendly, but
no one has ever spontaneously invited me to a party, there are few community oriented events, no poker nights in the neighborhoods I've lived in (both midtown and
Elk grove).

As to a the cause, maybe its because people commute a lot here so are always
busy. As to the lack of events, maybe its because people are spoiled by the great
weather. In Albany from May to October, you got out and did stuff because
by Nov it was snowing and the snow didn't melt until April.

We are trying to love Sac for what it is, but it seems to be losing battle!
Funny because to me Sac had endless character. You referenced brownstones. There are beautiful, amazing victoruan homes all over Sac. It has more trees than any other city in the world other than Paris. And ironically, my GF amd I were walking in Midtown on the 4th and low and behold, an entire neighborhood had sectioned its area off and had signs denoting a "block party". I see far more community here than I ever have in SF, Seattle or any other major metro that I have been to. You can see that simply by comparing Sac's "Sacramento News and Review" to other city's free community magazines.

I must say, within 2 weeks of moving here 4 of my neighbors invited me out for drinks and dancing. When I moved to my next place, within a month or two I was going out with 2 new neighbors to hooka bars, drinks etc. I met and dated a girl within my first month in Sac. All the way around it has been by FAR the best place that I have ever lived or even visited in terms of meeting people. With all sincerity. If not for the awesome community here I'd have left yrs ago.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 AM

Yeah, we may have different opinions about BBQ. I like Tank House, and haven't been to Dickey's because I heard it wasn't very good--but know it's pretty cheap compared to Tank House. The place opening in Rick's old space is an expansion of a local BBQ joint in Oak Park on Broadway.

sacite: I can only assume that this poster lived out in a newer suburb and never visited the older neighborhoods where there is a lot more character, or Midtown where there is a big public event practically every weekend 6-8 months of the year.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:35 PM

57 posts, read 114,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
Ay, good looking out, dude. The only place that I heard that had decent soul food was Sandradees (sp?) But that food is crap compared to Gussies in SF or Rosco's chicken and waffles.

Is there any good bbq places that you know of. I've been to the tank house and i wasn't impressed. I mean, i am a damn good BBQ'er so I have high standards. Dickey's is solid but it's very over priced.
Have you tried Mo Mo's Meat Market in Tahoe Park?

Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderscl View Post
Have you tried Mo Mo's Meat Market in Tahoe Park?

no man. Do you recommend it? Is it only a meat market or a BBQ restaurant?

Old 08-05-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Yeah, we may have different opinions about BBQ. I like Tank House, and haven't been to Dickey's because I heard it wasn't very good--but know it's pretty cheap compared to Tank House. The place opening in Rick's old space is an expansion of a local BBQ joint in Oak Park on Broadway.

sacite: I can only assume that this poster lived out in a newer suburb and never visited the older neighborhoods where there is a lot more character, or Midtown where there is a big public event practically every weekend 6-8 months of the year.

I forgot the prices for tank house but my ribs were dry and my chicken was over done. I know in SF on third street, i got some bomb ***** places there. Like that whole street is like heaven for foodies.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:33 AM

I don't think Tank House serves chicken. Sure we're talking about the same place?

Grub - Tank House BBQ & Bar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento