Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 09:48 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times

Advertisements

"Midtown" is kind of variable--technically, it is the area from J to R Street between 15th and 29th. However, for many folks, the central city (the off-center square enclosed by the Sacramento River, the Union Pacific railroad tracks at B Street, Business 80 and Highway 50) are split into "downtown" (the western half) and "midtown" (the eastern half.) And since Midtown became the local media darling, a lot of people are defining places farther and farther from Midtown as Midtown.

Here's a map of central city/East Sac neighborhoods that might be helpful:
Neighborhood Associations in Area 1 (http://www.cityofsacramento.org/ns/nadb/nad.cfm?areaid=1 - broken link)

Streets in the central city are all named with numbers and letters, except M Street was renamed "Capitol Avenue" because the state capitol was plopped in the middle of M Street. The old city limits were 31st Street and Y Street, whose names were later changed to "Alhambra" and "Broadway" when the drainage ditch and levee formerly on those streets were replaced by theaters and early 20th century development.

Downtown/midtown Sacramento is not a dense urban place in the same sense as, say, San Francisco or downtown Portland, but it is the densest part of the region. Our really old city core was mostly demolished in the 1950s and replaced with office buildings, the rest of the central city is 19th century horsecar suburbs and early 20th century streetcar suburbs. There are some mid-rise early 20th century apartment buildings, low-slung mid-century apartment buildings, and a broad assortment of 19th-early 20th single-family and multi-unit houses on small lots, generally detached rather than attached or row houses.

There are two supermarkets in Midtown--a Safeway at 19th & R and a place called Rick's Uptown Market on 17th & Capitol (formerly M Street.) There are a large number of little corner stores in the ground floors old mixed-use buildings and converted residential buildings. Some are pretty much liquor stores, but others carry a surprising array of stuff, and the Asian markets in Southside have a surprising variety of imported specialty Asian goods. The biggest Asian market is just across the street from Target on Broadway and 13th. Midtown has a lot of small local businesses--gift shops, record stores, bookstores, comic shops, art galleries, and a whole lot of restaurants. Quite a lot of bars, too.

The closest Target is on Broadway (formerly 31st Street) just outside the central city. There is a downtown mall, part of the area plowed under by redevelopment in the 1950s/60s, but aside from the Macy's there isn't much worth shopping for there--the mall is owned by a mall chain with a big shiny mall in Roseville and they don't want to compete against themselves.

West Sacramento was a primarily industrial/agricultural little town across the river until they got some levee upgrades about a decade ago. A brand-new suburb, Southport, is built on former agricultural land, it is basically the same combination of cul-de-sacs, beige/taupe stucco boxes, and retail power centers with the exact same stores as anywhere else. West Sac's appeal (to me, at least) is the handful of remaining funky little semi-rural places along its north end. It's a suburb. Its main advantage is that it is much closer to downtown than most of the funky little farm towns that exploded into suburbs during the housing bubble.

Last edited by wburg; 01-08-2010 at 10:13 AM..

Old 01-08-2010, 03:07 PM

23 posts, read 101,386 times
Thanks wburg, that is a lot of useful information, now we know what to look for when we go to visit and explore the city. Thanks again.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,649 times
i don't see why you would move to outlying areas NEAR sac instead of moving into the city of sacramento...everyone knows those "copy-cat" cities and unincorporated areas are where the people who hate there city live...the only person that enjoy's copy-cat cities are the mayors of those hell-ridden pieces of crap...if you live in a copy-cat city STAY in your OWN city...don't come to sac to fulfill all the things your city can never do.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:31 PM

290 posts, read 544,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I have never understood the people who say Sacramento lacks character.
If you have to travel a lot whether for business or pleasure you'll understand. Sacramento is not a bad place, but it does lack in regards to the number of things you can do entertainment wise (and I dont just mean 20 something dive clubs in downtown sac). Its much better then it was a few years ago but its just not quite the same as other cities.

I wish mass transit in sac was better. They want more people to do things downtown? Make light rail available in the later hours. Right now light rail is pretty useless except for work commuting. Heck instead of dealing with the pain that is parking downtown I'd take the light rail into town, but no thats to extreme for Sacramento.

We finally have an NBA team. But getting a new arena may take an act of God. If you have ever been to arena's in other cities you'll understand why Arco is reffered to as a small barn. Granted its better then nothing.

And speaking of Arco. Have you ever seen a concert at Arco? The sound is terrible. So now if you want to see a good concert for a big act you may be able to see it at the crest, (maybe) otherwise you have to drive out to Marysville or deal with Echo arena. Marysville what?

Remember when Sac had America Live? That was kind of cool, it sure didnt last too long. I go to other cities and they have all kinds of venues like that. In sac its mostly small closet club's that are mostly young 20 somethings. Nothing against folks in their twenties, but the places in sac are so small.

How about some Karaoke bars. They are far and few between in Sac. Most of these are hole in the wall places. Nothing against them they are fun, but again, small and very crowded.

I would just like to see more variety of things you can do in Sac. Better mass transit, a better arena for sports and entertainment, oh and for downtown an actual skyline. Granted I'm a bit jaded due to the travel I have to do for work at times. Seattle, Arizona, Orange County etc.

Last edited by webdev; 02-26-2010 at 07:43 PM..

Old 02-26-2010, 09:22 PM

webdev: America Live was cheesy as hell, I went there once and was unimpressed and do not mourn its passing. I don't give a damn about the NBA or professional sports in general, and the last time I saw an arena concert was in 1988. I suppose an arena is something many people like, and sports are something many people seem to consider important, but it's not really something that holds my interest.

Karaoke sounds about as fun to me as rolling around in thumbtacks and then jumping in a vat of lemon juice, but if you haven't found any karaoke bars in Sacramento the only possible explanation is that you have been tied up inside a burlap sack the entire time you were in Sacramento, because there are plenty of them. Here are 56 reviews on Yelp for karaoke places in Sacramento:

Karaoke Sacramento

As for those 20-something dive clubs, I go to plenty of them. They tend to vary in size quite a bit, from little illegal venues to the Crest and the Memorial Auditorium, and maybe the lighting is really bad in the ones you have visited and you can't see the wrinkles, but plenty of people who go to those clubs who are well into their 30-somethings, or 40-somethings (like me) or creeping up towards 50. There are clubs all over the city and the region, not just downtown, and if you can't find them, again I blame the burlap sack you're apparently stuck in.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm no social speed demon, I'm an aging, bald, bookish nerd. But generally my main dilemna when it comes to social activities is picking which event of several on any night I'd like to attend--often there are several happening at the same time that I'd like to visit but there just aren't enough hours in the day. And that's not counting all the high-end ultra-lounge type places that I generally don't visit because I'm not made of money, nor do I wish to pretend I am. Maybe the weird music, underground art and obscure type of events I enjoy aren't to your taste, but I find plenty of things to do. I wouldn't mind more, and realize that there are cities where even more things happen, but that's fine by me--I am comfortable with Sacramento's level of events and find it very difficult to get bored in this town. Again, I blame your bag.

As to the skyline, I don't really care about that any more than an arena. I prefer to see a city from the ground level, not approaching it from a distance, and plenty of Sacramento looks beautiful from the sidewalk, especially if you enjoy late 19th century and early 20th century residential architecture, which I do. We are rapidly losing the last of our late 19th and early 20th century architecture, which we used to have a lot of, which is tragic indeed--if there's a change I could make, it would be for developers to realize that the only "urban lofts" which are actually selling in this market are ones in old buildings. But unfortunately a lot of the buildings that would have been great for those, like the Crystal Creamery and the Bercut-Richards Cannery, have been demolished.

I'd love to see better mass transit. In other cities they get better mass transit by paying for it, while here we seem to think that the less we spend on mass transit, the more of it we should have. So on that point we agree.

So, again, I don't get the argument that Sacramento lacks character at all...largely because for the most part, the things we have discussed are just a small part of what makes up the character of a city.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:26 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
But unfortunately a lot of the buildings that would have been great for those, like the Crystal Creamery and the Bercut-Richards Cannery, have been demolished.

I'd love to see better mass transit. In other cities they get better mass transit by paying for it, while here we seem to think that the less we spend on mass transit, the more of it we should have. So on that point we agree.

So, again, I don't get the argument that Sacramento lacks character at all...largely because for the most part, the things we have discussed are just a small part of what makes up the character of a city.
Well wburg, you happened to hit on a couple of my pet peeves. The rampant demolition of older buildings with character and history really rankles me and it's not just Sacramento where it happens. It's throughout California. The "out with the old, in with the new" mindset is very distressing. I also know it's not just California either but seems somewhat more prevalent there. During the 19 years I was in Sacto I saw many worthy buildings come down or fall into decay.

Ah, yes. The good ol' RT characterized by under-funding, ever increasing fares and disappearing bus routes. I found the light rail very handy and economical while living in the burbs and then downtown. However, it also became increasingly less safe which may account for some of the underutilization. The south line quickly became a real boondoggle fraught with fare jumpers who then brought their gang issues to the K Street Mall and Downtown Plaza which experienced its first-ever shooting two weeks after the line opened. Things were bad enough with the homeless and just made worse. I hope a way is found to clean it up but those areas have needed it for years and there just doesn't seem to be any vision or will to tackle the problems. Now there's no money either.

Neither of the above issues defines Sacramento. They're simply a part of the whole. Sacramento DOES have character. It's just difficult, sometimes, to put your finger on just what it is.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:37 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Of course Sacramento has character; every city does to some extent. However, the character of a city is largely subjective. Some would say that the homeless in Alkali Flats, the aging rail yard that hasn't seriously been used in decades, or the decaying area between Arcade and DPH - for example - are full of character. Others will say that it is the tree-lined streets, numerous parks, and other recreational opportunities that give the place its character. Some might say that it is the general attitude of the population. They would all be correct, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that it is largely based in the opinions and perspectives of the viewer. One man's trash is another man's gold, for instance.

Generally, a cities character is defined by its architecture, landscape, and overall vibe. Detroit is a good example of this. That city still has much of its Art Deco in tact. Combine that with modern buildings, the blocks upon blocks of empty factories that appear to have been part of a war zone, the ultra rich suburbs, and the poverty housing that makes you wonder if you are in a third-world refugee camp. The place still has one of the best underground rock-n-roll scenes in the country, a really good art scene, hole in the wall eateries that should be closed down, really expensive bistros, homeless, thugs, yuppies, hipsters, etc. etc. To me, that is some character!

A lot of Sacramento has been left to rot until a developer takes over. There used to be a good amount of 40s. 50s, 60s, and even 70s style architecture found all over the city, most of it has been torn down. What is left is usually found in homes built in the inner-ring suburbs and core of the city. What has been torn down has been replaced by cookie-cutter design. Everything looks the same. How many more shopping centers, et. al., with the same brick/tan/cream color scheme and red brick tile roofs can the city take? A lot more, I guess, since that is the only design that seems to be built. Same with housing. It all looks the same. In my opinion, that is where the city falls short on character.

Look at the people who move to Sacramento; they are largely, mostly, from out-of-state. Most Californians view Sacramento as desirable as Stockton or Merced, but there are a few LAers who move up, usually because their money will go further. This is why there is Sacto Pride, and why people view Sacramento as a 'hidden jewel'.

I never understood why these new-comers to Sacto, and the state, never incorporated their own style into the city. In some respects, particularly with food, they have. But why not with the architecture?

Yes, there is plenty to do in Sacramento, but keep in mind that not everyone is into underground art or quirky music. It is unfair to say that someone lives in a burlap sack when they don't 'see' the Sacto that you do. Our perspective on the world is formed by our experiences. For you, and possibly me, there could be more then enough going on. That is partially because we know where to look, and partially because of a particular scene and interests. Anyone who is not a part of that, who is into big arena concerts or really high-end shopping for example, may be at a loss and bored to tears.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:37 PM

If you're not into underground art, there are plenty of studios that specialize in wholesome landscapes and still lifes sized to fit your couch, just look at the bigger Second Saturday galleries. If you're into more normal music, it always seems to me that there is plenty of it, and there are arena concerts to be had if that's what you like, sorry if Arco's acoustics aren't to your liking. I admit I don't know much about them, because I don't go to those clubs. As to the super high end shopping, you find super high end shopping in super rich areas, of which Sacramento is not one. Why should there be a lot of shopping options for the sort of people who don't live here? We're predominantly a working/middle class city, and the shopping reflects that. Besides, that means our thrift stores kick ass.

Oh, incidentally: The Sacramento SP Shops were still in use in the 1980s and mid-1990s when Union Pacific took over, and two of the buildings are still in use by the California State Railroad Museum as a storage and restoration facility for their collection.

Quote:
There used to be a good amount of 40s. 50s, 60s, and even 70s style architecture found all over the city, most of it has been torn down.
Um, where? Most of Sacramento's suburbs were farmland until the postwar period, including the incorporated area--exactly what 40s-70s area was demolished that you are lamenting? It's not hard to look around town and spot 1940s-1970s architecture. Retail locations like malls have been upgraded, but that is pretty typical: retail stores tend to like frequent facelifts. As to 40s-70s architecture in general, that era is recent enough that it is, for the most part, not recognized as "classic"--it's not old enough to draw the ire of preservationists, not that there are very many outside the central city anyhow. For the most part, though, the 1950s-70s are considered the nadir of American architectural design--with the exception of a few highlights, like Googie architecture and Mid-Century Modernist homes like Eichlers and Strengs, both of which are starting to get serious attention--the city's first Mid-Century Modern Home Tour takes place this summer!

Like Sacramento, Los Angeles and the Bay Area have busily erupted with beige/taupe subdivisions and strip malls. It's not limited to California, either: I go to Chicago quite a lot, and over the past decade coming in on the train I note more new strip malls and suburbs expanding Chicagoland, often taking the place of older buildings that often had more architectural character.
Quote:
I never understood why these new-comers to Sacto, and the state, never incorporated their own style into the city. In some respects, particularly with food, they have. But why not with the architecture?
What architecture are we missing? Be specific here.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
A few of you have mentioned the demolition of significant historical structures. Since I've only been in Sacramento a few years I'm not familiar with the history of the buildings in the area.

Anyone want to provide some links to show what significant building/structures have been demolished?

Old 02-27-2010, 10:50 PM

I would recommend the Center for Sacramento History's online photo database.

http://sacramento.pastperfect-online...exe?request=ks

Some notable bits:

The Alhambra Theatre
http://sacramento.pastperfect-online.com/30528images/039/2004067029048-2.jpg (broken link)

The Sacramento Hotel
http://sacramento.pastperfect-online.com/30528images/033/1961096019.JPG (broken link)

Bank of Italy/Bank of America
http://sacramento.pastperfect-online.com/30528images/032/1961096002.JPG (broken link)

Old Post Office
http://sacramento.pastperfect-online.com/30528images/009/19700010120.jpg (broken link)

California National Bank
http://sacramento.pastperfect-online.com/30528images/034/19630304.JPG (broken link)

Charles Crocker Home
http://sacramento.pastperfect-online.com/30528images/050/19850243998.jpg (broken link)

Agricultural Pavilion, California State Fair
http://sacramento.pastperfect-online.com/30528images/052/19850244492.jpg (broken link)

K Street
http://sacramento.pastperfect-online.com/30528images/009/19700010100.jpg (broken link)

County Courthouse/California State Capitol Building
http://sacramento.pastperfect-online.com/30528images/009/19700010148.jpg (broken link)

County Courthouse (replaced building above)
http://sacramento.pastperfect-online.com/30528images/009/19700010044.jpg (broken link)

St. Andrew's African Methodist Episcopal
http://sacramento.pastperfect-online.com/30528images/052/19850244288.jpg (broken link)

Central Pacific/Southern Pacific Arcade Depot
http://sacramento.pastperfect-online.com/30528images/002/1999123015.jpg (broken link)

Sacramento Northern/Central California Traction Union Station
http://sacramento.pastperfect-online.com/30528images/051/19850244163.jpg (broken link)

Bell Conservatory
http://sacramento.pastperfect-online.com/30528images/026/19681100060.JPG (broken link)

Now, most of these were torn down for perfectly legitimate reasons, and none of them are of a magnitude that would have ranked Sacramento among the world's great cities, but it does show a bit of the character of what we have lost, and why I tend to prefer that we hold on to what little we have left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento