Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:19 PM

9 posts, read 32,949 times

Advertisements

How many of you are aware of the asbestos concern in El Dorado Hills and, to a lesser degree, in Folsom? We currently live in central Oregon, and are looking to move to the greater Sac area later this year. We were leaning towards a suburb like El Dorado Hills or Folsom, but after reading about the asbestos concerns I'm wondering if we should consider a different area... Hmmm... Its especially a potential concern considering we have young children. What have people heard? How serious are the concerns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 02:11 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Below are a couple of threads where the issue has been critically discussed:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...odo-hills.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...leared-up.html

Old 07-15-2009, 06:14 PM

9 posts, read 48,535 times
We recently backed out of an REO because of what we read. Apparently there was a super clean-up ordered by the EPA in the early 2000's. The house was within 150 yards of that clean-up site and resides on that same serpentine rock. The school was cleaned up, not the neighborhood. We have friends who bought 2.88 miles away from there and their results for asbestos exposure were mild. You have to keep your soil moist and take off your shoes (I'd take off my clothes too) after walking on dirt (kids playing soccer, baseball, football, etc). We've chosen to buy in an area of Granite Bay which actually resides in the city of Roseville (no one including the county can figure out that one) for the same price as we would have spent in El Dorado Hills. The schools are Granite Bay schools which are great and everything else is Roseville (trash, water, electricity, etc.) which is also less expensive. EDH is beautiful and the county is very aware and as responsive of and to the problem. I just don't want to think about it all the time and wonder if I'll be affected in 20 years.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:14 PM

433 posts, read 1,618,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee54 View Post
We recently backed out of an REO because of what we read. Apparently there was a super clean-up ordered by the EPA in the early 2000's. The house was within 150 yards of that clean-up site and resides on that same serpentine rock. The school was cleaned up, not the neighborhood. We have friends who bought 2.88 miles away from there and their results for asbestos exposure were mild. You have to keep your soil moist and take off your shoes (I'd take off my clothes too) after walking on dirt (kids playing soccer, baseball, football, etc). We've chosen to buy in an area of Granite Bay which actually resides in the city of Roseville (no one including the county can figure out that one) for the same price as we would have spent in El Dorado Hills. The schools are Granite Bay schools which are great and everything else is Roseville (trash, water, electricity, etc.) which is also less expensive. EDH is beautiful and the county is very aware and as responsive of and to the problem. I just don't want to think about it all the time and wonder if I'll be affected in 20 years.
The naturally occuring asbestos is blown way out of proportion, just dont eat any dirt and you'll be fine. Can't believe you backed out of house because of it.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:58 PM

415 posts, read 545,427 times
Asbestois is a disease caused by long term chronic exposure to asbestos. Asbestos is inert and never breaks down in your system. Asbestois a cumulative effects disease. The other thing that is poorly understood is what exactly are the effects on children. There bodies are less developed and growing and they may be more suspectible to the disease. Since they are getting the stuff as children they will have asbestos in their bodies for a much longer period.

I like El Dorado Hills, I think its a nice area. But for roughly the same amount of money you can buy an equally nice home in Granite Bay which doesn't have these issues. So why take that risk?

Old 07-16-2009, 05:47 PM

People have been living in the Folsom/ EDH area for a loooooong time and I have yet to see a case of cancer from naturally occuring asbestos in the area. Its silly for someone to pick Granite Bay over the Folsom area because you are worried about a small insignificant amount of naturally occuring asbestos in the dirt. But if your too scared thats ok I guess.

ZOMG! I walked in some dirt, better take all my clothes off or I might catch a disease. Pfffttttt.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:25 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shope View Post
People have been living in the Folsom/ EDH area for a loooooong time and I have yet to see a case of cancer from naturally occuring asbestos in the area. Its silly for someone to pick Granite Bay over the Folsom area because you are worried about a small insignificant amount of naturally occuring asbestos in the dirt. But if your too scared thats ok I guess.

ZOMG! I walked in some dirt, better take all my clothes off or I might catch a disease. Pfffttttt.
Well, in all fairness I'd have to disclose that when we first moved out here, we eliminated looking in that area due to the asbestos problem too. It can become airborne, and once lodged in your lungs it never dissolves.

While some of us many be overly concerned about the potential health issues related to natural asbestos, it is legitimate to feel that the risk isn't worthwhile. A lot of health risk aren't fully understood for extensive periods of time.

http://www.mesolink.org/mesothelioma-news/06-04-08.html

http://www.mesotheliomatreatmentcent...bestos-cancer/

And this article that partially in support of not being concerned about the asbestos, plus acknowledgement of the unknown risks:

The scientists...noted that as long as the asbestos remained intact and did not become airborne, it was safe, but in the process of disturbing the soil, which might occur with earth moving, road building, or drilling activities, the asbestos in the soil can become airborne. Once in the air, asbestos particles or fibers can be inhaled into the lungs, where they lie dormant for decades until lung cancer, asbestosis, or mesothelioma develops.

http://www.asbestos.net/news/asbesto...struction.html

Last edited by NewToCA; 07-16-2009 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 03:56 PM

There are requirements for construction in that area now relating to dust control. Its nothing to worry about. But if people want to live in a plastic bubble feel free.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:40 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,253 times
Not an expert in this arena, but my viewpoint is this: I am concerned for the kids who played sports (namely baseball) daily at Oakridge high school inhaling all of the dust or maybe some of the excavators who moved earth daily in the (not so recent) past.

From what I know, it is a non-issue if you don't breathe in large amounts of dust from the affected areas. That is why you will see the ground being sprayed with water (to eliminate dust in air) when work crews are digging or moving earth. If the asbestos stays in the dirt and out of your lungs then it is only present in trace amounts.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:46 AM

251 posts, read 825,411 times
Any new publications regarding asbestos/radon issue?
EDH was our 1st priority, but we concerned about this issue..... BTW, if we buy house, can we check level of asbestos/radon in this house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento