Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 05:11 PM

325 posts, read 1,473,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I agree that Folsom is chain store oriented but I was also taking into account the daily commute to Placerville. That is a long trip from Midtown, but more reasonable from Folsom.

I viewed Folsom as a compromise.
True, true, but I don't think she'll like it. Folsom's a world away from Midtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 01:24 AM

433 posts, read 2,356,364 times
Folsom has improved of late in the non-chain restaurants, coffee shops and eateries. Lots of small places have opened around my neighborhood in the last year. None of them have names that you have heard of.

The whole of Sacramento is not "big city". We don't have subways to Yankee Stadium or the crowded banks of the Charles River out our windows. We hardly have any weird green-haired people walking the sidewalks either.

Move to NYC, Boston, Seattle or San Francisco.

When you are in your 30's and 40's, then you will appreciate what Sacramento does offer.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:39 AM

325 posts, read 1,473,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
Folsom has improved of late in the non-chain restaurants, coffee shops and eateries. Lots of small places have opened around my neighborhood in the last year. None of them have names that you have heard of.

The whole of Sacramento is not "big city". We don't have subways to Yankee Stadium or the crowded banks of the Charles River out our windows. We hardly have any weird green-haired people walking the sidewalks either.

Move to NYC, Boston, Seattle or San Francisco.

When you are in your 30's and 40's, then you will appreciate what Sacramento does offer.
If you look hard you can most definitely find the independent businesses. But they are dwarfed by the chains and if you're new, and not that psyched to be moving here, you're going to be bowled over by the Chili's, BJ's, Olive Garden (coming soon) and the like.

My favorite new, quick and cheap independent restaurant is GoodFella's and I love the new Euro Gourmet shop. Incredible cheeses and dry meats, etc. The guy who owns it is amazing.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:45 AM

768 posts, read 4,386,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa View Post
Hi,

My boyfriend and are relocating to California in August (Thank God).
He has a job in Placer ville but I am very much a city girl and don't think I can handle living there. I have been living in Shreveport, Louisiana for the past 8 months and I am barely staying sane here. I know I am whining but it really has been hard on me and at first I was so excited to find out we were leaving this hell on earth for beautiful California, but now I am not so sure. My bf is willing to commute as far as necessary for me to be happy, but I don't like the idea of him having to drive far. Part of me wants to be selfish and live as close to Sacramento as possible and let him drive. In the end though I know I wont be able to let deal with a long commute. I really wish the light rail reached further than Folsom. Ok so I guess my question is what would be a good middle ground neighborhood for a young couple in their mid 20's and a young girl who desperately loves the city life and plenty of shopping and dining (Not a bunch of restaurant chains located in retail centers) options. Also would the traffic be terrible considering my BF will be driving east in the mornings and back west at the end of the day? Or is I 50 just bad all the time either way? I appreciate any suggestions or advice. I am pretty anxious about this all. Oh and we will definitely be renting for the 1st year or two. Our price range is 1,000-1,400. Thanks!!

~Melissa
I thought Texas was the greatest thing to you... why are you moving to California and not back to Texass?

Old 02-10-2008, 12:33 AM

87 posts, read 390,726 times
Folsom will be like heaven compared to Louisiana. Some time ago, I moved from Baton Rouge to Folsom and LOVED it!!!!!

It isn't big city, but there is plenty of shopping, nice restaurants, and nice places to live. I really think you will like it there.

Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento