U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 10,042 times

Advertisements

Any insight/info into the Ukranian community in Sacramento/Citrus Heights? Considering dating...any insights? Gals? Men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 01:00 AM

31 posts, read 92,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek01 View Post
Any insight/info into the Ukranian community in Sacramento/Citrus Heights? Considering dating...any insights? Gals? Men?
I'm half Russian and live here. Unlike me, most of the Russians and other Slavic people here are more recent immigrants. Most of the Slavic community is Christian with many Baptists and Pentecostals. They are known for their strong stand in support of traditional marriage. There are perhaps 100,000 to 200,000 Slavic people here, it is one of the largest communities outside of Eastern Europe in the world.

I don't speak Russian, and many of them do not speak English. I'd like to learn it because of our shared heritage. I was learning, but then got so busy I haven't worked on it for awhile. I'd love to speak fluent Russian some day!

If you want to experience some of Sacramento's Russian culture, Yarmarka (it's a big Russian festival) is coming up on May 9th. I went last year and it was awesome!
Check out their website:
Yarmarka - International Food and Music Festival in Sacramento

Old 04-13-2009, 03:38 PM

79 posts, read 198,613 times
The Russian Ukrainian community in Sacramento is a minorty of minority. The orgins of the local community go back to before the end of the cold war when there was religious broadcasting via shortwave radio into the former Soviet Union from out of Bryte in West Sac. The early immigrants came to the US as religious freedom refugees who claimed persecution in the former Soviet Union. When the cold war ended, a lot of people sponsored family members to join them here.

Nationwide, the Russian and Ukrainian communities are not as religious as the immgrants from those areas to the Sacramento region.

In the Sacramento region, you are seeing a fair amount of Church shopping by the local Russian community. If you were interested in dating a Russian, I would look at attending one of the Churches they frequent. Arcade Baptist has a pretty sizable Russian community - you could try there. But I suspect if you aren't real religious yourself you might have some problems being accepted in the community.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:54 AM

12,929 posts, read 19,470,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPatriot View Post
There are perhaps 100,000 to 200,000 Slavic people here, it is one of the largest communities outside of Eastern Europe in the world.
Has it surpassed places like Chicago, etc.?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:56 PM

8,061 posts, read 10,578,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPatriot View Post
Most of the Slavic community is Christian with many Baptists and Pentecostals. They are known for their strong stand in support of traditional marriage. There are perhaps 100,000 to 200,000 Slavic people here, it is one of the largest communities outside of Eastern Europe in the world.
Aren't these communities known for their virulent homophobic attitudes and even (literal) gay-bashing?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:00 AM

886 posts, read 1,798,294 times
I don't know about having "homophobic" attitudes. I think that word is an often-used misnomer. A phobia is a fear, as in fear of heights, fear of insects, etc. Religious persons who have a strong aversion to homosexuals don't fear them, although the might fear their growing presence in a community or something like that. They just don't like them, and maybe even hate them because of their sexual orientation. If you disliked neo-nazis, and what they do and what they stand for, no one would say you are "naziphobic", would they? IMO, the homophobic tag is still widely used because it ascribes a psychological malady to those who dislike homosexuals, and therefore marginalizes them.

Sorry that I sort of hijacked the thread, but I thought it was appropriate to make that clarification.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:16 AM

7,520 posts, read 8,313,234 times
You're right..."fear" isn't the right word, maybe a better one would be "intolerance, although you also mention "hate." And in some cases, that intolerance has cost people their lives:

www.satendar.com - Satendar Singh - victim of hate crime, July 1, 2007, Sacramento, California (http://www.outsacramento.com/Satendar_Singh.htm - broken link)

Moscow Through Brown Eyes: The Satender Singh Case

Disliking Nazis isn't quite the same--there is a difference between not liking what a person says or does and not liking what people are.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:23 PM

8,061 posts, read 10,578,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I don't know about having "homophobic" attitudes. I think that word is an often-used misnomer. A phobia is a fear, as in fear of heights, fear of insects, etc. Religious persons who have a strong aversion to homosexuals don't fear them, although the might fear their growing presence in a community or something like that. They just don't like them, and maybe even hate them because of their sexual orientation.

Sorry that I sort of hijacked the thread, but I thought it was appropriate to make that clarification.
Despite the fact that homophobia is not a "phobia" as you point out, the fact remains that in the English language, this is the word we use to define a certain attitude. Arguing the etymology of the word is like arguing that "Sept"ember is not the 7th month or that a pineapple is related to neither pines nor apples. Maybe so, but that's the word and it has a particular definition.

Some use the term "heterosexism" since homophobia is in fact more of an "ism" like racism, sexism, anti-Semitism, etc...but the word "homophobia" has a certain well-known meaning, it's too late to change it now, and those who want to go off on tangents arguing about the false etymology instead of addressing the issue aren't accomplishing anything, any more than arguing about the word "pineapple" would do.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:34 PM

109 posts, read 233,832 times
I invoke Godwin's Law, declare anyone who mentions nazis the loser in this debate and ask that this thread get shut down for needless trolling.

Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-05-2009, 04:40 PM

7,520 posts, read 8,313,234 times
While this is not the most egregious violation of Godwin's Law I have seen, I must agree that I can't see this thread ending well, and support Phil Minor's suggestion that it be shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento