U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:50 AM

9 posts, read 50,078 times
Default Best Place to live in grass valley?

Hi, I am a mommy to 6 children and would like to know the safest and nicest places to live in grass valley? And the places to stay away from if necessary? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:40 AM

7,334 posts, read 7,906,926 times
Grass Valley isn't really big enough to have good parts and bad parts...it's pretty much just a nice little foothill town.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:45 AM

If anyone could help me and describe the nice and not so nice parts of Grass Valley I would greatly appreciate it. I do remember a lady telling me to stay away from a certain subdivision but I can't remember what it was called now. And she told me some of the subvisions have too many rules.

I am sure it's a nice town overall, but all places have nice and even nicer parts to them. Or you could say the pros and cons to living in a certain area in Grass Valley. I just want to break it down, is their only 1 zip code or a few? I would like to know all the subdivisons and the pros and cons maybe that's a better way to put it. You know, maybe some subdivisions are strict or on a busier road, or get more snowed in if and when that happens. Or maybe some areas are closer to certain stores or roads that are more private. I would like know the areas of the steepest hills and roads vs the more flat and not so steep roads.

Thanks again for any help...

Old 05-05-2009, 11:53 AM

7,334 posts, read 7,906,926 times
Grass Valley is 4 square miles...does it even have subdivisions?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:19 AM

244 posts, read 382,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeMama View Post
If anyone could help me and describe the nice and not so nice parts of Grass Valley I would greatly appreciate it. I do remember a lady telling me to stay away from a certain subdivision but I can't remember what it was called now. And she told me some of the subvisions have too many rules.

I am sure it's a nice town overall, but all places have nice and even nicer parts to them. Or you could say the pros and cons to living in a certain area in Grass Valley. I just want to break it down, is their only 1 zip code or a few? I would like to know all the subdivisons and the pros and cons maybe that's a better way to put it. You know, maybe some subdivisions are strict or on a busier road, or get more snowed in if and when that happens. Or maybe some areas are closer to certain stores or roads that are more private. I would like know the areas of the steepest hills and roads vs the more flat and not so steep roads.

Thanks again for any help...
Why not visit Grass Valley yourself and then decide. It has already been said the town is very small.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:31 PM

If anyone on here has lived or lives now in Grass Valley or near could be so kind to share any of your experiences about the community that would be great. I am so glad their is this forum to learn about places before deciding to spend money on traveling to see it. If I feel it's a good fit then I will go to visit, but first I would love to hear from families and others how they like it or don't like it, the pros and cons. I have also been wondering about the Hwy 49 and how some are saying using the Colfax Hwy 174 would be safer? And wondering if living along the hwy 80 would be a better choice?
Again any help would be greatly appreciated...

Old 05-06-2009, 02:06 PM

96 posts, read 315,206 times
First answer these questions, where do you currently live now, what do you or your spouse do for work, do you homeschool your kids or do they all go to school, and what is making you consider Grass Valley of all places?
Then I'll be able to address your questions in a more succinct manner.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:05 PM

OK.

I was born and raised in southern california, but have lived in Colorado the past 4 years with my husband and children. I must say I think the snow and cold temps are too cold and very windy. Right now we are living on 40 acres and we are 25 min. away from a Wal-Mart and some stores, then we go another 30 min to go shopping in Colorado Springs. My children and I love the country and my husband doesn't mind since he is not commuting. Fast internet connection is important for home buisness and for the kids while on their computers. And a good UPS service is a need.

I really would like to come back to California but don't want to spend lots in the southern part just yet, and would like to be out of the earthquake zones. So that is why I am thinking of Northern California because of the lower prices and seems you can find safe smaller towns without breaking the bank.

I stay home with our children and homeschool. My husband will not need to commute for work.
I am into organic foods and would love to grow some of our own and participate in the Farmers Markets. After looking on the maps and reading about different northern places I was drawn to the following...Roseville, Lincoln, Colfax, Chicago Park and all the way up to Grass Valley. I have heard from these forums Grass Valley, Alta, and Colfax have great homeschool communities. Lincoln looks nice because there would be no snow, but people say Gass Valley doesn't get much anyway.
I even called a Charter homeschool up there in Grass Valley and she said their are lots of things for the kids to do. This sounds good so far...but I still want others take on it.
My family; parents, sisters, cousins, etc. are all in southern california so driving to visit or staying down with the kids for a weekend would be better than living in Colorado.

Well there you have it...thanks!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:54 PM

96 posts, read 315,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeMama View Post
OK.

I was born and raised in southern california, but have lived in Colorado the past 4 years with my husband and children. I must say I think the snow and cold temps are too cold and very windy. Right now we are living on 40 acres and we are 25 min. away from a Wal-Mart and some stores, then we go another 30 min to go shopping in Colorado Springs. My children and I love the country and my husband doesn't mind since he is not commuting. Fast internet connection is important for home buisness and for the kids while on their computers. And a good UPS service is a need.

I really would like to come back to California but don't want to spend lots in the southern part just yet, and would like to be out of the earthquake zones. So that is why I am thinking of Northern California because of the lower prices and seems you can find safe smaller towns without breaking the bank.

I stay home with our children and homeschool. My husband will not need to commute for work.
I am into organic foods and would love to grow some of our own and participate in the Farmers Markets. After looking on the maps and reading about different northern places I was drawn to the following...Roseville, Lincoln, Colfax, Chicago Park and all the way up to Grass Valley. I have heard from these forums Grass Valley, Alta, and Colfax have great homeschool communities. Lincoln looks nice because there would be no snow, but people say Gass Valley doesn't get much anyway.
I even called a Charter homeschool up there in Grass Valley and she said their are lots of things for the kids to do. This sounds good so far...but I still want others take on it.
My family; parents, sisters, cousins, etc. are all in southern california so driving to visit or staying down with the kids for a weekend would be better than living in Colorado.

Well there you have it...thanks!
We home school our daughter through VIE and we couldn't be happier with our decision to pull her out of regular school...considering they're failing our children in every possible way...IMO. I can't personally comment on the homeschooling groups in the foothills but I'm sure they're good. Of course, how good they are greatly depends on how good the parents of these children are. And that's where you run into the problem of living in the sticks.
Rural life attracts a certain type of person. Maybe some who don't value education, some who don't value following the law, some who value growing pot or brewing meth. But rural life also attracts people who are smart, upstanding, educated individuals who are just sick of city life. It's a mixed bag around here...the Sacto area really is a melting pot of cultures and ideologies.
In my experience, the residents of the Grass Valley/ Nevada City area are mostly friendly and professional. There's always exceptions to the rule, of course.
I think with the number of kids you have you would be wise to not move too far out into the sticks. Places like Alta are way out there and you would be travelling more than the 30 minutes you already travel for shopping.
Chicago park is also a very small town that would require extensive travel for just the barest essentials.
As for the subdivision you were wondering about. The only thing I can think of is an area that is just west of Hwy 49 and west of Hughes Street. The main street going through the subdivision is Cypress Hill Dr. There's also area's just west of GV called Alta Hill, The Oaks, and Sunset Hill. Don't know if any of those sound familiar. There is also a nice gated community on Hwy 174 just before you get into GV ( Cedar Ridge I think?)
The majority of homes in GV are west of Hwy 49 and north of Hwy 20.

The biggest problem I have with GV/Nevada City is the horrendous smog that these areas get in the summer. They are basically on the rim of the bathtub that is the Sacramento Valley. Often times, the smog in GV is worse than the smog in Sacto, simply because smog and smoke rise and the mountains east of GV prevent the smog from going anywhere. If you have asthma or if your kids do GV might not be the place for you.

If you still want to live in a rural setting when you move here then Roseville, Rocklin, and Lincoln are not where you want to be.
You might want to look at Auburn or Placerville and their outlying area's. They're both big as foothill towns go but this is where you'll find the most land to live on and the best shopping options in the foothills.

Hope this info helps.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:49 PM

Wow, thank you so much! This is very helpful info! I wish, I was homeschooled, seriously I would have done so much better! But that's ok because now I am learning things I never knew right along with my children and it has blessed us all so much. We homeschool for our spritiual convictions and for high academic standards, but this can look different with every homeschooling family. For us part of acheiving the high academic standards are to teach our children to love learning and that it's a lifelong process. We use a positive relaxed approach not overly strict or too permissive, but just the right relaxed approach that is kind and firm all in LOVE... Well I should stop and move on to the main topic

Ok, good info...
the majority of homes in GV are above their main shopping town.
Alta Sierra, Chicago Park, would be far to drive for basics like around 30 min.
smog not good of course...

I will check out Auburn and Placerville and their outlying area's.

And last but not least what do you think, should I be open to Roseville and Lincoln, and give up the rural setting? May I ask what county you are in and if you like it and if not where would you move your family?

Thanks again for all the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento