Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:27 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,585,045 times

Advertisements

Looking west on Walker Street.

Looking west on Mill Street.

A very typical home in town.

Orland is known for its wide neighborhood streets.

Six churches are visible from this intersection at Walker and A Streets. Orlanders
used to brag that their city had more churches and taverns per capita than any
city in America. (I don't know how true that is ...)

Another humble home in one of Orland's charming neighborhoods.

A front-yard shrine to Our Lady of Guadalupe just a little southeast of town.

Many homes in the Orland area display expressions of a devout Christian faith.

Orland's neighborhood alleys show some age but are usually clean.

Looking north from the corner of 5th and Colusa Streets.

Orland's Carnegie Center in Library Park. The City Council meets here.

The Orland Library through Orland's historic arch.

Statues of Catholic saints through the window of a downtown shop.

Downtown Orland - looking south on 4th Street across Walker.

The Kountry Kitchen has been Orland's main gathering spot for many years.

One of my favorite houses in Orland, one block from St. Dominic's.

For reference:

Orland's City-Data page

Orland's Wikipedia page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:55 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,884,131 times
I liked the pictures. Thank you for posting them.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:56 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,297,864 times
Orland, excellent town.

Bit of trivia ... there was a nasty twister that came through there (I think it may have been an F3, at least an F2) some years ago.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:43 PM

Thank you for the comments, gentlemen. If I remember correctly, that tornado passed just outside of the city rather than through it.
Tornadoes are rare but they do happen. Here's a photo of Orland's new gazebo in Library Park, just completed last year.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 PM

Also - the city is celebrating 100 years of incorporation this year. There are lots of festivities planned, so if you have a connection to Orland you might want to check the centennial website regularly.

Other good things are happening in Orland:

1. The historic Booth Hotel on 5th and Walker is finally being restored. The project looks great so far.

2. The Sapphire Plaza shopping center is nearing completion.

3. The Hwy 32 entrance to Orland is being landscaped beautifully. A new sign reads "Welcome to Orland: Proud History, Bright Future".

Old 05-28-2009, 02:01 PM

4,526 posts, read 12,345,556 times
A nice trip through a city I've only stopped in to get gas. It looks like a set from Back to the Future. Too bad the Central Valley is so freakishly, unhumanly hot in the summer. How places like this survived in the days before A/C I never could fathom.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
A nice trip through a city I've only stopped in to get gas. It looks like a set from Back to the Future. Too bad the Central Valley is so freakishly, unhumanly hot in the summer. How places like this survived in the days before A/C I never could fathom.
Well, yes, it does get hot in the summer. Last year I lost around 20 chickens due to the heat. But the other three seasons are very pleasant.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 8,561 times
It was so great to see this pictures, Orland is my hometown, It´s been about 16 months since my last visit, I moved to Morelia (mexico, I have a great job down here). I have great memories from my childhood, it was nice growing up in a small town.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:49 AM

Here's the recently restored Booth Hotel.

http://www.coldwellbankerchico.com/RealEstate/mls/image.asp?mls_name=SNV MLS&pid=909390-1&width=550 (broken link)

Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 PM

This beautiful restored bar dates before 1916 and is found at the Farwood Bar & Grill on Walker and Fifth streets. Here's the story:

"The history of the beautifully carved oak bar in Farwood is well known to area residents. It was made in England, shipped around Cape Horn at the south end of South America, and functioned as a bar in San Francisco for an unknown number of years. In 1916, it was barged up the Sacramento River to be installed in the Richelieu and has remained there ever since.

In 2005, when Bob & Jan Walker purchased the building, the business, which did not remain a gentlemen's bar, was closed. Their decision to purchase the property was based primarily on the existence of the bar. At that time, it was coal black (from over a hundred years of cigarette smoke), and was in need of repair. When renovations began on the building, the bar was taken apart as much as possible and transferred to a shop on the Walkers' farm. It spent the winter there being stripped and sanded, and then lovingly repaired by a local wood craftsman, Bob Nordbye. He also extended the front bar portion and crafted a handicapped bar to exactly match the beautiful bowed front of the original. He made molds of the cherubs' heads to repair the one cherub who had been decapitated, and it is sometimes a matter of discussion to see if former Richelieu patrons can remember which cherub it was that needed repair. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento