Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,820 times

Advertisements

Arizona/New Mexico native just moved to Sacramento and can NOT find green chili anywhere!!! If any of you know of Hatch's Green Chili or Baca frozen green chili. PLEASE HELP!!!! Where can I find frozen green chili in Sacramento. I have looked at every grocery store I can think of..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
wow, I know what you mean..Last summer was our first one away from the Hatch chili country. To my total shock, one week and only 1 week our small local grocery store carried them. When hubby and I bought 20 lbs no one could understand what we were doing. You can imagine, chili in NWA?

Until then the only place I could find was on the net. You can check, it is very pricey but better than nothing. I don't have any clue, where in Ca you will find them, fresh, in salsa or any other way.

Nita

Old 06-22-2009, 10:52 PM

6 posts, read 28,494 times
Dude! you are too early!! Wait til the fall. Last year, Raley's had actual Hatch green chile for a couple of weeks. I bought about 5 paper bags worth (got lots of interesting stares... didn't care!!).

Otherwise, like NMNita said, you can order frozen green or red chile powder online (green chile, BIG JIM Chile, Hatch Chile, posole, frozen Chile, chili 2008) among others... but damn expensive. Otherwise, you can sometimes find Bueno frozen green in the freezer at some markets, or 505 chopped green (like salsa in a jar, but just green).
Also, the UNM alumni assoc for NorCal has occasional get togethers, and they tend to get a giant order for green chile that you can order from. Look them up.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLobos View Post
Dude! you are too early!! Wait til the fall. Last year, Raley's had actual Hatch green chile for a couple of weeks. I bought about 5 paper bags worth (got lots of interesting stares... didn't care!!).

Otherwise, like NMNita said, you can order frozen green or red chile powder online (green chile, BIG JIM Chile, Hatch Chile, posole, frozen Chile, chili 2008) among others... but damn expensive. Otherwise, you can sometimes find Bueno frozen green in the freezer at some markets, or 505 chopped green (like salsa in a jar, but just green).
Also, the UNM alumni assoc for NorCal has occasional get togethers, and they tend to get a giant order for green chile that you can order from. Look them up.
Yep, right you are; normally it is August to early Oct when you will see then. It was funny when I bought ours last year. No one in the store had any idea what I would do with them, I explained to the checker, 2 guys in the produce dept and the box person. I think they thought I was nuts....In fact when I first went in the store, I couldn't find them so I asked the produce guy. He showed me where they were, they were sorta with the green bells and a few other peppers, in a small box. Of course I was looking for the huge bags like we got in NM> When we told him we wanted about 20 lbs I think he thought we were nuts..Only problem, they were way too mild for us.

Nita

Old 08-27-2009, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 6,639 times
I use to live in Hillsboro, NM and also miss the Hatch green chilis. Do you guys think they would grow here in the Sacramento area? I live in Weimar, Ca. I work on a farm here and would love to try to grow them.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram799 View Post
I use to live in Hillsboro, NM and also miss the Hatch green chilis. Do you guys think they would grow here in the Sacramento area? I live in Weimar, Ca. I work on a farm here and would love to try to grow them.
I just deleted my last message cause I had already answered it earlier this year..As for growing in Sac, I certainly would think they should grow just fine.

Nita

Old 08-23-2012, 05:16 PM

6 posts, read 17,057 times
Greetings from new Mexico! Just wondering how much are people are paying for a pound of fresh raw hatch new mexico green chile in California ?

Old 08-23-2012, 05:39 PM

210 posts, read 269,326 times
I'm pretty sure you can get them at Denio's Farmers Market in Roseville. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2012, 05:53 PM

fresh raw hatch new mexico green chile

Old 08-23-2012, 05:55 PM

If you know chile and how it is supposed to taste raw and roasted than you know what i mean by FRESH GREEN CHILE FROM HATCH NEW MEXICO.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento