Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:25 AM

599 posts, read 1,646,859 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have to say that I agree with all of your points. I thin Matt is right about cost of living and commuting and I agree that Davis is much more open minded and diverse in a sense. They still haven't picked a place but I think it will be Davis.

I never thought Placerville as a tourist trap but I definately can see how you would think that. I personally like how the davis community cares so much about the town and doesn't want to bring big business in. I do believe it ruins a place in the long run. I love how parents are so involved with their children. We are moving to Davis in the near future as my child got into the parent nursery school and I like the school district down there. It is pretty safe as well.

I must say that I also really like placerville. I don't like surburbs very much. Peace to you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,365,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Dry Diggings?

Don't get it.
Read up on the history of the Gold Rush and the contribution of Placerville to the development of California.

In terms of choosing Placerville vs Davis or visa versa, my best advice is to for your friends to ignore the anecdotal negative experiences described on some of these posts. They should research the factual data through chamber of commerce, government census, weather statistics, etc. Then visit each city, observe and listen, then form their own conclusions. To reiterate what NewtoCA said, Placerville and Davis are very different, and with some objective research and reflection on quality of life, the choice will soon become obvious.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:28 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,410,741 times
Quote:
Dry Diggings?

Don't get it.
Here you go... just another part of California History...

"Prior to the discovery of gold in nearby Coloma, California by James W. Marshall in 1848 sparking the California Gold Rush, the small town now known as Placerville was known as Dry Diggin's after the manner in which the miners moved cartloads of dry soil to running water to separate the gold from the soil. Later in 1849, the town earned its most common historical name, "Hangtown" , due to the numerous hangings that had taken place there.

By 1850, the temperance league and a few local churches had begun to request that a more friendly name be bestowed upon the town. The name was not changed until 1854 when the City of Placerville was incorporated. At its incorporation Placerville was the third largest town in California. In 1857 the county seat was then moved from Coloma to Placerville, where it remains today"

Source Wikipedia...

Old 06-28-2009, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the background. They love Placerville but the school reviews aren't like Davis. Does anyone's children here on this forum go to Placerville or Davis schools? Please tell me which schools and what you like/dislike about them?

Thank you!!!!!!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 08:33 AM

607 posts, read 2,357,631 times
Where are their jobs? Two distinctly different feels for towns...Do you want the hustle and bustle of a college town? Very Liberal feel to Davis. If they were to choose Placerville, they still would have easy access to all the entertainment that the cities would offer, food, sports, museums, etc... How do they like weather? Davis is sun and rain only. Placerville would offer them 4 seasons with a little snow thrown in. No fog! Schools are important, but how involved as parents are they for their kids??? Parents can make or break education for kids regardless of how good or bad a school district appears to be. I would suggest they spend some time in each location before buying. Just my 2 cents!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:58 PM

He works in Folsom and she is a stay at home mom. I think that they got spooked when they saw what others said about schools up there....Anyways, they are moving to Placerville. I am happy. Actually, we are moving there as well and I couldn't be happier! I think the people are super friendly and still have that down to earth feeling. Now, they are looking at the montessori up there. I don't really know the private schools vs. the public up there. I know greatschools.net has a good site. Thanks again!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:40 PM

534 posts, read 1,525,756 times
Don't judge Placerville by one blowhard academic....every community has their prejudiced people. Yes, Davis is MUCH more liberal and better suited for a gay family, I agree. Yes, El Dorado County is majority conservative Republican (although some of us are trying to change that Most folks I know in Placerville and the surrounding area are nice people. But to "avoid Placerville!" ???? It is all dependent upon what the OP is looking for...I value diversity, and have lived and worked in diverse areas in SoCal, but I also value neighborliness, outdoor recreation, scenic places, being able to go somewhere and there is no one else around, and EDUCATION...my child has attended blue ribbon schools here. I would welcome a family of color next door to me, or a gay family, with no problem, and so would the people I know.

I am disappointed you would say that Brikag, as you have been in a position to be pre-judged, that you would pre-judge a community based on one interaction or based on interactions with people from a certain segment of the community (mental health people???) and then tell people to "avoid" the place. I'm sorry you had a bad experience; yes, there are some rednecks here, but most folks that I know are very kind and open to others.

Moving on, in the Placerville area, Motherlode Union School District (Indian Creek and Charles Brown elementaries, Herbert Green Middle School) are excellent. They feed into Union Mine HS and El Dorado HS. Further west, in Shingle Springs/Cameron Park area, is the Buckeye District, excellent, with Buckeye and Blue Oak Elementaries, Camerado Springs Middle, and Ponderosa HS).

Davis is a lovely place too. But both places are VERY different from each other. Personally, the Davis vibe has never done anything for me. And I can't stand flat land and flood-prone areas. But to each her/his own. The OP needs to actually visit both places. They'll know which one is the right one.

Mossy - "Dry Diggins" refers to the gold rush era, it would be an area where they were mining for gold but there was no stream there. They'd have to divert a stream by creating a flume or canal so that they could pan or dredge to find "color". That's why many foothill communities have flumes and canals...they are leftovers...

Last edited by justducky2; 07-07-2009 at 10:49 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 PM

266 posts, read 998,528 times
Quote:
We have friends moving out and it has been tough for them to decide where to live. They are picking btw. Davis and Placerville. They asked me for an opinion but I am not offering one cause...well, cause of many reasons.

I wanted to get a 3rd opinion.

They like the country feel of Placerville and cost of living compared with Davis but the school are better in Davis but housing is thru the roof. I didn't think the schools were that bad in Placerville. They said Davis had this feeling of being uppity.

Just wanted to hear what you had to say....I told them I would get another opinion.

TIA!
Placerville for sure! IT is a much nicer place. Better weather and not as hot. Folks are friendly and cost of living is lower.
My personal favorite thing is that Lake Tahoe is much closer.
Sking is just up the hill and the scenery is more beautiful.

Davis is so darn flat. There is no there there to use an old cliche.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:06 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,365,071 times
Quote:
He works in Folsom and she is a stay at home mom. I think that they got spooked when they saw what others said about schools up there....Anyways, they are moving to Placerville. I am happy. Actually, we are moving there as well and I couldn't be happier! I think the people are super friendly and still have that down to earth feeling. Now, they are looking at the montessori up there. I don't really know the private schools vs. the public up there. I know greatschools.net has a good site. Thanks again!
Wow! Both your friends and your family are moving to my neck of the woods. Welcome. Now you will be referred to as the people "up there".

Old 07-08-2009, 06:07 PM

Hey Den and Ducky!

I agree with you and feel this is the right decision for them. Now, they will have to look at schools. I would like our daughter to get involved with the 4H club.

Can you go to any school in the district if they have space or do you have to live within the boundaries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento