Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 12:37 PM

31 posts, read 156,830 times

Advertisements

Hey fellow City-Data denizens,

I'm trying to buy a house in Roseville. I want to spend about $200,000. The houses I'm looking at are pretty normal middle class/lower middle class sorts of houses.

The problem is I feel as if I am spinning my wheels. I made an offer on a short sale a month ago and although the sellers have accepted the bank has yet to make a decision. My offer was for full price and is probably right about what the house is worth. I made an offer on another house a couple weeks ago and they were supposed to say yes or no by Monday (as in the Monday of four days ago), but still no response. I want the short sale from a month ago most.

I have great credit, am preapproved, don't have any contingencies and my realtor is very experienced and seems to know what he's doing.

This is like going into a store, picking up an item to buy, going to the cash register with my money and have them tell me, we can't help you now, but if you wait maybe we will or then again maybe we won't. Anybody have any advice? I know chill is good advice, but I mean advice that will help me get a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 12:47 PM

261 posts, read 1,350,834 times
I experienced the same. Had my eyes and even heart set on a short sale. Never happened. We waited a long time. Because of the wait, it took us seven months to buy a house in Roseville. My suggestion, stay far away from short sales. If you're feeling frustrated over it, it probably won't get any better. Those were the most stressful 7 months of my life. The banks don't have much of a desire to do short sales, and they can wait a long time. So you should consider the foreclosures. There's a lot popping up in your price range in Roseville. I wish I had a good experience. I don't know anyone who had a smooth short sale experience. But I do have friends who have their lives on the line with banks waiting to approve the short sales. They're not happy either.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:53 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,261,634 times
People think it's easy to buy a house in this market...

...until they actually try to. Seriously stay clear of short sells and be ready to pay at least 20% more than the asking price if not double in some cases of distressed property. Properties are being listed for cheap and bidded up for way more than the asking prices in most cases. If your agent is sending you MLS listings be VERY suspicious of the prices the houses are listed for. I can't even remember one time I seen a house sell for the list price.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPatriot View Post
I know chill is good advice, but I mean advice that will help me get a house.
Chill is the best advice. If you don't want to wait, pull your offers on any short sale property, and go looking for one that is already foreclosed. Depending on the lender (and God help you if it's countrywide or BofA) you might wait for weeks.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:33 PM

261 posts, read 1,350,834 times
What are you looking for in Roseville (bed, bath, land), and where do you want to live? Check Metrolist a few times a day, and as soon as a good one comes up, make an appt to see it immediately. Go for foreclosures, you'll be done sooner. But you have to act fast because they can come and go in one day.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:21 PM

142 posts, read 471,289 times
Look for the bank pre-approved short sales, much shorter waiting period.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:54 AM

433 posts, read 1,619,097 times
If you are going to do the short sale thing just keep making offers on houses you like until one of em sticks. I have had over 5 offers floating out there at one time. Once one of em takes that you like, pull all your other offers.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shope View Post
If you are going to do the short sale thing just keep making offers on houses you like until one of em sticks. I have had over 5 offers floating out there at one time. Once one of em takes that you like, pull all your other offers.
Yes, that is what I am doing. I have three offers out right now, two on short sales. I wouldn't hesitate to make another one if I liked the house.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballer View Post
What are you looking for in Roseville (bed, bath, land), and where do you want to live? Check Metrolist a few times a day, and as soon as a good one comes up, make an appt to see it immediately. Go for foreclosures, you'll be done sooner. But you have to act fast because they can come and go in one day.
Pretty much anywhere in Roseville except the area that borders Citrus Heights (people have told me it's not a good area there). I want a normal middle class 3 bedroom (or ideally 4) 2 bath, 2 car garage house. The lot doesn't need to be too big, but I want a yard and not just a patio. I tend to not like two stories. Most of the houses I'm liking were built in the 60's, 70's or 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento