Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:15 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,543,155 times

Advertisements

How miserable is it? This is my wife's biggest concern about the area. Figured I'd ask about it when it's fresh in everybody's mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 8,498 times
I haven't felt it at all. We run the a/c throughout the day and have basically stayed inside, work/school during the week and movies and mall on the weekend. We did have plans to go to the Renaissance fair last weekend but decided to cancel because of the heat. If you two are the outdoorsy type, you probably won't like it.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTrancommodity View Post
I haven't felt it at all. We run the a/c throughout the day and have basically stayed inside, work/school during the week and movies and mall on the weekend. We did have plans to go to the Renaissance fair last weekend but decided to cancel because of the heat. If you two are the outdoorsy type, you probably won't like it.
I agree. The last time I checked the temperature yesterday was at about 5:00 p.m. It was 106.5 degrees. On days like that if you have to be out you stay on the shady side of the street, if there is one. Right now it's almost 85 and projected to end up around 103. Decidedly times you want to stay indoors with the A/C on!

The good news is that these really hot spells usually only keep us at 100+ for a week or two at a time. The rest of the summer is in the 80s and 90s -- the latter being pretty uncomfortable but you kinda get used to it.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:34 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Went bike riding in the morning, then did some yard work, then went to a backyard barbecue. It was a little warm.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:45 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,120 times
I was out in the heat all day with my shirt off saturday and sunday (was at the river).

Didn't feel a thing.

Pansies.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:03 PM

133 posts, read 584,308 times
Pretty miserable, but not unbearable. Worst time of day is from 2-5 pm, but before and after are not bad. Good thing about heat in this area is that by 8 p.m., it's usually down into the 80's, and by 10 p.m., it's a beautiful 75-77 degrees with a nice breeze, and doesn't affect your sleep. We live in Vegas, where it's 108 during the day...and at 10 pm, it's often still in the high 90's. Now THAT is unbearable (we can't wait to move up to Roseville from Vegas!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
How miserable is it? This is my wife's biggest concern about the area. Figured I'd ask about it when it's fresh in everybody's mind.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Went to the gym this morning, and the poor air quality certainly is evident. Tough time hitting the weights today.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:38 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,543,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh511 View Post
Pretty miserable, but not unbearable. Worst time of day is from 2-5 pm, but before and after are not bad. Good thing about heat in this area is that by 8 p.m., it's usually down into the 80's, and by 10 p.m., it's a beautiful 75-77 degrees with a nice breeze, and doesn't affect your sleep. We live in Vegas, where it's 108 during the day...and at 10 pm, it's often still in the high 90's. Now THAT is unbearable (we can't wait to move up to Roseville from Vegas!).
This is what I'm banking on, and what I keep explaining to my wife - that it tends to cool down in the evenings/nights more than you'd think. I've heard this from a number of Sac area residents.

It's been much different out here in June - beautiful warm mornings and early afternoons that lead to cloudy/thunderstorm-filled late afternoons and evenings. It's great for cooling things down in the evenings, but I still long for sunny/dry evenings where you can enjoy the outdoors. Dinners and drinks on outdoor patios have been very hit and miss out here this year.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:54 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
This year has been very unusual, weather-wise: having seen about 35 Sacramento summers, I have never seen one with this much rain. Normally even one freak rainstorm between late May and mid-October is unusual.

The Delta breeze usually cools things off. Occasionally there will be high pressure zones that shut it off, that is what happened this weekend. A few years ago we had what was called a "heat storm" that killed a dozen or so people who were living in un-air-conditioned buildings. That's unusual, but less unusual than the amount of rain we got this month.

But normally there are, at most, a couple weeks of 100+ degree temperatures. Typically highs get into the nineties and then things get downright beautiful at night. When I was at the barbecue last night it was pretty warm when we arrived, but around 9:00 I felt the first stirrings of the breeze and by ten it was quite comfy. Very nice.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:52 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,224 times
In general in the evening when its below about 95, generally its reasonably nice by 7pm.

But when its getting really hot like today, the high pressure system is strong enough that it prevents cool air from coming in from the bay. In this case the further you are from the bay, the warmer you are. Especially at night.

Consider three cities in the region. Fairfield, Sacramento and Granite Bay. Today its supposed to peak at 100 in Fairfield, at 103 in Sacramento and 108 in Granite Bay. But also look at how long it takes to cool down.

At 8pm in Fairfield it will be 88, in Sac 97 and 99 in Granite Bay. At 11pm it will be 70 in Fairfield, 77 in Sacramento and 83 in Granite Bay. The overnight low will be 61 in Fairfield, 64 in Sac and 71 in Granite Bay.

Hourly Weather Forecast for 38.24N 122.04W (Elev. 3 ft)

Hourly Weather Forecast for 38.58N 121.49W (Elev. 16 ft)

Hourly Weather Forecast for 38.76N 121.16W (Elev. 397 ft)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento