Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,428 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how the air quality in the east suburbs of Sacramento is?
(Rocklin, Roseville, Granite Bay, Folsom, El Dorado).

How about allergies in these areas?

Last edited by Baykings; 04-28-2007 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: clarify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 11:15 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
Once you get into the foothills it gets better. Living in the downtown area though is like smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. It's worse when it gets over 100 degrees. The combination heat and smog is miserable. The local TV and radio channels run smog alert days so you know when to stay indoors when possible.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:24 PM

325 posts, read 1,472,867 times
The foothills can often be worse than down in the valley, since that's where most of the smog is created. When the wind's calm, it sits down there, but when the breeze picks up, the Delta breeze brings it up to the foothills. When the wind picks up, places like Jackson and Sloughhouse actually have the highest ozone concentrations because the mountains keep the smog from moving further east. The foothills also often have nightime readings of higher levels of ozone because ozone is depleted at night by fresh emissions from cars and the foothills don't have as much fresh NOx emissions at night.

Seems confusing, I know, and seems to be contrary to what should happen, but it's the reality. The foothills trap the smog that's blown from the valley, and can't consume it at night.

When you're coming down the hill from Eldorado Hills, you can see how the smog sits above the city of Sacramento, which sucks for me because I'm in Folsom!

Old 04-29-2007, 04:56 PM

42 posts, read 414,801 times
Default Roseville not too bad...for smog--allergies--yikes!

There are VERY few days of visible smog in Roseville. I'm sure the air quality isn't perfect, but it isn't as bad as in town. We do sometimes gets poor air quality days, but there are usually the 100+ summer days and sometimes burning of rice fields is involved. My family has asthma and we rarely have any problems.

Allergies are a bigger concern March to June especially. Today my whole family is struggling with watering eyes, sneezing, and runny noses. A little asthma therefore too, but it's definately do-able and doesn't last forever.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:06 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Once you get into the foothills it gets better. Living in the downtown area though is like smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. It's worse when it gets over 100 degrees. The combination heat and smog is miserable. The local TV and radio channels run smog alert days so you know when to stay indoors when possible.
As an ex-smoker, its not THAT bad, but during the summer it does get smoggy on some days. Yes, there are alerts saying if you have asthma you shouldn't run a marathon, but to me its just common sense.

The good thing is that the region does get Delta Breezes in the evening. So it does clear out that smog after a few days.

Allergies, yes, allergies are bad in the area. Mine seemed to get worse with age.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:57 PM

163 posts, read 773,809 times
uh....yeah guys, actually the air quality is total crap. It's easy to see the smog when you're in the right places. The foothills ARE worse than downtown because of the reasons already mentioned (this again is easy to see with your eyes when approaching the foothills...).

Sacramento is number 8 WORSE air quality in the country according to the Lung Association's State of the Air Report. And luckily LA, Bakersfield, and Fresno are number 1,2, and 3. Good stuff

Old 05-02-2007, 04:04 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
I was pretty shocked - we flew into Oakland and could see the valley and it was pitch brown. Couldn't see through it!

When I lied there I never felt like it was brown and yucky - but I guess I enever really looked at it from up above

Old 05-17-2007, 06:41 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times
http://www.creativemethods.com/airqu...maps/index.htm

Old 05-17-2007, 09:14 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Default Air Quality Map

Interesting map, Tantalust. The bad news is that it looks like our air isn't too good, the good news is everywhere else you have any concentration of folks in the country stinks too, and even rural areas only have mediocre air quality.

I didn't see anywhere on the US Map marked with "A" quality air, and barely anywhere with a "B".

Old 05-17-2007, 09:24 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
I didn't check EVERY state but I checked a lot of them and the only state I found a "A" or even a "B" is Alaska. But not Anchorage, that got a "F".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento