Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:23 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times

Advertisements

Having been born and raised in Portland, I can say that the progressive nature everyone extols can veer dangerously close to group-think at times. If you're anywhere outside the progressive "norm" (say, if you're a Republican or Libertarian) you'll be basically made to feel unwelcome in many areas of Portland.

The major reason I left, though, was the weather. I was diagnosed with SAD and for years had to cope with light boxes, St John's Wort, or an occasional stronger anti-depressant to get through the long gray months.

October is the month the weather goes to hell up there. September is gorgeous and October starts nicely enough, but by the end of the month it's drizzly and cold. I have many childhood memories of trick-or-treating in a parka to cover up the cardboard costume which was quickly disintegrating in the rain!

With a few brief breaks (those three or four cold sunny windy days in January were a godsend) it's gray, gray, gray until May or June. The old joke is that summer doesn't reliably start in Portland until July 5.

When I moved to Sacramento, my new boss warned me about the "rainy season" here - when I asked when that was, she said "January". I laughed my butt off, and said "try October through June - now *that's* a rainy season!".

Those who haven't lived it have no idea what light deprivation can do to some people. I will never again live up there - and is the major reason I'm now in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
Having been born and raised in Portland, I can say that the progressive nature everyone extols can veer dangerously close to group-think at times. If you're anywhere outside the progressive "norm" (say, if you're a Republican or Libertarian) you'll be basically made to feel unwelcome in many areas of Portland.
Um, no offense, but the past 8 years haven't exactly helped the reputations of "non-progressives" either! Actually, all things considered, I think folks have been surprisingly tolerant (unlike say, the French were with German sympathizers after WWII)!!

Although I hear 'ya re: the NW weather, which I'm also so tired of now. Folks talk about the higher annual precipitation in places like Miami or Pittsburgh. Yeah, but though others may have more, the Northwest still manages to make theirs last 24/7, and virtually all year round!

Old 09-07-2009, 04:14 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
mateo, that's absolutely correct re the rain. I lived a couple years in Austin TX which has about the same annual rainfall as Portland, but the rain comes on far fewer days. A good thunderboomer comes through Austin and can dump 1-2" of rain in an hour or two. Up in PDX, it's actually fairly rare for it to just pour down rain very often (unlike on the immediate coast, where the rain's blowing at you sideways most of the time). Most of the time it's endless drizzle or less than one-tenth of an inch; just enough to be annoying and keep everything wet and moldy (gawd I had mold problems up there!)

I can't tell you how many rained-out Memorial Day picnics & July 4th fireworks shows I endured over the years up there. Portland's Rose Festival in early June was hilarious; June is the month where the rain finally dials back and the Rose Festival can begin sunny and in the 90s - but invariably the Grand Floral Parde, which is shown all over the western US, occurs in cold rain.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:39 PM

151 posts, read 233,108 times
The weather is something you just have to try out. Many people get used to it and even come to like it a bit. Others have to pull up stakes and move back south. I'm a native and actually like the turn of the weather, and the move of Porltand culture back indoors for awhile. Come about March, I'm pretty sick of it.

You have probably heard this if you've surfed around other Portland comments, but look seriously for a job before you move. A real search. You may not find one, but you'll at least know what it's like, at which point you can chose to move up anyway and test your luck, or decide this isn't the right time. But it's good to test the job market BEFORE you move to Pdx. Lots and lots of people, particularly younger, educated people are unemployed or underemployed right now.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:18 PM

70 posts, read 196,786 times
Default some like it hot!

Major differences here...portland very young and cool but dark..sac youngish,
not as cool but if you like it hot and i do.. Sac is great. Job market should lead you nowadays.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:09 PM

67 posts, read 213,699 times
Default Some Ideas

I tried to live in Portland and felt completely overwhelmed by the agressiveness of mentally ill and drug addicted homeless people who are allowed to panhandle in almost any part of town.

In huge apartment complexes in Beaverton, off TV Highway, large Mexican families control big complexes with boom boxes, low rider cars and big families living in too small apartments, particularly on S.W. 165th.

If you rent. I really suffered from overpriced apartments that were superficially "done over"..paint and carpet but plugs fell out of walls, appliances were really old and plumbing was noisy; a lot of old buildings.

Rental laws in Oregon do not support the tenant. If something breaks there, you almost have to hire a lawyer to have it repaired. Whereas in California, if something breaks (like a water heater), the tenant can replace it and take it off the rent.

Portland hired some big advertising agency a few years ago and oversold the city. To me, the infrastructure is old, no plans were made for growth (traffic is really bad) and I never saw the police presence in Portland or surrounding areas like I do in Sacramento.

I also like Sacramento better because it is a capitol city, so generally, it feels and looks more dignified.

No jobs in Portland, no jobs in Portland, no jobs in Portland...read what people say on the forum. Portland has never been all that healthy economically, except for a few years of growth. It is just going back to it's original condition of 35-40 years ago. The reason is it doesn't like or manage or promote new business. It's not a business oriented town and it's boring...really boring.

Unless you like a lot of sex bars that makes the city look sleezy. Historically, it's always been that way.

So rather than create anything substantial, Portland prefers to be the stepchild of Seattle and San Francisco and whine about those d---- Californians who screwed up our lives.

Sacramento is survivable in winter; there are more sunny days by far.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:03 PM

10 posts, read 26,044 times
IM goin to say Sac Town.. its beautiful!!! and its close to everything

Old 09-17-2009, 06:43 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,224 times
The climate is much better in Sacramento. Portland is pretty, but the rain gets to you.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:53 AM

979 posts, read 2,092,631 times
Sac!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 02:23 PM

251 posts, read 825,359 times
Portland in summer and Sac in winter lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento