Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:44 PM

491 posts, read 1,256,362 times

Advertisements

[quote=wandering101;11318857]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
California is a different kind of place from the south. Not all bad by any means, but definitely different.

Can you expand on that a bit for someone that might be considering moving from California to N. or S.Carolina? Someone from the Carolina's might want to move to CA for the higher pay. What would make me want to move to the Carolina's even though the pay is generally lower. I ask because I have given some thought to moving to the South. Employment isn't an issue. Quality of life is an issue.
Well, your question could serve as the basis of a multi-page essay, but I'll try to be more brief.

I'm actually a native Texan who grew up in Houston. My wife, kids and and I moved to NC and spent 10 years there, both in western and eastern NC. I have a lot of family in Western NC.

California was the first place that I had ever lived that was not in the South. Just trying to be objective and not interjecting my own belief system, I would say that the south for the most part is more politically and socially conservative than California. For example, there are many more gay-rights and abortion supporters in CA, then either Texas or NC. Even though the last marriage/gay proposition failed here, it would not have even been close or probably on the ballot in either NC or Texas.

Also, something I found when moving here is that CA is much more secular than any southern state. What I mean is that, for example, in NC you never really scheduled any social or youth sports events on Sunday. Even if you didn't go to church, it was assumed that there would be too many people who would attend church services so that you wouldn't be able to hold the function. I would also say that in the smaller towns especially, the church scene plays an extremely important part in the social fabric of the entire town. Not so in CA, that I have been able to see.

There are a lot of places in the south (especially small towns) where it is very hard to become part of the social fabric because of the "You're not from around here" syndrome. This is something that will absolutely drive you crazy and you can't depend on a real estate agent for example, to tell you how the town treats "outsiders".

I would also say that I find that people in CA are more use to the state providing social services than those people in the south. I think that the recent budget mess here and the outcry from so many special-interest groups is about people here not being used to a lower level of services that the south has has had for years due to less resources and lower tax revenue. Of course, for the most part the south has lower taxes which is a definite bonus.

Also, in Texas, NC and the rest of the south, unions are either non-existent or don't have any real power. In addition, the state laws almost always favor the employer in any type of dispute with the worker. The laws are set up so that employers can hire and fire with impunity. Furthermore, most southern states do not have a state minimum wage. You get the federal minimum wage and that' it. When I left NC, the minimum wage was still $5.65/hour or something like that and plenty of people worked for that wage every day. The low level of wages in some parts of the deep south is really something that was even hard for me to take, coming from Texas. It was the real reason we left. Ok, you said that jobs weren't an issue, but I couldn't resist.

Don't think that I'm down on CA or the south --far from it. Although we will probably leave CA to go back to the south within the next year, I think the people here are as friendly or even more so than a lot of places I lived in the south. And, I will most definitely miss the weather which is better overall than any place in the south. Most places in the south, you will have to deal with the combination of high heat and high humidity which is something that we don't have in Northern California.

To sum up, if you are looking for a more conservative lifestyle, like lower taxes, don't mind or need lower state services, are good at fitting in with an existing established social scene and can handle the weather, you will do fine in most parts of the south. Be sure and really check out the place you are moving too, because there is still a lot of variation in the south and some of what I have said doesn't apply to some areas, especially the big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 11:07 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,682,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCNeuroRN View Post
Thanks for the info... I am definetely not planning on moving out until I have secured a position with a good hospital. As for why we want to move away from NC... well, the pay rates here, even for nurses, are notoriously low. I can make about 2.5-3 times what I am making now in CA. Housing and all of that other cost-of-living stuff is more expensive here in the Wilmington area b/c it is a resort area, lots of high priced housing around. Plus we have been here for 10 yrs now... its time for something new!
Yes, you will find wages for RN's to be much higher in California than they are in North Carolina, but the overall cost of living in California is probably much higher than it is in North Carolina. If you are originally from the south, you will find life in California to be much different from what you are used to. I know this for a fact as I am from the south and now living in the Sacramento area. I'll be returning to the south just as soon as I can retire.

If you are dead set on California, you should also consider the UC Davis Health System and UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento. Their benefits are the best you will find anywhere. I know because I work for them. If you want their website address, send me a private message and I'll send it to you.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 5,652 times
Thanks for all the great information...I have noticed that most of the comments have had some portion related to the cost of living. According to the research that we have done on the areas that we are interested in (particularly Placerville, and surrounding areas in the foothills...not anywhere near the larger cities) the cost of living is 106.1% whereas average areas in the US are 100%...particularly housing was listed as being 54% more expensive than what we are used to here, but all of the other things listed (i.e. utilies, food, etc) were anywhere from 5% to (I think) 10% more than what we are used to here.
Now what we have seen through looking at places like Craigslist, realtors websites, and the local newspapers is that the prices for houses are pretty comparable to here in NC. We are looking to rent first for a while, looking for a 3-4 bedroom with a garage and some property. Here in Wilmington NC you cant find anything like that for less than $1800 or so a month, and even at that you are going to have neighbors within 10 feet of you and really nothing in the way of views. But we are in a beach, resort town...so you are not going to have the space that you might have in the sierra foothills. We have found really nice spacious homes with exactly the things that we are interested in for ranges between $1200 and $1600. I am really not willing to go beyond that.
As for the cost of living in terms of the other aspects...like food and utilities, etc. I am wondering if there is any one that can provide me with some insight as to just how expensive those things are. I know that gas is definetely more expensive there, which means that food must be more expensive..but I am wondering about things like... is a ticket to the movies going to be more expensive then we would pay here in NC, are a pair of jeans going to cost more there than they would here. I know those things sound realitively inconsequential, but I want to make sure that I have all the information that I need to make an informed choice about relocating.
As for the hospital thing...I currently have an interview lined up with Mercy San Juan hospital in Carmichael. Any thoughts from any one on that place? So far the benefits and compensation that I have heard about from the company seem to be worth my while. I am also aware of, and willing to do, the commute. We have found a great place in Somerset that we are interested in. Any thoughts on that locale would be greatly appreciated as well.
Sorry to sound so particular, but I am just trying to find out if I am way off base in my research...the internet can only tell you so much, you know. Thanks!!!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:23 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,197,096 times
Actually, while gas is more expensive, food isn't necessarily more expensive as a result, because so much food is produced in this region that the trip to market is a lot shorter. As mentioned, the mountains cost a bit more because transportation is that much more difficult, and because it is a sparsely populated region there is less efficiency of scale and less competition. Movies in Sacramento cost about $10 for a regular ticket, matinees about $7. A pair of Levis costs about $40 at Macy's.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:26 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,682,592 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the great information...I have noticed that most of the comments have had some portion related to the cost of living. According to the research that we have done on the areas that we are interested in (particularly Placerville, and surrounding areas in the foothills...not anywhere near the larger cities) the cost of living is 106.1% whereas average areas in the US are 100%...particularly housing was listed as being 54% more expensive than what we are used to here, but all of the other things listed (i.e. utilies, food, etc) were anywhere from 5% to (I think) 10% more than what we are used to here.
Now what we have seen through looking at places like Craigslist, realtors websites, and the local newspapers is that the prices for houses are pretty comparable to here in NC. We are looking to rent first for a while, looking for a 3-4 bedroom with a garage and some property. Here in Wilmington NC you cant find anything like that for less than $1800 or so a month, and even at that you are going to have neighbors within 10 feet of you and really nothing in the way of views. But we are in a beach, resort town...so you are not going to have the space that you might have in the sierra foothills. We have found really nice spacious homes with exactly the things that we are interested in for ranges between $1200 and $1600. I am really not willing to go beyond that.
As for the cost of living in terms of the other aspects...like food and utilities, etc. I am wondering if there is any one that can provide me with some insight as to just how expensive those things are. I know that gas is definetely more expensive there, which means that food must be more expensive..but I am wondering about things like... is a ticket to the movies going to be more expensive then we would pay here in NC, are a pair of jeans going to cost more there than they would here. I know those things sound realitively inconsequential, but I want to make sure that I have all the information that I need to make an informed choice about relocating.
As for the hospital thing...I currently have an interview lined up with Mercy San Juan hospital in Carmichael. Any thoughts from any one on that place? So far the benefits and compensation that I have heard about from the company seem to be worth my while. I am also aware of, and willing to do, the commute. We have found a great place in Somerset that we are interested in. Any thoughts on that locale would be greatly appreciated as well.
Sorry to sound so particular, but I am just trying to find out if I am way off base in my research...the internet can only tell you so much, you know. Thanks!!!
I live in Citrus Heights. Mercy San Juan Medical Center is not far from where I live. They have an excellent reputation in the field of Cardiology. I don't know anyone working there, but I've never heard anything negative about them. I know that you said you are willing to do and are aware of the commute, but Mapquest.com estimates driving time from Somerset to Citrus Heights to be 1 hour (about 45 miles each way). That 1 hour estimate is under normal driving conditions, not in rush-hour traffic. All it takes is 1 accident on the freeway to back up traffic which will add significantly to your driving time. Do you really want to spend a minimum of 2 hours per day commuting to and from work? If you are hired by Mercy San Juan Medical Center and plan to live in Somerset, I recommend that you consider the amount of time you would spend on the road each day, cost of gas, and mileage and depreciation on your vehicle before making a final decision. I would hate to see you regret your decision later on. Good luck with your interview.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 AM

62 posts, read 187,413 times
My wife and I moved (last year) from Sacramento to North Carolina so here are some of my thoughts. First, the main reason we moved was for a job change for me. I had been living in Sacramento for 13 years and overall I would have to say it was great. At the same time, I did see the traffic, congestion and other "bigger city" problems starting to come into Sacramento. The pay is higher is CA but keep in mind so is the cost of living (people should check out those cost of living calculators). There are a lot of very neat places close by Sacramento (eg Lake Tahoe, Napa, Yosemite, etc) that are big pluses. Up to this point, we are very happy with our move to NC (we live in the Winston-Salem area). There is less diversity in terms of people and views, BUT people here are just basically NICE....As we continue to explore the area, we have found cool places as here as well. I did take a pay cut by coming out here and my wife, who is a nurse, took a even bigger pay cut...was it worth it? Well, for us it was but that is certainly a decision that each person has to make for themselves.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:29 PM

70 posts, read 196,360 times
Default placerville or bust

Quote:
I am an RN in the coastal area of Wilmington, NC looking to relocate to the an area in Northern CA. So far all of the hospitals that I have applied to are in the range between Sonora and Sacramento. I have relatives that live in Angels Camp. My husband and I, along with our 3 kids... 3, 5, and 8, have focused our attention on the Placerville area largely based on what we have seen so far of the mostly rolling hills, leafy trees (but that has only been on Craigslist ads).... I would love to get any info that some one might have on the particulars of this area. Mostly school info, good areas to live, availability of ammenities, etc. Also, some of the hospitals that I have applied to are in the cities to the north of Sacramento... I am wondering about the commute, any information on hospitals to stay away from or those to be more interested in, etc.
Basically any and all information that would be helpful to a family of 5 with young kids. Our goal is to get a place with acreage to hopefully have a horse or 2 with good schools close by (we prefer christian, but public is ok)...we are going to rent at first and then see what happens...Also, any info on rental agencies would be appreciated also!!!
Thanks!!!
The commute to sac can be hectic between 7 and 9 to sac from placerville. we moved here 2 years ago..my daughter goes to eldo..it different ..we were from ny...she loves here we love it too...call russ brett at era reality..good luck...shingle springs is horsey!

Old 10-30-2009, 04:41 PM

4 posts, read 5,652 times
Thanks! Jguillot... What I have thought about the commute is that it might not necessarily be that bad b/c I work 12 hr shifts, so I am going to be leaving roughly around 5:15, 5:30 in the morning...not your typical time for the big commuter rush...same thing for coming home (I would get off work at approx 7:15pm). And it is only 3 days per week. Maybe 4, if I choose. Doesnt sound too bad...but I know there is a difference between saying and doing.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:09 AM

599 posts, read 1,646,859 times
Traffic won't be bad if you do those hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento