U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:12 PM

322 posts, read 641,632 times

Advertisements

Grass Valley has a shortage of parks. Auburn is better in that respect. Some of the people in GV/NC are smug, which translates into smug customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 06:03 PM

2,442 posts, read 4,876,801 times
Who needs parks when you have the whole forest around you?

The hot spots for the kids (before the internet) up there is several places along the Yuba River.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:22 PM

4 posts, read 9,528 times
Stay out of our town! No i'm kidding come if you want but be careful who you hang out with....lot of janky people. But most of them are really cool and nice, very accepting as andy said.

Later oh really cool skate park too and if you like disc golf theres some cool courses.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 9,528 times
Grass Valley Come on vacation blah blah blah. No it's really nice I don't know what these ozone guys are talking about but I love it there so what you get sunburned big deal. fires are a big deal but my dad recently installed these sprinklers pretty much, on the top of your house and they spray 15 to 20 feet around your house. but thats for fire season. Ranch5 is totally right on every angle.. I was born and raised there and saw pretty much both sides of GV but my dad owns a plumbing business in cedar ridge I like that part of town a lot. I also Like the You Bet/Chaulk Bluff area. Way out in the woods. But the closer you get to town you get more hippies and nevada city, which is pretty much growing together with grass valley is filled with em. But mainly really friendly people who want to show you a good time!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 PM

7 posts, read 31,422 times
Default grass valley

If your a bay area snob with some wannabee kids PLEASE DON"T COME HERE WE DON't WANT YOU.......even without the kids. please build the fence!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-26-2011, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,659 times
Not sure how to do this. Couldn't find the new thread link?
So...I'm thinking of moving to Meadow Vista or near Nevada City from Walnut Creek, CA. Are those towns as hot as Sacramento in the summer? Also, I'm hoping for a dusting of snow in the winter, does MV ever get that. Also, which country club[s] in that area are the less pretencious...more down to earth.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:05 PM

59 posts, read 112,468 times
Default The newspaper

The Union is very good about reporting crimes in Nevada County.

I suggest you carefully monitor the police blotter for a few weeks and see if you are willing to live with the kind of crime that has become common in Grass Valley, Colfax and Nevada City.

If, after understanding the problems in the area, I would talk with all the neighbors because of the backyard grows could result in losing more of your real estate investment and invite more crime into your neighborhood.

TheUnion.com Online News | Grass Valley & Nevada County California

Old 10-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
Grass Valley has a shortage of parks. Auburn is better in that respect. Some of the people in GV/NC are smug, which translates into smug customer service.
I also found that to be true. One day, while living near the courthouse in Nevada City, I called the city to ask about the privately owned tree ordinance. Specifically, my landlady had never trimmed the older trees on her property; some heavy branches were dying and hanging low over parked cars and families were walking under them to the charter school, off the alley, unaware of the danger.

This charming public servant nearly yelled at me, that the city cannot be responsible for all the trees in the city and hung up.

After reading about the stress of more important problems, I guess trees are not so much a priority when public service budgets are being cut.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 PM

322 posts, read 641,632 times
Default Grass Valley

I would not move back there, now mostly because I've heard its the new "homeless haven" and women are keeping away from the grocery stores because of begging homeless people.

Its because word travels; they have a great homeless shelter in GV where the people are bused to a different church every night and given a grand buffet meal, home cooked by members of that church. Then they all sleep on mats in a big room. Word has obviously traveled as far as Sacramento, and there are all these new homeless people there!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 PM

Default True

Yes, that is true.

We belonged to a Grass Valley Christian Church and were asked to work with their homeless program that included being on the church property at 5:00 a.m. to supervise breakfast. We did not have a problem with any of that, except we asked if the church screened for illnesses, such as flu, hepatitis, etc.

Understanding that is not possible; how would any such program even begin to address the problem of communicable diseases, when they are barely able to screen for addiction and other issues. But they all slept in close proximity to each other in 2 large rooms, in the church building.

One of our lovely, elderly male neighbors in Nevada City graciously volunteered for a Grass Valley overnight shelter and came home very sick. He is approaching 80; many, many volunteers in Nevada County are older people.

So if homeless people are seeing Grass Valley and Nevada City as "marks" for (what is, for some) a chosen lifestyle and if they are coming in from Reno, Sacramento, San Francisco, etc., how would a pandemic be avoided?

In other words, we have not even begun to address the health risks for volunteers; I would first call the county health department; I would want to know what illnesses (if any) are being reported from local hospitals and clinics.

We should help disadvantaged people who legitimately lose the ability to help themselves but let's be practical. What is the population of Nevada County? Now, what is the proportion of homeless; do the figures match those in other communities this size? Is anyone keeping tabs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento