U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-24-2009, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 23,901 times

Advertisements

We have put an offer on a home in Pollock Pines and have heard that it gets 2 inches to 2 feet of snow but usually melts in a day or two. If you know the area can you tell us more about the average snow fall? Also I want to garden with native plants so info in this area would be helpful too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 12:47 AM

357 posts, read 403,347 times
Good for you, that is an awesome area, I say do it regardless of the snow. The snow will probably never keep you stuck at home, but you're guaranteed to have issues behind the wheel. I would make sure I had an all wheel drive car or truck, then it won't be such an issue. What you have heard about the snow is spot on, a white Christmas isn't guaranteed, but you'll see some snow every year. It's a real town of characters, and in a good way. Go have a Subway sandwich, sit on the benches out front, and bs with that guy who has the old turquoise Ford. You're pretty much way from it all, with great access to Folsom/Sac, and Tahoe/Reno. My only complaint is how bad the traffic gets this time of year on the weekends, so many people going to Apple Hill. That's a bonus too, Apple Hill is great fun, just go during the week, or when it rains.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:57 PM

756 posts, read 1,534,111 times
Pollock is slightly above the snow line so snowfall is variable. If a Pacific storm is cold enough and carries enough moisture, several feet can fall. However, this is relatively rare.
Also, it typically sticks around only for a few days to maybe a week or so at best.
Unlike other parts of the country like the midwest and east coast, California does not receive the bitterly cold air masses that dip down from Canada or the Arctic that mix with Pacific moisture. Really, the amount of snow this region receives depends on exactly what part of the Pacific the storm track is coming from. The higher to the north, generally the lower the snow levels. The one real drawback for ski bums is if we get a series of sub-tropical storms (very common in California) that pushes the snow levels well above 6000 feet.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:33 PM

6 posts, read 23,901 times
Thank you so much for the info. We heard today that the bank accepted our offer and we are expected to close by Dec. 11! I look forward to our move. Thankss again!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabalot3 View Post
We have put an offer on a home in Pollock Pines and have heard that it gets 2 inches to 2 feet of snow but usually melts in a day or two. If you know the area can you tell us more about the average snow fall? Also I want to garden with native plants so info in this area would be helpful too. Thanks!

i lived in pollock pines in 2010 had lots of snow electricity went out alot and the snow plowers plowed burms 5 feet high in driveways! it was really bad last year and it does last more then 2 days! family has lived there for 20 years, cute town too much snow!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keli449 View Post
i lived in pollock pines in 2010 had lots of snow electricity went out alot and the snow plowers plowed burms 5 feet high in driveways! it was really bad last year and it does last more then 2 days! family has lived there for 20 years, cute town too much snow!
plants usually die! big experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento