Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 17,160 times

Advertisements

I would also live in El Dorado Hills, it is 20 min. from Folsom. Very nice and Kid friendly , I heard good things about Roseville , that the schools are good and it's about 20 min. from Folsom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 10:02 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
El Dorado Hills is right next to Folsom. Very good schools. Very nice place. Let me know if you have any questions about this area.

Here is the school rating map for the Sacramento area. Zoom in on Folsom you will see most are excellent. Zoom in on EDH too as they are all great schools.

http://school-ratings.com/cities/Sac...itan_area.html

Old 11-14-2014, 09:27 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
I am not saying that the schools in El Dorado Hills or Roseville for that matter are necessarily bad, but I overall I suspect that the local schools are better in Folsom than in Roseville or El Dorado Hills. Some of the schools in Roseville are excellent, but some are closer to just fair, especially in the areas close to the railroad tracks or near interstate 80. The other thing about El Dorado Hills and Roseville is that they really don't have the Folsom network of bike paths that Folsom has. A lot of El Dorado Hills has space to be built out in the future, but right now, I would much rather live in Folsom than either El Dorado Hills or Roseville.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:29 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Folsom is nice now. Not sure what it will be like when S50 is complete. There is lots of discord here with the city government.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I am not saying that the schools in El Dorado Hills or Roseville for that matter are necessarily bad, but I overall I suspect that the local schools are better in Folsom than in Roseville or El Dorado Hills.
I'm not sure why you would think that. Every school in El Dorado Hills is rated a 10. I have a 3rd grader and I'm very involved with the schools here. I can attest that they are excellent. We do have some quirky school boundaries but that's just something to investigate if moving here.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:25 PM

As between Folsom and El Dorado Hills, I just think Folsom is a lot nicer. Folsom has the bike trails all over the place and El Dorado Hills doesn't.

Second El Dorado Hills seems to have some problems with asbestos and that has always made me a little reluctant to live there.

Not in Their Back Yard | Mother Jones

Naturally Occurring Asbestos in California | Region 9: Toxic | US EPA

But your right the schools in El Dorado Hills aren't bad, I was thinking more about Roseville where the schools are more hit or miss.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:40 PM

The serpentine rock that contains asbestos doesn't scare me. We have dust abatement requirements in place for new construction to keep down the dust. Sadly, naturally occurring rock doesn't know city or county boundaries and other nearby areas do not have the same measures.

EDH and Folsom are similar in many ways and different in many ways. Folsom has a lot to offer and is a great community, but I prefer EDH. I'm sure many people in Folsom find it a better place to live. I think the best part is that people from both communities prefer the one where they live, and that's a good sign for both areas.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:28 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
I'm not sure why you would think that. Every school in El Dorado Hills is rated a 10. I have a 3rd grader and I'm very involved with the schools here. I can attest that they are excellent.
I've always heard great things about the schools in EDH, and the parents are very involved. I believe that Folsom has one school that has lower scores than the others. It's also in the older part of town. Hopefully, some of that Measure G money will go to improve that school, instead of new football turf or gym for the high schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
As between Folsom and El Dorado Hills, I just think Folsom is a lot nicer.
As I suspected, personal preference. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Quote:

EDH and Folsom are similar in many ways and different in many ways. Folsom has a lot to offer and is a great community, but I prefer EDH. I'm sure many people in Folsom find it a better place to live. I think the best part is that people from both communities prefer the one where they live, and that's a good sign for both areas.
I agree. I love that I have the best of both of them. Live in Folsom, work 10 minutes away in EDH, and I get to shop in both.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:44 AM

You will find many excellent neighborhoods and schools in Folsom. You might need to consider whether you prefer older/bigger homes or newer/smaller homes. Also, think about whether HOA communities are important to have or avoid. Those two items will really help narrow your search. Inventory is quite low in Folsom right now, I'm hoping it opens up a bit in spring.

Right now there are 5 homes listed in folsom that are 4/2 and under $450k. You might also look next door in El Dorado Hills as there are 8 available there.

Good luck with your move!

Old 12-21-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
The serpentine rock that contains asbestos doesn't scare me. We have dust abatement requirements in place for new construction to keep down the dust. Sadly, naturally occurring rock doesn't know city or county boundaries and other nearby areas do not have the same measures.
The asbestos really does scare me. Remember you are living among this stuff, your kids are playing in this stuff and running around it and bringing it into your homes. Asbestos exposure seems to be a problem of long term exposure and when you are living among it, that is the type of exposure you are getting.

Lastly the developers/real estate interests pretty much much run the government in El Dorado Hills. That isn't necessarily the ideal group to make sure that the local government is actually doing what is necessary and appropriate to actually protect its residents from this type of threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento