Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:25 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
If you guys spent as much time in downtown san jose as you do talking about it there might actually be some people walking around there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 10:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
If you guys spent as much time in downtown san jose as you do talking about it there might actually be some people walking around there
You sound pretty clueless, as usual.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:45 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,569 times
San Jose annihilates Sacramento especially in downtown and pop and industry.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:30 AM

762 posts, read 2,029,902 times
San Jose area is absolutely HUGE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How similar or different (in feel) is Sacramento from San Jose, CA?

Both car-oriented cities? For the most part, right? Are they similar in feel? how so or how aren't they?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
San Jose annihilates Sacramento especially in downtown and pop and industry.
durf, god dammit...

Old 04-14-2011, 12:52 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,569 times
Krudmonk, don't use God's name in vain!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 11,032 times
We have lived in both cities and personally like Sacramento much more - reason why we decided to relocate back there in the next few months. We have small children and consider there to be a better place to raise a family, because of suburbs with good schools and much cheaper cost of living, not to mention sports and activities for small children. We have lived for years in San Jose and could not find an area that is comparable to Sacramento when it comes to good schools + sports + activities for children + cost of living. In San Jose we were faced with the dilemma of paying thousands for housing and putting kids in good public schools, or saving money on housing but spending on private shools. In sacramento we can have the best of both worlds: cheaper housing in comparison to South Bay Area and good school districts. However, if we didn't have kids we would not mind at all staying put in San Jose. I think it all depends on what is your priorities.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:33 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
I don't have kids and personally like Sacramento a lot better too. Schools, suburbs, sports and kids' activities don't really mean anything to me, but I still agree with the previous poster's basic point. The low cost of living is nice, I don't have to constantly hustle to make rent and can live a lot more simply and cheaply than I would in SF with the same income. This means I have more free time to do the things I like to do. And I don't want for things to do, plus I can walk to most of them. I'm sure some of the folks who like downtown San Jose like it because it is so clean and shiny--well, personally, that's part of what I don't like about it.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I'm sure some of the folks who like downtown San Jose like it because it is so clean and shiny--well, personally, that's part of what I don't like about it.
Hey, another one who thinks San Jose was built yesterday...

Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Well, I like Sacramento and I don't really care if other people like it or not.

I don't dislike San Jose. It is just kind of there to me.

It has been awhile since I've really done anything in San Jose, but I can remember when San Jose's downtown area was really tired looking. That comes and goes in urbanized areas based on local economics, which change over time.

Sacramento's downtown is a very functional place. The only real disadvantage it has is employment is dominated by the government, legal and financial sectors. Those people go home at night. So, the CBD is kind of dead at night, except for Old Sacramento. The Midtown neighborhood to the east is busy most nights of the week.

The matching wits mentality about cities is really for people who don't have the cognitive capacity to understand different cities have different personalities, cultures and quirks. If you like clubbing, live in San Francisco. If you think living in close proximity to Yahoo's headquarters matters, then Sunnyvale is the place for you. Country music? Try Bakersfield. I like the outdoors so I live a short distance from the Sierra Nevada.

I also like housing expenses that are 20% of my income. Not the 40-50% in the Bay Area. I've rented for a long time and have a good chunk of cash saved up. I'm looking for a house I'll likely pay cash for, or perhaps take out the minimum $25K loan if I have to. I couldn't do that in San Jose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento