Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:16 AM

264 posts, read 413,873 times

Advertisements

Is it like this every Spring?

Pollen Index & Forecast | Weather Underground

I never thought I even had allergies before moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 10:32 AM

276 posts, read 365,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
You ain't seen nothing yet.

Although it is earlier than normal, the amount of gunk in the air is fairly light compared to "normal".

Old 03-19-2015, 10:39 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,548 times
Quote:

Hahahahaha. Me neither. I remember the first string of 5 sneezes in a row, a coworker turned to me and said "Sacramento allergies hitting you, ha?" I replied, "No. I've never had allergies in my life".

Little did I know .

Old 03-19-2015, 10:56 AM

First time... ever. Scarfing down allergy pills! Holy sneezes this morning, started maybe 2-3 days ago I thought I was getting a cold.

Been here since June last year and nada, I guess it's March to May that hits hardest?

Or maybe I'm particularly allergic to Ash, Grass and Cedar/Juniper.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:58 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,910 times
Quote:

It is. Any plant that can pollinate here, native or transplanted--does.

Last edited by NickB1967; 03-19-2015 at 11:52 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 11:26 AM

256 posts, read 367,427 times
The sycamore trees are shedding pollen right now and it is just the worst. I think it's an irritant even if you aren't actually allergic to it.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeney View Post
The sycamore trees are shedding pollen right now and it is just the worst. I think it's an irritant even if you aren't actually allergic to it.
Mulberries are also exploding with pollen. And I do mean exploding. Watch a mature tree for a few minutes and you will see puff after puff of pollen being released. The ground under some trees will be painted yellow there is so much being released.

Hopefully the rain expected on Monday will be enough to clean out some of the gunk.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
First time... ever. Scarfing down allergy pills! Holy sneezes this morning, started maybe 2-3 days ago I thought I was getting a cold.

Been here since June last year and nada, I guess it's March to May that hits hardest?

Or maybe I'm particularly allergic to Ash, Grass and Cedar/Juniper.

Since it is your first season, pay close attention to the allergy reports compared to your symptoms. They will tell you what types of plants are starting to bloom and the one or two in each category that are the most prolific. That will help you plan next year's meds prophylactically so you don't suffer as much.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:36 PM

256 posts, read 367,427 times
Or you could just do what the rest of us do and take Claritin or Zyrtec daily except in June, July, and August. (In the fall it's molds and spores, and then in December all those Christmas trees, and then spring starts right after that.)

In June, July, and August it's just too hot to go outside.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:22 PM

1 Claritin + 1 Allegra wasn't enough, and I didn't want to overdose.

Particularly bad today, could not stop sneezing that it interrupted my work. It's indoors too.

I noticed the weather's perfect right now so the AC/heat never kicked on (house insulated well). Ended up setting the fan on manually so the filter catches what's inside, that + HEPA filter did the trick.

Well, today taught me some empathy for all the allergy people. There must be something growing close by my house I have a rare allergy to. Think I'm going to drop by my PCP for an allergy test, those are fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento