Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,446 times

Advertisements

Hi I don't know where the eruv is b/c I just stumbled across this looking for another post...but want to put in my 2cents :-)

When I read the gentlemen's query, my first instinct was Arden Park or Country Club (if it it inside the eruv.) I lived in Sac 25 years and if you want to be close to the area you mentioned, then these would be my first two suggestions. I haven't lived in Sac in a few years tho, so maybe things have changed...may not be inside the eruv, but I personally liked East Sac and even Midtown somewhat...altho I lived in country club and loved it, and usuallly walked to Farmer's Mkt, etc...and it was close to all the fwy's.
San Diego is a great choice if you're Jewish or Israeli tho, if you don't like Sac!
good luck
Dina

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardius View Post
You might find the following useful. Attached is a story about the formation of an Eruv in Sacramento as well as a google map of it. You might have to zoom in on the google map a few times for the map to work.

[url=http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/35798/law-and-border-sacramento-eruv-delights-local-orthodox-community/]Law and border: Sacramento eruv delights local Orthodox community | j. the Jewish news weekly of Northern California[/url]

[url=http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=10687364032359993042 7.000450833c13ceb81893d]Sacramento Eruv Map - Google Maps[/url]

You also might find this portal about Jewish life in Sacramento helpful.

[url=http://www.jewishsac.org/page.aspx?ID=152215]Newcomer's Page[/url]

In setting up the Eruv, they tried to pick areas with diverse incomes, so that Jews of differing incomes wouldn't be priced out of Eruv. If you look at tab on the left side of this link, you can also find maps of the area by educational attainment, race and host of other factors.

[url=http://www.ersys.com/usa/06/0664000/income.htm]STI: ERsys - Sacramento, CA (Income)[/url]

Generally the areas of Eruv East of Watt Avenue are wealthier and more owner occupied and are in a neighborhood called Arden Park. Towards the south of the Eruv, you start heading toward a neighborhood called Sierra Oaks named after the boundaries of local elementary school. The local elementary school is strong and so the parts of the Eruv in the attendance district for the Elementary school are more desirable.

[url]http://www.sanjuan.edu/files/filesystem/documents/SierraOaksElem.pdf[/url]

In Manhattan, housing is very expensive and rent control is common, so people of all walks of life tend to rent fairly small spaces and often never buy anything. In this area, there is no rent control and housing overall is much cheaper. In this area how you control your rent is by buying your own home. As a result those who have the means to do so are generally more inclined here to buy something. The market for upscale rentals is comparatively smaller and the market for upscale rental apartments even smaller. A large part of the potential upscale apartment rental market is displaced by people who decide to rent single family homes in nicer neighborhoods instead. The nearest upscale rental condos are in Campus Commons or Wyndgate, but both of those communities are outside the Eruv.

I think your best bet would be to rent a small single family home in Arden Park of in Sierra Oaks with a gardener if you don't want to do upkeep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,446 times
Hi I don't know where the eruv is b/c I just stumbled across this looking for another post...but want to put in my 2cents :-)

When I read your query, my first instinct was Arden Park or Country Club (if it it inside the eruv.) I lived in Sac 25 years and if you want to be close to the area you mentioned, then these would be my first two suggestions. I haven't lived in Sac in 6 years or so, tho, so maybe things have changed, but I doubt it...it hadn't changed too much in those areas in the first 25 years, lol. Country Club (I lived on Lusk Drive) was all owners except me, and most of them were people that had known one another since the 50's!...may not be inside the eruv, but I personally liked East Sac and even Midtown somewhat...altho I lived in country club and loved it, and usuallly walked to Farmer's Mkt, etc...and it was close to all the fwy's.
San Diego is a great choice if you're Jewish or Israeli tho, if you don't like Sac! A little more expensive, but better weather and lots more to do! I liked Sacramento when I lived there but what you really would probably need to find out is what are your interests and what do you like to do in your spare time, what kind of lifestyle do you lead...and see if Sacramento is the kind of community that fits this. Your post is old tho so you are probably way past this, lol! good luick!
good luck
Dina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento