U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 03:05 AM

7,546 posts, read 8,373,120 times

Advertisements

Depends on what part of the region you're in--Sacramento is about 25% Hispanic, Roseville about 12%. Hispanic culture isn't as pronounced as in southern California, but it is definitely around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 10:20 AM

1,598 posts, read 2,143,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Sacramento isn't very hispanic, as California cities go. Additionally, in the past they worked in the railyards and other industries with everyone else and assimilated into American culture, so you won't find hispanic culture here like you do in Fresno or Los Angeles.

And think twice about the Critical Period theory. Adults can learn languages as well as children. The difference is adults often look at it as work and aren't as flexible in their thinking. Adults also tend to isolate themselves from other languages. Kids run out in the playground and try to figure out how to communicate so they can play with other children.

As far as assimilation programs, Sacramento is lacking in any real foreign-language programs. The two big languages here are Spanish and Russian. Spanish classes are abundant at the college and private level. The closest college I know of that has anything resembling an immersion program is up at Lake Tahoe for several weeks in the summer. There are scatterings of Russian courses available at the American River College and Sacramento City College, as well as CSU, Sacramento. But these are textbook courses and they typically don't do much for speaking.
What I find strange is that Hispanic influence is pretty pronounced in CA overall, even if it isn't as noticeable in Sacramento as it might be in SoCal or the Bay Area. Its influence in the lower Pacific region and Southwest region is pretty huge. You'd think it would be easy to find schools to teach children Spanish anywhere in those regions, even in cities/towns where the residents don't make up a large part of the population.

We'd like to give our kids more tools to use in life and to have them be able to communicate with their family members who live outside of the country. America seems to be one of the only nations that doesn't put a whole lot of effort in teaching kids multiple languages, which seems to us that having our children learn more languages would give them an advantage when they get older. The trick will be keeping them from forgetting it, since they won't get much practice with their peers.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 AM

69 posts, read 151,649 times
How well do you know the language. You could "immerse" them at home. Its hard but if you and your wife only spoke Spanish with the kids and not responded to them when they spoke in English they would learn. But its real hard to remember especially if you and your spouse speak to each other in English.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:34 PM

7,546 posts, read 8,373,120 times
One anecdote about Roseville and the Spanish language I have to share: A friend with an interest in foreign-language books went to a bookstore in Roseville, browsed a bit in their foreign language section, and asked the owner if they had any books in Spanish.

The owner replied, "No. Our foreign-language section focuses on European languages."

Old 06-05-2010, 06:37 PM

1,598 posts, read 2,143,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
One anecdote about Roseville and the Spanish language I have to share: A friend with an interest in foreign-language books went to a bookstore in Roseville, browsed a bit in their foreign language section, and asked the owner if they had any books in Spanish.

The owner replied, "No. Our foreign-language section focuses on European languages."
LOL - last time I checked, Spanish is spoken in Europe as well.... thanks for the info wburg.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
My wife is trying to find some feedback. Figured I'd post a question about it here. We've found it to be more difficult than we thought it would be to teach our 3 year old Spanish, even with my wife being fluent. I guess if I were fluent too it would be easier.
Its actually fine that you are not fluent. The best way to teach your child English and Spanish simultaneously is for each parent to speak one language with the child. Your wife should always speak Spanish with the child being careful not to mix with English and you should should only speak English with the child. He/She should become fluent in both languages if you do it this way.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 949 times
Look into Blanca Spanish Immersion program in Sacramento.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:21 PM

3,019 posts, read 3,886,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyellez View Post
Its actually fine that you are not fluent. The best way to teach your child English and Spanish simultaneously is for each parent to speak one language with the child. Your wife should always speak Spanish with the child being careful not to mix with English and you should should only speak English with the child. He/She should become fluent in both languages if you do it this way.
I have a friend that did that with their son. He not only excelled at Spanish, but was later able to learn other languages much more easily because the 2nd one is the hardest.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:18 PM

70 posts, read 108,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyellez View Post
That was going to be my suggestion.

I have a friend whose daughter learned to fluently speak English, Italian, and French by the time she was 5. The father was from Italy, so spoke only Italian to her; my friend's mother was from France, so she spoke only French to the girl; and my friend (although also fluent in French) only spoke English to her daughter. The girl is a grown woman now, and works in international business, and does very well for heself.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:11 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,438,146 times
There is a Mexican Consulate in Natomas. (916) 441-3287. They may have fielded such questions before so may know of such schools. Thought of contacting the Spanish Department of a local university of community college and asking them? Their staff may know of places. Several high schools offer Spanish so you might ask them, as well (no, not for your kids to go there but the teachers may know). I found it interesting that, may years ago when I was a sub teacher, Elk Grove H.S. had Portuguese classes. But, of course, there was some Portuguese influence in the Sac area (e.g., Portuguese Bend).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento