Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Maine resident researching California, looking for safety, farmers markets, organic gardens, elementary schools, green trees, mild weather, strong economy, liberal

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,596 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm probablly destined to move to California from my home state of Maine, because my husband can't hack the weather here. I wondered if you could give me some suggestions of places where I could live that have all or most of the following things that I love about Maine....
1. Safety
2. Organic Gardens with Farm Stands
3. Framers Markets
4. Good Schools for elementary school aged kids
5. Beautiful nature (green trees)
6. Weather thats not TOOO hot
7. Good Economy (I work in the nonprofit sector, hubby is an electrician)
8. A strong sense of community--not just mile after mile of subdivisions
9. Liberal or Democratic vibe.
10. Housing market where we could buy in the 250 range.... maybe upto 300 range if we don't eat one week a month.

I hope there is such a place that embodies these things. Let me know if I'm dreaming. My husband's family lives in Merced/Turlock area. So, if there's a spot close to those towns, that would be ideal. (I think.)
THANKS!
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 08:30 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,822 times
Some of them are easily found here, the Liberal vibe in areas, the farmers markets... sounds like Davis up closer to Sacramento might be for you, it's about 2.5-3 hours to Merced I'd say... however.....

scratch #10 right now unless you want to go out in the middle of nowhere, I'm afraid.

... I'd also say #8's not going to be impossible to find, but tract sprawl is the thing here, especially in southern CA. #4 will usually only be found in tract areas. CA's schools aren't the best, and great ones tend to be in new tract areas... older usually means worse around here.

Beware, the valley gets hot. Triple digits in the summer aren't strange, and Sacramentens/valley folk won't bat an eye at 90 degree temps either.

The Valley itself isn't what I'd call "green," but there is greenery, and it's very beautiful IMO. Lots of trees here are deciduous, too, especially the foothills should remind you of Maine. An hour or so from Sac to Tahoe, which has got to be one of the prettiest places in the country.

I love CA though, so welcome!

Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
1. Safety Not in sac - but in Roseville and folsom etc
2. Organic Gardens with Farm Stands UMM No
3. Framers Markets Not really - but there are a couple very small ones
4. Good Schools for elementary school aged kids Once again - not in Sac - you'll have to go to another community like Roseville or Folsom
5. Beautiful nature (green trees) TONS
6. Weather thats not TOOO hot It's VERY hot in Sacramento - it can be in the 100s (on and off) from June through Sept
7. Good Economy (I work in the nonprofit sector, hubby is an electrician) Lots of jobs - but houses cost more then the average income
8. A strong sense of community--not just mile after mile of subdivisions - Maybe?
9. Liberal or Democratic vibe. Calif is Republican state - but there are some Demorcratic areas - look in Davis
10. Housing market where we could buy in the 250 range.... maybe upto 300 range if we don't eat one week a month. NOPE - no way - not unless you are in the Ghetto

Old 04-30-2007, 09:44 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
4. Good Schools for elementary school aged kids Once again - not in Sac - you'll have to go to another community like Roseville or Folsom
6. Weather thats not TOOO hot It's VERY hot in Sacramento - it can be in the 100s (on and off) from June through Sept
7. Good Economy (I work in the nonprofit sector, hubby is an electrician) Lots of jobs - but houses cost more then the average income
8. A strong sense of community--not just mile after mile of subdivisions - Maybe?
9. Liberal or Democratic vibe. Calif is Republican state - but there are some Demorcratic areas - look in Davis
10. Housing market where we could buy in the 250 range.... maybe upto 300 range if we don't eat one week a month. NOPE - no way - not unless you are in the Ghetto
#9 What? Are you nuts? California is a DEMOCRATIC state!!! Big Time! I believe it was the 10th most Democratic state in the 2004 election. There are some Republican areas in the underpopulated inland areas, but the coast is Democratic except for San Diego and Orange Counties. However even those two areas have been trending a little bit to the Left in recent decades.

#2 and #5 Move to the North Coast - Mendocino & Humboldt Counties. Very Green, Very Organic, Very Democratic.

#6 And the North Coast is NEVER hot.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:04 PM

325 posts, read 1,473,443 times
Quote:
#1 -- There are safe areas in Sacramento. You do not have to go out to the 'burbs.
#2 -- Not a ton of organic farms with stands, but there are numerous organic farms that deliver weekly boxes to either a drop-off point or your home.
#3 -- There are excellent farmer's markets. There's the year-round one under the freeway (8th & W) and three other year-round markets. Then there are seven other seasonal markets. These are just in the city proper.
#4 -- There are good elementary school in Sacramento. The elementary school with the highest API score in the region is in Sacramento. There are other really good elementary schools in the city proper. Though in general, the schools in suburbs like Folsom, Roseville and Granite Bay are better.
#6 -- The valley is hot. Not in the winter, but Summer's hot and Spring & Fall have their hot days too. Cools down at night, though, around Sacramento.
#7 -- Economy's pretty steady here.
#8 -- Really depends on the neighborhood in any city around here. Can be weak in the tracts and strong in the old parts of town. Really varies.
#9 -- Again, really depends. I think the Sacto area is pretty blue, especially the suburbs. But, as more and more Bay Area transplants move here, it's loosening up.
#10 -- It would be very difficult to find in that price range.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:00 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
It is democratic? Sorry I've been gone for a bit (but moving back) and my republican parents must have tweaked with my head! ~

And the Farmer's Market I was thinking of is the one under the freeway at W st. But I was never impressed with it as compared to most farmer's markets - but once again I haven't been in a while and I'm now used to the Seattle ones...let's talk Liberal and Green conscious!

And yes - there are some good schools in Sac - but it's hit or miss and comparably to the outer communities like Roseville or Folsom or Granite bay - they are well ahead of Sacramento. Althought Sutter Junior High does kick butt!.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:01 AM

325 posts, read 1,473,443 times
Quote:
It is democratic? Sorry I've been gone for a bit (but moving back) and my republican parents must have tweaked with my head! ~

And the Farmer's Market I was thinking of is the one under the freeway at W st. But I was never impressed with it as compared to most farmer's markets - but once again I haven't been in a while and I'm now used to the Seattle ones...let's talk Liberal and Green conscious!

And yes - there are some good schools in Sac - but it's hit or miss and comparably to the outer communities like Roseville or Folsom or Granite bay - they are well ahead of Sacramento. Althought Sutter Junior High does kick butt!.
The freeway farmer's market is steady. I find myself going to all the different ones because each one has certain things that I like. The farmer's market I miss is Madison, Wisconsin's. The one around the Capitol Square on Saturdays is -- by far -- the best one I've ever, ever been to.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:44 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
I would suggest oldtown roseville. It is a good area with good schools, and you may be able to find a very small house in that range.
Oldtown does have character, and is not just tract homes.

Orangevale if you could find a cheaper home would also be a good choice, it is a rural feel, yet also relatively close to downtown.

Also look into citrus heights, and carmichael.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:17 AM

914 posts, read 2,919,423 times
Quote:
I would suggest oldtown roseville. It is a good area with good schools, and you may be able to find a very small house in that range.
Oldtown does have character, and is not just tract homes.
Ummmm, yeah, if by character you mean having a vagrant urinate on your front lawn. Yeah, there are a lot of "characters" downtown/old town. Compared to many similar places in other cities, the older areas are not too bad, crime-wise, but there are still pockets that have the usual problems like gangs, drugs, unkept houses, break-ins, etc. And because of the railroad, there are an inordinate number of transients/homeless who wander the streets in various neighborhoods looking for hand-outs or just a place to curl up and go to sleep.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:47 AM

433 posts, read 2,356,498 times
Sounds like you might want to check out Groveland, Sonora or Angels Camp.

They are in the southern Mother Lode (Sierra) foothills. You get your trees. You get your good elementary schools. You get your fruit stands. You DON'T get too many Democrats though. The foothills are 70 to 80% GOP. They tend to be be the small government/libertarian types.

You might have to buy a fixer in that price range, but you should find something decent enough if you put some elbow grease into the deal.

You can't afford Davis. You can't afford Sac. And you certainly can't afford areas closer to the coast.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento