U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-31-2007, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 18,081 times
Default Thinking Of Moving Near Lake Tahoe

My husband and I have three children and live in the Central Valley of Northern California. We are thinking of moving to Truckee California. We really love the Lake Tahoe area and think it might be a great place to finish raising our children. Does anyone know anything about the Truckee area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 12:36 AM

788 posts, read 2,968,051 times
I don't know much, but since no one else has responded, I will share what little I do know.

It is a small town. Cute. I think it would be a good place to raise children--it seems like the crime rate would be low. I don't know anything about the schools...

You will get snow in the winter which can sometimes cause problems if you try to get in or out of the town. Accidents during winter are common on the fwys near the town.

Reno and Lake Tahoe are near which is nice. Sacramento will be your closest and biggest city which is about a 1 1/2 hour to 2 hour drive. Reno is the next biggest place and I believe it is only about a 1/2 hour from Truckee--maybe a little longer.

Since you really love the Lake Tahoe area perhaps you should look into Carson City, NV as potential relocation town too?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:09 AM

375 posts, read 1,158,663 times
It is a beautiful area.

I personally wouldn't raise a family there. Lots of tourist coming and going. The schools are not that great. Most of the children are spanish because their parents work for hotels, vacation rentals and contractors. My stepson was living at one of the private schools there and there were plenty of drugs going around.

I hope you like snow in the winter, because it gets tons of it in the winter. It's one of the coldest places in CA.

There isn't a lot of entertainment in this town. It's great for skiing, hiking & fishing. Not a lot of things for small kids to do.

There are 6 Sex Offenders that are mapped and 8 Non-Mappable Offenders.
Numbers go up during the summer and winter.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:31 PM

168 posts, read 611,918 times
What about Pollock Pines on Hwy 50? It's about an hour from South Lake Tahoe. PP gets snow but not as much as Truckee.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:03 PM

375 posts, read 1,158,663 times
Facts and Figures (broken link)

I read there are 19 registered sex offenders living in Pollock Pines in early 2007.

Looks like they have decent home prices.

Also check out Lake of the Pines in Auburn. They have 3 good schools right by this development. It's great for kids!

Old 07-14-2007, 11:05 PM

4 posts, read 16,155 times
I grew up in Auburn, and i can say that they have great schools, and there are lots of things to do (if you like the outdoors, hiking, biking, the river). It's not the small town that it used to be, and homes are expensive (like everywhere else in cali). But, its about an hour and a half from tahoe, which makes it great for weekend trips. There are closer lakes and rivers to play in though. Lake of the pines is a good area. Nevada City might be another option for you. There's a similar "small town" atmosphere like Truckee, but with better schools. Also check out El Dorado Hills, and Folsom. Hope this helps!

Old 07-20-2007, 11:36 AM

332 posts, read 640,659 times
Pollock Pines...is a little dicey, IMO, with kids. It is beautiful up there, but let's put it this way, many local school bus drivers prefer to NOT drive the Pollock Pines kids because of their attitudes. Not that they're all like that, but there's a low socio-economic element in PP, that just don't seem to supervise their kids, and have an "I'll do what I want you just f... off" kind of attitude. If you come lower, down into Placerville or Shingle Springs, it's okay. If you're looking for small-town, "country" life, I don't recommend El Dorado Hills or Folsom. Not in the country, El Dorado Hills can be quite snobby, Folsom is a pretty suburb if you want a suburb.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:47 AM

7 posts, read 25,408 times
I wouldn't say the Tahoe area is cold!! It is very dry, and the sun is ALWAYS shining (unless it's snowing). It does snow a lot, but very nice in between storms. Cold perhaps compared to southern California, but no comparrison to a lot of the US with the humid hot summers and humid bone chilling winters. The summers in Tahoe are to die for, and a swim in the Lake will make your day - - every time!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:55 AM

69 posts, read 245,355 times
Default check out this site

Town of Truckee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento