Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,026 times

Advertisements

[quote=Rattlenhum;13278849]Hello Friends,

I am planning to buy a house in Elk Grove. I'm currently in Seattle. My reasons are: cheap houses, good school district, lower utilities.

Lower utilities in Sacramento?? Wow - are you misinformed.
Seattle City Light has some of the most inexpensive electricity in the country.
Wait until you get your summertime SMUD bill due to the sweltering heat -- for an average three bedroom home, try 250 to 400 dollars a month for electricity !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:49 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,893,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Calm down, at 9am I was at work, and at 9pm I was tending to my wife and child, try to be mature about this.
Trolls feed off each other. Once the moderator let Majin get away with as much as he does for as long as he has- it lowered the level of discourse and encouraged other people to start trolling more aggressively. But the moderator is a well intended, if somewhat busy guy. I suspect/hope he will start clamping down on this.

As for good non-chain restaurants in Elk Grove, I would try out some of the following.

Boulevard Bistro
8941 Elk Grove Blvd
Elk Grove, CA 95624
(916) 685-2220
www.blvdbistro.com

Vince's Italian Restaurant
8901 Elk Grove Florin Rd
Elk Grove, CA 95624
(916) 423-1060

Kabob Palace
9168 Franklin Blvd Ste C
Elk Grove, CA 95758
(916) 391-0280

Pho Anh Duc EastWest Cafe
9261 Laguna Springs Dr
Ste 130
Elk Grove, CA 95758
(916) 684-9988

Sunflower Chinese Cuisine
8469 Elk Grove Blvd Ste 9
Elk Grove, CA 95759
(916) 684-7176

There is a lot of Asian restaurants in Elk Grove for the same reason you can find a lot Soul Food Restaurants in Oak Park. There are a lot of Asians in Elk Grove, so the neighborhood supports a lot of Asian restaurants.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:55 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,158,614 times
I let the mods do their job, but all things aside, I agree. It really is just asinine when you get people making these silly claims that elk grove does not have good places to eat or that there are no parks, , good schools, safe neighborhoods, etc. I'm just sitting here thinking, "based on what?" Don't get me wrong, Elk Grove is no Granite Bay, but it is a decent suburb.

In terms of aesthetics a lot elk grove really is not much different than folsom or rocklin(you could blanket these entire cities with the good areas of elk grove) or the rest of sacramento at large. I suspect the fact that the place is less established and much less white than other places and as a result much less hostile to middle class black and brown folks, has some thing to do with the negativity towards Elk Grove.

You never hear the type of things said about Elk Grove when talking about Roseville or Rocklin or Folsom (all extremely auto centric suburbs regardless of the fact that they actually have rail tranisit options), or even downscale Citrus Heights (which is still mostly white), but Elk Grove seems to endure this hatered...

Peoples various issues with certian demographics are often what really turns the wheel.

And yea I forgot Sun flower chinese, that place is great!!

Old 03-17-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
I let the mods do their job, but all things aside, I agree. It really is just asinine when you get people making these silly claims that elk grove does not have good places to eat or that there are no parks, , good schools, safe neighborhoods, etc. I'm just sitting here thinking, "based on what?" Don't get me wrong, Elk Grove is no Granite Bay, but it is a decent suburb.
Fair enough.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:47 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,259,694 times
The Stockton Blvd Asian restaurants are better.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:50 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,259,694 times
Quote:
In terms of aesthetics a lot elk grove really is not much different than folsom or rocklin(you could blanket these entire cities with the good areas of elk grove) or the rest of sacramento at large. I suspect the fact that the place is less established and much less white than other places and as a result much less hostile to middle class black and brown folks, has some thing to do with the negativity towards Elk Grove.
I'll definitely agree to this however wburg and I's hatred for Elk Grove has nothing to do with it being ethnically diverse.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:42 PM

No its caused mostly by your ceaseless desire to troll here.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:42 PM

15 posts, read 46,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
... it's ELK GROVE.

Look, if you want to live in a city with some nice tract home neighborhoods, go to Elk Grove. If you want somewhat safe areas, and every major store you could ever think of, go to Elk Grove. If you want to live 15-30 min from the capital of California, go to Elk Grove. If you want culture,arts,and hole in the wall restraunts that charge 25 dollars for a water, then live 15-30 minutes north and don't complain about the extra cost.

I'm not trying to be rude, but it's Elk Grove people, it's not going to be more than what it is.
+1

Except I would say it's not going to be LESS than what it is. Elk Grove is the prototypical suburb. Safe, Good school, variety of shopping and eating--both national chains AND moms/pops.

Certainly less high society stuff, but most people will travel 30min north to Gulch for that if they need it. And I must remind those 'high society' foo foo type people in Sac on what their San Francisco elite think of the Sac people as a whole....mind the stones one cast.

Elk Grove is a suburb. A nice, safe suburb with safe public schools that can hang with almost any other public school system in Sacramento, let alone California.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:44 PM

762 posts, read 2,029,734 times
The schools there are supposed to be very, very good... not sure if this is district wide or not, but I know high rated schools are available in Elk Grove. If you factor in how inexpensive it is to buy/live there right now... it is a good choice for a valley suburb! One other thing that is nice is the nice delta breeze. There are tons of recreational things to do there also.

The downside is that it doesn't have a lot of character, and of course it is full of strip malls, it is the epitome of generic suburb sprawl. But what the heck, if I am looking for a suburb, the schools, and the cul-de-sac, I would be enjoying life on my concrete patio backyard with the fountain and pool if I'm lucky, and my kid would have their choice of karate studios excetera! If I want to go downtown to eat somewhere swanky, it is super close. The houses are huge, newer, and inexpensive, and there are parks everywhere. Shopping is close, and I'll say it again, I love the delta breeze.

In fact, I'm surprised to be saying this, but I almost prefer EG to the more "upscale" suburb/bedroom towns right now because you arguably get the same thing for a better price- (depending on the old growth tree situation on each lot).

Old 03-17-2010, 07:14 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,273,146 times
Heck, all I wanted to point out was that Daphne's is a chain, not a judgment about its quality as a restaurant. I even like them, and have visited their Midtown location. It's closer to my price range, too.

Majin: I'm not your buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento