Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:36 AM

6 posts, read 36,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllmyDaysinRancho View Post
I have no idea how long you've been out here, but Rancho Cordova is nowhere close to Douglas or Elk Grove. Get your geography straight before you give someone your opinion of where to live. You don't even know where you are!
The Anatolia subdivision is zoned to the Elk Grove school district (at least until they finish building the school's there.

OP, I lived in Rancho for a year last year. I'm a single male. I pretty much tried to shy away from living north of US50 because it is a bit older. If you don't midn the traffic and the commute the Anatolia area is worth a look. It was recently built. The downsides are the long commute on Sunrise, the bad traffic on Sunrise + Douglas intersection, and the fact that there are no stores down there. The nearest grocery store is on Folsom Blvd.

But if you're only going to be there for a year it's worth a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 PM

49 posts, read 383,656 times
Quote:
I have no idea how long you've been out here, but Rancho Cordova is nowhere close to Douglas or Elk Grove. Get your geography straight before you give someone your opinion of where to live. You don't even know where you are!
Are you thinking of Douglas Blvd in Granite Bay/ Roseville? Douglas Rd is in fact in Rancho Cordova. The Anatolia neighborhood in the Elk Grove school district even though it is in the city in Rancho Cordova.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:01 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,106,052 times
Quote:
Well, having lived there for my first year out in Sacramento I can tell you that you know less about the place than I did. So much for cheap shot "one post wonders".

Old 07-18-2008, 09:51 PM

815 posts, read 2,687,755 times
Quote:
Geez - what a miserable crab! Sorry if we can't all be walking Thomas Guides. Sheesh!!
And people on here think I'm negative!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:40 PM

11 posts, read 41,740 times
Hi, I lived in Rancho for about 6 mos. & the area I lived in was very ghetto (Folsom Blvd & West La Loma....near the Mather/Mills light rail station. I would say the Gold River area of Rancho is pretty nice.....off of Sunrise Blvd. Good luck!!

Old 05-13-2012, 03:29 PM

409 posts, read 952,558 times
Yes there are good parts of Rancho Cordova if you define good as well kept neighborhoods, low crime and good schools (kids attend the well performing schools within the Elk Grove School District). Anatolia, Kavala Ranch, and Sunridge Park have these features. Stonecreek and Capital Village also are good parts of Rancho but kids attend schools in Rancho Cordova.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,078 times
Quote:
Wow

Rancho Cordova City Hall is about 3 miles to Douglas Rd.

Not that that poster will ever read this.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:26 PM

4 posts, read 5,078 times
Oh and since this thread is so old, I thought I'd add that Anatolia pretty much stalled out. All that is out there is a Walgreens. Looks to be buzzing a little bit out there now though so hopefully things are picking up again.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:17 PM

491 posts, read 1,255,687 times
I've lived in Rancho for six years, first in an apartment and then I bought a house. My kids attended Cordova High School.

The schools are not as bad as one poster indicated. Like most High Schools, Cordova is really two schools: the kids who want to succeed and go on to college are in the AP classes and pretty much stick together and the others who don't care are in the general classes.. I'd say my kids got a pretty good basic education considering that one of them just graduated from an Ivy League college last week and the other one is at another top rated college in the east.

If you are looking for a relatively temporary place to live, the apartments off of Data Drive, specifically, Reserve at Capital are pretty ok, but Old Rancho (that's what it is--"Old Rancho") is tough to judge unless you get a knowledgeable Realtor and spend the time finding the pockets that are acceptable.

Anatolia has environmental problems with ground water. Run searches for Anatolia on this forum and you will find posts about it. Also, there are few stores in the immediate area which gives the feeling of it being isolated.

Rancho is losing stores. One of the major grocery stores (Raleys) just shut down their store at Coloma and Folsom. Also, the NAPA auto parts store closed. The rumor is that some major chains my be red-lining Rancho because of its reputation.

We are supposed to get a Walgreens (they are tearing down an old motel right now where it will be located) on Folsom at Zinfandel and a Panda Express on Olson has been talked about for more than a year, but no sign of construction has been started yet on the Panda. I don't think getting a new Walgreens is great progress, because they seem to come in to just about any kind of neighborhood to get the prescription business. Also, we have plenty of other pharmacies like Walmart and Safeway any way.

The Walmart at Folsom and Zinfandel is one of the worst I've ever shopped at. If Walmarts are important in your shopping plans, be sure and visit it to see what I mean.

Driving down Folsom between Bradshaw and Zinfadel is a must for anyone considering moving here. You will see some very blighted store fronts and almost empty shopping centers.

Rancho is what it is. I would say again, find a really good realtor and look at the pros and many cons. Don't just take a cursory glance at the area. Make a trip here and spend the time really driving around all of the parts to make up your mind.

Last edited by ElectroPlumber; 05-21-2012 at 03:33 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 PM

409 posts, read 952,558 times
Half empty or half full depends on where you live in Rancho.

Raleys closed yet...
Kohls moved in
Target completed a complete remodel of the store
Ross moved next to Target in a remodeled location
Capitol Village in new Rancho is slowly gaining tenants
Relatively new CVS and Walgreens in the newer parts
Walmart recently remodeled..We moved from a highly urban area...definitely seen worse stores in terms of clientele and physical appearance of stores
NAPA auto parts moved I believe to Trade Center Drive

Schools...Rancho developments past Douglas Road are served by high performing Elk Grove Schools. No complaints there.

Neighborhoods south of Douglas Road pay an extra police tax allowing Rancho PD the use of flexible POP teams when trouble develops in contrast to cuts in services experienced by other police departments

Anatolia water comes from the North Vineyard aquafier not from the aquafier underneath Anatolia. Cows entering our food supply still graze in areas overlying contaminated ground water and doesnt appear to present a health problem. Additionally, no reported ill effects on wildlife which are usually the first to demonstrate ill effects due to the short life cycles...just dont plan on digging wells there.

Rancho began to experience growth cut short by the economy tanking. No reason to think that If the economy recovers to historical levels Rancho's housing and retail wont grow...just not in the older parts I suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento