Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 04:54 PM

103 posts, read 203,879 times

Advertisements

Majoring in Environmental Studies from Sac State. Does anyone know of any companies or jobs that rlate to my area of study? Waste, energy, water, oceans....???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 05:49 PM

599 posts, read 1,646,859 times
AECOM and Ascent Environmental Inc.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,882,867 times
What do you want to do with your degree?

A lot of people get into the degree because they are interested in environmental advocacy. But one of the principle occupations for people with your background is writing environmental impacts reports (generally the people paying for these reports are property developers) and that makes for a lot of people who aren't that satisfied with their career choice. You might want to do some informational interviewing of people with this background to make sure this is something you still want to pursue and perhaps see what options are available in government.

If you are interested in advocacy, you might want to check out the Capital Fellows program.

Capital Fellows Programs - Center for California Studies at Sacramento State - Leadership begins here.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:04 PM

534 posts, read 1,525,756 times
Many environmental firms also write EIRs and do research work for government agencies. I've noticed that many firms either work for private property developers OR government agencies - they don't usually pursue both types of work. I have worked in Sacto for environmental consulting companies that work for public agencies, and it can be very interesting and rewarding. I have also worked for the public agencies. In working for public agencies, I would very much scrutinize any report coming from a private developer consultant. I would, under NO circumstances, personally, work for an environmental consultant working for private developers. For me personally, it would be a professional, ethical, oxymoron.

Review the website of any firms you might want to apply to. Ask questions in interviews.

In looking at this website, for local jobs:

AEP - Employment Opportunities (http://www.califaep.org/EmploymentOpportunities - broken link)

Michael Brandman Associates (MBA) is well respected; as is Environmental Science Associates (ESA); I have worked with CirclePoint folks and respected their work.

Others in the area that I have seen work of, are Brown & Caldwell; URS; PMC; RBF; SWCA; Tetra Tech, Jones and Stokes, PBSJ, HDR, Entrix.

See this list for links:
AEP - Advertisers (http://www.califaep.org/Advertisers - broken link)

Also:
American Planning Association APA APA California planning calapa California planning California Chapter APA planning profession professional planners planning conference

Also:
Jobs | Planetizen

Working for a city or county can have its ups and downs. It is VERY political and the decisions that get made by the policy-makers (city council or board of supervisors) is usually not in the best interest of the environment; you have to have a tough skin and know that your professional recommendations are usually put by the wayside in favor of influential developers.

If you have an advocacy bent, check out non-profit jobs:

Environmental Jobs in California -- EcoEmploy

More links:
Cyber-Sierra's Natural Resources Job Search: Find jobs in Environment and Conservation
Environmental Job Listings
Environmental jobs in California

There are still positions in State service. To find out about civil service tests available (you must take before you can APPLY for a job):

Home - Jobs.CA.gov by State Personnel Board

To see what jobs are open right now (vacancy search on VPOS - you must be on a test list):

Vacancy Search (VPOS) - State Personnel Board - spb.ca.gov (http://www.spb.ca.gov/jobs/vpos/index.htm - broken link)

To see what types of jobs might be right for you, check the classifications:

Job Descriptions and Statistical Information - State Personnel Board - spb.ca.gov (http://www.spb.ca.gov/jobs/resources/jobspecs.htm - broken link)

Some classifications you might qualify for are Environmental Planner, Environmental Scientist, Research Analyst, Research Analyst - GIS, etc.

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:11 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,661,130 times
See - told ya. Sacramento/Davis area is the place to be for environmental sciences. Just stay here - you didn't really wanted to go to cold and dark Seattle did you? :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento