Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 05:54 PM

3 posts, read 13,664 times

Advertisements

Im single, 27 and looking to move to Cali for its climate and laid backness. I would be starting all over life wise: Finding a new job, new friends etc... Im concerned with how much money I would need to have saved to give me a chance once I got there to find an apartment in a decent area somewhere in Sacramento (San Diego is 110% higher cost of living than Indianapolis so ...) But Sac seems a little more reasonable for its location. So Im looking for an approximent amount that I should have saved after figuring the cost of moving. Also, what are the women like in their 20's to early 30's in say midtown sac area and close by surrounding areas. What kind of clubs are there to hang out at night etc etc...

Last edited by Marka; 06-16-2007 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: no such language, please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 12:26 AM

788 posts, read 4,068,440 times
There are lots of very attractive women in Sacramento, of all ages. Their personalities are very diverse of course. The single 20 somethings tend to frequent clubs, bars, and happening restaurants that are somehow very club like all over the downtown, midtown area. I think The Park and Empire are the happening clubs right now, but I am not sure. I've been out of the club scene for about 5 years.

As far as rent costs, it will be higher in midtown and downtown. However, I think for a young, single guy the higher rental costs will be worth it since you will be in a hipper area. For rent, you could find a studio, and possibly a not very desirable one bedroom in the 600s and 700s. For a nicer one bedroom, you are looking in the 800s+. The deposit will probably be somewhere around $400.00. If you will not have a job lined up when you move out here, I would try to have a minimum of $3,000.00 saved (that's assuming you'll find a job rather quickly--I was able to get a decent job the first week I moved here, but that was 7 years ago). If you have the job already, then you'll just need deposit, first month's rent, and some grocery and gas money to cover you until you receive your first pay check. Now, my estimates are proabably on the lower side because I have always been able to somehow get away with making moves without much $ and a credit card, but I think I just get lucky.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 7,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeb22 View Post
Im single, 27 and looking to move to Cali for its climate and laid backness. I would be starting all over life wise: Finding a new job, new friends etc... Im concerned with how much money I would need to have saved to give me a chance once I got there to find an apartment in a decent area somewhere in Sacramento (San Diego is 110% higher cost of living than Indianapolis so F--- that sh--) But Sac seems a little more reasonable for its location. So Im looking for an approximent amount that I should have saved after figuring the cost of moving. Also, what are the women like in their 20's to early 30's in say midtown sac area and close by surrounding areas. What kind of clubs are there to hang out at night etc etc...
Well first you must know the differences are vast between SD and Sac. You may be paying more in SD (although shared situations can actually work out quite nicely) but with the higher costs you're also getting way more entertainment and activities (+ the beach!) which I think is extremely important if you are moving away from friends and family. It almost doesn't matter how much money you make, if you're bored and lonely you will probably want to go back home the first chance you get.

I'm 20 something and came to Sac 2 years ago and have found breaking into already formed friendship circles extremely challenging. Also from what I've seen, girls here tend to be on a one way track to finding a husband, moving to the suburbs and having kids. (The Park Ultra Lounge is one such spot you will find dozens of these girls with fake boobs and all over "fakeness" grinding badly to top 40 hip-hop and exhibiting no sense of individuality or personality) 28 year olds on up are a rare find in clubs, but funnily just an hour and a half away in another city (SF) there's a completely different mentality and way of life that much more caters to diversity and forward thinking. So as you can probably guess we find ourselves frequently making the drive all the way lamenting WHY OH WHY Sac CAN'T offer the same. It just doesn't. I think most Sacramentans are ok with that cuz I know people who've tried to bring something new and fresh, sadly they were not received. Very sad. Mainstream and ordinary does well, edgy and new does badly.

Living outside the suburbs, namely in Midtown, offers more diversity and a touch more individuality in it's residents. People I find are more accepting regardless of class or race or whatever. Less stigma. There are some fun clubs: Old Ironsides, Press Club and Shaun Slaughter [http://shaunslaughter.blogspot.com] (broken link) can throw down! It's not SD and it's definitely not SF, but Sac you just have to make the best of as it's really a boring city over all. I think this is a good place to start, just not the place you want to end at... though you never know, it JUST might be your cup of tea. Just not mine. One more year to go!!

Hope this isn't too negative, just giving you my perspective as a semi-newcomer.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:02 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Here is a site explaining things to do in midtown:

midtowngrid.com, Directory for Sacramento, Midtown, Downtown Sacramento, East Sacramento and Old Saccramento Business Directory for shopping, restaurants, hotels, Sacramento's 2nd Saturday Art Walk, Entertainment and more!

Old 06-17-2007, 10:17 PM

11 posts, read 39,149 times
If you are 27 and moving to town, you will have to chase after the younger set. One of the previous posters hit the head on the nail when he said that the women are on a one way track to the burbs and kids. I can tell you why. In a long winded way, risk is not tolerated nor rewarded in Sacramento. The government was a large employer and back in its heydey during the cold war, everyone was either on the state breast or the federal government ninny. When you have a large portion of the population on a scheduled promotion track, towing the line and not making waves somehow follows employees from their square cubes to their sprawling subdivisions.

That said, you can kill in that town your first year with the younger set because you are new. We used to joke that the most attractive guy in Sacramento was the dude that was from someplace else. Even after living there after several years, lie and say you just moved to town.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento