Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 10,897 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering moving to Sacramento for a job. Like the title reads, I do not have friends or family in the area. I was able to visit the city for a weekend for the job interview but am not sure I got a fair assessment of the city.

I'm fairly active and outgoing so would love to know what a daily routine would be in Sacramento from social to nightlife, ways to meet people, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 03:00 AM

4 posts, read 8,701 times
Where do you live right now? If you got the job in Sacramento where exactly would you be working? Downtown Sacramento, Roseville, Folsom?

Did you have any other job offers? If so where?

Old 04-29-2010, 03:10 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldh257 View Post
Hi,

I am considering moving to Sacramento for a job. Like the title reads, I do not have friends or family in the area. I was able to visit the city for a weekend for the job interview but am not sure I got a fair assessment of the city.

I'm fairly active and outgoing so would love to know what a daily routine would be in Sacramento from social to nightlife, ways to meet people, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!
When I used to live in Sac. in the mid 1990s a friend of mine and I joked that it could be called "Anytown USA". It is pleasant (lots of shady trees!), but has a kind of generic feel to it. Very suburban sprawl-ish. If you are outgoing, you probably won't have too big of a problem meeting people.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 10,897 times
Hi, Thanks for the response!

I'm from Philadelphia originally and would be working off of Gateway Oaks Drive, so 5 mins from downtown?

Old 05-07-2010, 09:39 AM

534 posts, read 1,533,298 times
I used to work off of Gateway Oaks Drive, very nice place, good Japanese restaurant around the corner and great Thai place east on El Camino!

Midtown might be great for you. It's got a good vibe, lots of people out and about, walking, biking, eclectic shops, coffee and tea houses, restaurants. Nightlife, and downtown has clubbing. You would be able to bike to work.

Of course, there are some apartments right across the street that are on Gateway Oaks Dr that look pleasant from the outside. You might like that, too.

We moved here 8 years ago without knowing anyone, either. We are very happy here and have friends. You just have to be active and be a joiner, and you'll meet people. If you are a professional, see if there is a local professional organization in your line of work. I have a friend, single guy, that I met right after he moved to Sacto on his own, we worked together. He kept trying to find his niche to meet people, doing swing dancing, frisbee, but finally came into his own and found his "community" with the "Burning Man" community in Sac. They embraced him, and he's feeling at home. I tell you this because it takes persistence and an attitude of challenging yourself to stretch beyond who you think you are. He found a new talent and they celebrate it and he is a happy person. You have to keep that optimism up and believe in yourself .

I might not have the answer to direct you, but someone else might, what are your hobbies/interests?

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2010, 02:11 PM

219 posts, read 624,001 times
Hi!! I will be in the same boat when I move out there. I don't know a soul there, but I am going to school. I want to know a place to get a nice apartment in a safe part of town that is also reasonably priced, and I don't want to live too far outside of Sacramento if I don't have to. Any suggestions??

Old 05-20-2010, 02:52 AM

4 posts, read 17,641 times
I'm in my early twenties and attending CSU Sacramento in Fall. I, too, don't know anyone who lives in the area. I heard east Sacramento, midtown, and campus commons are the best places to live. I heard of this apartment complex in Campus Commons and heard to have good reviews and is located right around the block from campus:

http://www.forrent.com/apartment-com...le/1007259.php

Old 05-21-2010, 06:53 PM

16 posts, read 119,848 times
Default Great way to meet people

My wife and I moved up to the Sactown area a couple of years ago, and while my parents live relatively close (Bay Area), we knew no one here around town. A few months later, we signed up for a season of indoor kickball with the XOSO Sport and Social League (Xoso Sport and Social League | Who says adults can't have recess?) and had a blast. We have met a few hundred people, made some great friends, and had many great times with all the official XOSO activities and many spin-offs. I highly suggest you look into it and sign up to play and have some fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento