Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:25 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
No, Jade Garden is just closed. The place next door that used to be Ricci's is a bar (Image Lounge) that seems to attract a crowd that likes to get into fights.

Capitol Tea Garden is still there--some of my family go there regularly for Sunday dim sum after the farmer's market. The little market around the corner has a great lunch special--$5.25 for an entree with fried rice, chow mein, dim sum and a piece of fried chicken.
My wife and I used to go there regularly for dim sum after the farmers market as well. We also used to buy whole Peking ducks at the little market you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 11:28 AM

92 posts, read 235,183 times
Moderator - we can close this thread now. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:35 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,893 times
[quote=SJbust;13990149]I just visited Sacramento for the second time, and am considering moving there pending getting the job that I want.

For me, the greenery, parks, affordability, and the town & country feel attracts me to it. I also like the many rivers, and the reputation it has for being the most diverse city in the state of California.

Like the saying goes, "it's a nice place to visit".......
If I were you, I would visit at least another two or three times and drive all over town (especially during rush hour). Take a spin through Del Paso Heights, South Sac, and North Highlands. Spend some days here during one of our 105 degree heat waves in July, August, and September with the mucky air quality.
I'm just saying, living anywhere is a whole differen't ball game from moving there so you want to be 100% sure.
Once you're here, it can be very difficult to get the hell out especially once you find a job and start putting down roots.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:40 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarillo View Post
I was born and raised in Sacramento, and so were my parents before me. My family goes back a long ways in Sacramento and I am tired of mid-western suburbanites trying to turn the valley into the disgusting mid-west.

GET OUT.
Although your jaggedness (are you really a fruitarian? that "diet" tends to create / support a more yin and gentle nature) may not resonate well with the folks in S.C. county.
Yikes.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:45 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
If I were you, I would visit at least another two or three times and drive all over town (especially during rush hour). Take a spin through Del Paso Heights, South Sac, and North Highlands. Spend some days here during one of our 105 degree heat waves in July, August, and September with the mucky air quality.
I'm just saying, living anywhere is a whole differen't ball game from moving there so you want to be 100% sure.
Once you're here, it can be very difficult to get the hell out especially once you find a job and start putting down roots.
Living in an area is certainly different from visiting an area. However, what you point out, about the lower economic and higher crime areas, exist in every other decent sized city too.

Likewise, your comment about the weather applies almost everywhere else. For example, in Cleveland the observations you could make have to do with the extreme cold and wind of winter. In Columbus, Ohio, the constant dreary and cloudy days from November through March cause many to complain. In Philly and Washington DC, it is the very hot and muggy summer months, and huge snow storms coming up from the Norfolk area in the winter time. Even folks in Los Angeles and San Diego complain, about the lack of variety in their seasons.

All comes down to what you want to focus on there. You mention the heat, but I could counter it isn't nearly as uncomfortable as the humid east and Midwest, and that the nights and mornings are frequently pretty cool despite the hot afternoons.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Yin and Yang don't exist, but either way we're supposedly supposed to have an equal amount of Yin and Yang. It's all grey.

Incidentally I could care less about Santa Cruz or anything near it, except the nature which is always lovely everywhere on Gaia.

Incidentally #2 - I got your P.M. but I'm reading it tomorrow because I've already reached my 5 P.M. response limit with some other bloke with no life.
Well you've apparently read the message.
And after reading some of your posts (after i sent you the direct message in an attempt to be helpful - you're welcome ) i regretted sending you such a recommendation 'cause it's obviously not a place where you'd be able to flow with.
You have a particularly nasty and aggressive and mean spirited vibe that wouldn't be appreciated in a place where the people are generally gentle, open, tolerant, friendly and non-judgmental and you seem to be none of those.
So good luck in your search for a place that is accepting ... if you can become that, you might find it.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Duality doesn't exist, and thus the absolutes of opposites. All is balance. All is all.

Incidentally #3 - here are some fictional fruitarians who shatter your foolish stereotypes:

* Ayesha ("She-who-must-be-obeyed") of H. Rider Haggard's She and its sequels.
* The Eloi from HG Wells's The Time Machine.
* The evil Medusa Johnson in Leonard Part 6.
* Keziah in Notting Hill. Emma Bernard's character, Keziah, however, claims that fruitarians only eat fruit that has fallen from the tree or bush.
If you've attained a non-dual state of awareness, we'll talk further.
And it's obvious that you have not ... few have.
An abstract / intellectual understanding of such a non dual state of awareness doesn't "count".

The diet may be "clean" and righteous but if the mind and heart have not been sufficiently "purified" it matters little what you put into your body.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
You have no idea how long my visits were. You don't know who I know there, where I've been or how I respond to the world around me. I think you're making assumptions that you shouldn't. I'm very aware of the areas you mentioned. I'd be foolish to expect Sacramento to be perfection.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:48 PM

19 posts, read 36,236 times
Yea....but it's a dry heat.

And believe me, that makes a TREMENDOUS difference. My friends in the south (as in Alabama, Georgia...the like) are just wilting in the horrific heat of the summer. It's in the high 80's to 90's.

Uh. What?

They think I'm insane that I don't turn on the air conditioner when the temps hit the 80's. Uh...why? LOL!

Yes. It can get over 100 for several days in a row. But then the Delta breeze kicks in and it's wonderful. But that usually happens maybe once or twice a summer. That's when our family tradition kicks in. On the fourth night, we have ice cream for dinner. That's when we've had our fill of salad for dinner!

I find my allergies are no worse here than in Orange County. But I'm an allergic kind of person! Speaking of Alabama.... my allergies are HORRIFIC there. I've never been so allergy sick.... But it really depends on what your allergen is. For me, it's trees.

As you surely know, some places are better than others. And what that 'better' looks like is as individual as the person. Additionally, it might change. My husband and I are downtown living sort of people. But it wasn't some place we wanted to raise our children. So it was off to the suburbs for us. We lived downtown before children. We may live there after children. Who knows. But we do stuff downtown, are Kings season ticket holders..... and do stuff with friends in our suburb!

I don't know of any major companies that have pulled out. Of course, there aren't many major companies outside of the State in Sacramento to begin with. (those that are here are usually as contractors to the state) The Hard Rock Cafe was highly visible. But it wasn't a Major Employer.

If you have a job here, it's a good time to move here. Housing prices are down and you can probably get a good deal. Especially if you sell in SJ.

The suburbs all have their different personalities too. So if you are suburb inclined, poking around and seeing which fits would be worth your time.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie L. View Post
Yea....but it's a dry heat.

And believe me, that makes a TREMENDOUS difference. My friends in the south (as in Alabama, Georgia...the like) are just wilting in the horrific heat of the summer. It's in the high 80's to 90's.

Uh. What?

They think I'm insane that I don't turn on the air conditioner when the temps hit the 80's. Uh...why? LOL!

Yes. It can get over 100 for several days in a row. But then the Delta breeze kicks in and it's wonderful. But that usually happens maybe once or twice a summer. That's when our family tradition kicks in. On the fourth night, we have ice cream for dinner. That's when we've had our fill of salad for dinner!

I find my allergies are no worse here than in Orange County. But I'm an allergic kind of person! Speaking of Alabama.... my allergies are HORRIFIC there. I've never been so allergy sick.... But it really depends on what your allergen is. For me, it's trees.

As you surely know, some places are better than others. And what that 'better' looks like is as individual as the person. Additionally, it might change. My husband and I are downtown living sort of people. But it wasn't some place we wanted to raise our children. So it was off to the suburbs for us. We lived downtown before children. We may live there after children. Who knows. But we do stuff downtown, are Kings season ticket holders..... and do stuff with friends in our suburb!

I don't know of any major companies that have pulled out. Of course, there aren't many major companies outside of the State in Sacramento to begin with. (those that are here are usually as contractors to the state) The Hard Rock Cafe was highly visible. But it wasn't a Major Employer.

If you have a job here, it's a good time to move here. Housing prices are down and you can probably get a good deal. Especially if you sell in SJ.

The suburbs all have their different personalities too. So if you are suburb inclined, poking around and seeing which fits would be worth your time.
Hi Georgie. I appreciate your comments.

Yeah, the summers I've experienced here are much more bearable for me compared to the southern and mid-western counterpart. Those are some muggy, humid summers; just awful.

I'm definitely not a suburbanite. I like culture and character of city life, and if I'm not in it, I prefer to be just a hop to it.

Fortunately, I have no allergies at all. I used to have chronic sinusitis but my yoga practice cleared it up. I find that the dry climate really suits me.
And I love the rain in the winter.

It's funny to hear the opinions and negativity about Sacramento here, from the forums, as well as some folks I've come in contact with.

I used to live in the worst part of downtown LA. Not only was there run-down neighborhoods, but there were homeless tents & cardboard boxes on the streets, substance abuse, mental illness, prostitution, human feces on the sidewalks, etc.

Trust me, Sacramento is fine by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento