Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:26 PM

5 posts, read 89,432 times

Advertisements

hello people! i have a question here for you so please tell me. i am new here and from stockton. japanese college student actually. i think i like STKN very much so far but i hear this so often. "stockton is bad, the crime and everything" i plan to stay in STKN as long as i do but this got me caught up since. i hope not. i know the crime rate and all that but i dont see it happening nowhere in town usually. people here seem a bit more quiet than other places because of this bad STKN reputation in the air. STKN is actually a pretty comfortable place to live if there was no bad reputation. so tell me. what you people truely feel around this area. we dont wanna give up easily on this you know. gotta save the town as much as we should. thank you. joe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:14 PM

88 posts, read 328,312 times
Stockton does not have a good reputation and I believe has the 2nd highest crime rate in California. Stockton also has some of the worst economic problems with unemployment, home foreclosures, etc...However, I know a couple people that live in Stockton and like it and always defend it. I suppose Stockton can be a decent place to live depending on your personal situation, but if you took a survey I think you'd find most people do not consider it a desireable place.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:31 PM

5 posts, read 89,432 times
thanks! anything else?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 19,595 times
even most asian and white people here do poorly on state standardized testing if that says anything

Old 07-03-2010, 06:01 AM

67 posts, read 209,677 times
My girlfriend used to live in Stockton. It really was the worst city I've ever been to; basically like being in a third world country. I think it was the type of people there that made it crappy.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:36 AM

20 posts, read 39,679 times
I take you're going to UOP? Stockton is a bit janky compared to a lot of other northern CA communities IME. I wouldn't make it a permanent residence.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:41 PM

78 posts, read 335,376 times
It seems the people that dislike Stockton the most are people that have never lived there and/or got gas along I-5 or 99 and never bothered to drive in & around the actual city. IMO it's not that bad at all, is it Walnut Creek or some sweet bay area town - no, are there better places in CA to live - hell yeah, but it certainly isn't "like a third world country" that made me LOL. Just about every town has a good & bad side, you just need to know where to look I guess.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:07 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 405travelgirl View Post
It seems the people that dislike Stockton the most are people that have never lived there and/or got gas along I-5 or 99 and never bothered to drive in & around the actual city. IMO it's not that bad at all, is it Walnut Creek or some sweet bay area town - no, are there better places in CA to live - hell yeah, but it certainly isn't "like a third world country" that made me LOL. Just about every town has a good & bad side, you just need to know where to look I guess.

Haha. I see it similar to you but on the opposite end. I would assume you have never been around the town if you have not noticed the third world feel.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,895,511 times
Stockton is a lot like Oak Park, Bryte or Del Paso Heights. Lots of gangstas, hookers, winos and open air drug markets.

But it also has a bunch of old buildings and lots of places to find cheap Mexican food.

In Sacramento you will find people who will defend Oak Park, Bryte and Del Paso Heights too.

But I wouldn't want to live in any of these places.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:01 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Stockton seems like a country version of oakland. There are some okay parts like brookside, quail lakes, the area around the old country club, uop area and what not, but the crime rate is insane and the schools are terrible. Even lincoln high is relatively lackluster/unmeritorious and in Mr. Spanos's neck of the woods. (The billionare who owns the san diego chargers). The private schools are okay though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento