Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:52 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times

Advertisements

i asked the exact same question a couple years ago! yeah i hate Salem. but i suppose it's not without some redeeming qualities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,619 times
I am from the mid-west and have lived in Salem for about a year. I find it to be a little too quite, and somewhat depressing. I am used to living in a much more progrssive town, building going on and not so many depressed housing areas. Seems like many home areas here are not well cared for, lots of "junk" around. Seems to lack in pride of ownership.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:42 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You know you apologized for your thread title and potentially offending some people so clearly you knew that your choice of words wasn't going to be popular.

Wow...Salem really is filled with people who worship at it's feet like a cult(like I always suspected). Otherwise, why on earth would anybody get offended that someone thinks their precious town sucks ? WHO CARES ???

Old 04-19-2011, 05:14 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Wow...Salem really is filled with people who worship at it's feet like a cult(like I always suspected). Otherwise, why on earth would anybody get offended that someone thinks their precious town sucks ? WHO CARES ???
I wasn't offended at all. The OP or mods deleted their comment that this comment was in response to. I was pointing out the irony to the OP that they got offended when someone called them on the use of the word suck in the thread after they apologized for the use of the word in their opening thread.

You are reading into things that aren't there. I feel bad for you.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:18 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times
My bad Silverfall. Sorry.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,939 times
salem does suck if you ask me, the only reason I live here is because i used to work for the state and my job was here and so is my house. housing prices are very low so I'm having a hard time moving because I owe more than I can get for my house. also a lot of forclosed houses, unemployment is high here- a trader joes opened here in town and 2,800 people applied for a job! from end of oct. to june you see the sun maybe a dozen times, it raines for weeks at a time, there is no night life in this town-sucks if your single, no up-scale restaurants, hispanic gangs and drugs keeps increasing, the north and central parts of town are like mexico- very hispanic. homeless people on every major street corner but on the plus side it's scenic, green, and if you want to buy a house you can get one cheap!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:44 PM

334 posts, read 486,810 times
salem sucks....a few rich areas for the upper class but mostly cheap and ugly.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:11 PM

63 posts, read 116,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
salem sucks....a few rich areas for the upper class but mostly cheap and ugly.
Are you referring to Lancaster Ave. lol Every time we are in Salem my gf wants to eat on Lancaster and I think WTH does she see in this place?

I like the westside, it's quite and seems nice. Not impressed with the downtown area, but I don't shop a whole lot anyway. Salem is workable. If I was looking for a cheaper place away from the traffic of Portland I'd pick Salem. But, I'm more a city person, the traffic doesn't bother me, and like the OP I like what Portland has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem